PDA

View Full Version : Server/Video Rendering Machine

PB PM
2013-07-31, 17:11
To start off I'd like to note that my current machine (2011 iMac, 2.7Ghz Core i5, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, with 6-8 external drives) is plenty fast so I'm not looking for speed improvements. I'm looking for a machine that can render 1080p video, and also work as a file server for my data. Basically I'm tired of my iMac being bogged down by importing/rendering video files when I have other projects to work on. I'm also not looking to break the bank, so I don't want to spend much more than $1000. This machine would act as a secondary computer/workstation. I already have an SSD (that I would use as an OS drive), a keyboard, mouse and a 22" LCD to use with whatever I choose.

I only see two viable options presently:

1) An older generation Mac Pro. I have my eye on some 8 Core 2.26Ghz early 2009 models that are off lease, and sold by reputable Apple resellers for about $1000. I like this option because I can put four drives (1 SSD + 3 HDD) in the machine to store my data and run the OS (I'm assuming I would want to run Mac OSX Server on there). The machines have 6-8GB of RAM, which I might want to upgrade, but that could wait till later. I also like that it has plenty of Firewire ports and the ability to add eSATA via PCI-E cards should I want to add additional storage.

2) A current Generation Mac Mini Server. The Mini can be loaded with a decent amount of storage space, and an SSD, but that would drive the price out of my budget. I would be looking at the stock model as a result. A refurb mini sever is also a sub option.

I like the Mac Mini for the size and the fact that it would likely have lower power consumption. The other side of the coin is that the 8 Core Mac Pro would likely crush the Mini when it comes to video rendering (correct me if I'm way off base here), and allow for greater file storage internally, that I can upgrade as I see fit.

Anything thing I'm missing or not considering? I thought about a thunderbolt solution for file storage, but that doesn't deal with my iMac being bogged down rendering video files, so I am not looking to go that route.

turtle
2013-07-31, 18:18
Personally from what you're saying I would go for the Mini with the biggest CPU you can find for the cheapest. Since this is a second machine you wouldn't be hurt too bad by it's lesser stats for rendering. However, you don't need server software. Unless there is something specific you are looking for in the Server OS App set it would be a waste of your money. File sharing between the two Macs won't be limited in any way between normal Mac OS machines.

While upgrade abilities are nice for the Mac Pro option, it doesn't sound like it's what you need really. If you aren't going to be crunching video constantly then the gain of the Mac Pro doesn't seem worth it to me in your case.

PB PM
2013-07-31, 18:39
The downside of the standard mini to me is the drives. First of all, the 5400rpm drive in the mini is slow, and the price of upgrading it to an SSD is a ripoff. Second, the non-server version of the mini only has one drive bay, which would not address the need for more internal storage. I already have a boat load of external drives and adding more just doesn't work from a practical standpoint.

Edited:
Keep in mind, I'm not just trying to off load CPU usage, but also data storage. That is why I am considering the options I listed. I'd rather have more data coming out of the second machine than totally cluttering my desk space with externals. As things stand right now I cannot hope to keep the unedited video files, which is fine for now, but could be problematic down the road.

turtle
2013-07-31, 19:16
Well, if data storage is high on the list then you should go with the Pro. Easy as that. No Server apps as they aren't a need for you. This allow you to add drives to the box as high as 4TB each.

That being said, you can buy drives to put into the Mini and upgrade the mini yourself. I think it comes with the ability to add the second drive on the motherboard but I'm not sure and not planning to pool it up right now. In the end it would cost you because of the upgrades that mean it would lose the value.

Mac Pro is my vote due to the internal storage issue based on your recent post.

Personally I would get the mini though. If I were in your shoes that is. The internal storage need isn't that great as the power savings and ability to do external drives would work for me. Also, I would upgrade my mini personally using something like the guides in this video (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/mac-mini-aluminum-unibody-faq/how-to-upgrade-hard-drive-aluminum-unibody-mac-mini.html).

PB PM
2013-07-31, 19:34
Normally I would agree that the standard mini is the better buy, simply because it is newer tech. After seeing what you have to do to add extra drives to the newer Mini's (namely voiding the warranty) I want nothing to do with it.

If I didn't already have 6-8 external drives in use now (between backups and extra storage) I would be willing to go the route. The idea though is to use the secondary machines extra storage in addition to the existing drives, not to replace them! As it is I would need to add an additional external for the new machine for backup purposes.

turtle
2013-07-31, 20:00
Opening your computer voids the warranty? I haven't seen that in my experience. Sure if you break it while working on it, but not if you follow the steps. It's not very technical of a process.

Then I would recommend the Mini and a NAS. Something like this one by Synology (http://www.amazon.ca/Synology-Diskstation-Diskless-Network-Attached/dp/B008U69LC4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1375318115&sr=8-7&keywords=synology). It allow up to 16TB of storage with more likely 12TB of storage and a 1 drive failure tolerance.

Really, look for the computer that's going to do the job you need CPU wise. Look for a NAS to do the job of storage you need. With the level of image/videos you store you should stop trying to do them in one unit. Invest in real storage for your storage needs.

PB PM
2013-07-31, 23:08
Opening the computer doesn't void the warranty, but changing parts that Apple doesn't consider "user replaceable" does. I might be way off, but I think removing the logicboard to change the HDD would not fall under what they would consider "user replaceable". Taking the machine apart is no issue for me, I've built PCs and fixed my old Macs in the past. I just don't do it when the machine is under warranty. All I need is some snot nosed Genus telling me "oh you've opened this up sorry we wont replace...." this logicboard with a fried GPU or something like that.

A NAS could work, but if all I wanted was more external storage a Thunderbolt RAID setup would be superior. A TB connected device would be much faster than a network bound storage solution like that Synology. The point is, I would rather have more storage and a video cruncher in one package to minimize the number of power cords etc. Looking under my desk you might have a hard time finding the floor through the all cables. :lol: I'm exaggerating of course, but it sure feels that way!

I know I sound like I really want the Mac Pro, but I don't! They are big, power hungry beasts, something I'd rather avoid to be honest. Looking at my original post, you see I have a budget, and I posted the two realistic options I have within that budget. I could get a tricked out Mini now, but the NAS or Thunderbolt setup would have to wait, for maybe a year.

PB PM
2013-08-01, 13:12
I've decided that if I do add a second machine, I'll go with a Mini. I can work on the storage solution at a later date, when it becomes more of an issue.