PDA

View Full Version : Digital Stage Pianos / Synthesizer Workstations

Batman
2013-11-04, 00:40
Well hello everybody---it seems like it's been forever! I haven't been around here nearly as often as I used to be, but I hope there are still some musical folks around who might be able to help out!

I'm currently in the market for an 88-key, fully-weighted action digital stage piano or synthesizer workstation. I'm a fairly serious pianist, organist, clarinettist, vocalist, well, let's just say I do a little bit of everything music related. Ideally, I'd be able to use whichever instrument I go with both for home practice (apartment living; the dream piano (http://www.steinway.com/pianos/steinway/grand/model-b/) is several years, square feet, and tens of thousands of dollars off) and gigging.

My primary considerations are probably key-feel, at least one really solid piano sample, and DAW integration. When I gig in pit orchestras, I like being able to control my software stack and synth sets straight from the keyboard.

Does anybody here have experience shopping this specific market? And if so, any impressions on which models or brands to look at? Obviously I'm going to be heading out to a number of local music shops to test-drive some instruments, get a feel for the key-feel, capabilities, etcetera. My past experiences have primarily been with Yamaha, and they seem to be pretty popular in the pro-scene as well (the keyboardists in Wicked's pit seemed to be on Yamaha S90 XS's across the board).

Any advice would be appreciated!