PDA

View Full Version : Any SSD recommendations? (Nov 2013)

turtle
2013-11-22, 19:56
I'm in need of a new SSD for my MBP. I currently run an Intel SSDSA2M160G2GC (160GB) but it's giving drive errors regularly now. I've tried repairing them but it's not clearing.

So I know things have changed a lot since I last looked into SSDs and would like some input on the best SSD for the money for my MBP. I'm looking to get something near the 250GB line this time. I'm going to see about repairing and marking blocks bad on this one and repurposing it to my Hackintosh once I replace it. I'm sure there is plenty of life left in it.

The overwhelming reports so far is avoid OCZ at all costs. I'm good with that after what I've seen. I'm fine with another Intel or Samsung etc. I don't mind paying for quality since I don't want to have to replace it any time soon.

Eugene
2013-11-22, 20:06
Samsung 840 Pro or 840 EVO. Done.

PB PM
2013-11-22, 20:08
As you supposed Intel or Samsung seem to have the best drives. I have an OCZ, several years old now, that hasn't given me any trouble. I use it as an external drive, not a boot drive though.

Eugene
2013-11-22, 20:19
OCZ tends to ship new drives/controllers to market before anyone else. This pretty much means they use their buyers as guinea pigs for unripe beta firmwares, software, etc. OCZ has also seen much financial turmoil over the years. They used to be a huge enthusiast/gamer memory brand...now they only do SSDs and rebadge PSUs on the side.

There have been several rumors recently that OCZ may simply go out of business. Their shares fell to penny stock levels a week ago and they just laid off 15% of their staff.

Don't buy anything OCZ branded for now.

SpecMode
2013-11-22, 22:20
Another vote for Samsung here; I've been running an 840 Pro in my gaming machine for a while with no issues whatsoever.

turtle
2013-11-23, 20:15
Well, I ended up getting an awesome deal on an Intel 530 (Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DTPYT78/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item)) for $170. Very nice deal if you asked me for this drive. :)

Now the question: Will I get to open it before Christmas?

turtle
2013-11-27, 17:19
OCZ tends to ship new drives/controllers to market before anyone else. This pretty much means they use their buyers as guinea pigs for unripe beta firmwares, software, etc. OCZ has also seen much financial turmoil over the years. They used to be a huge enthusiast/gamer memory brand...now they only do SSDs and rebadge PSUs on the side.

There have been several rumors recently that OCZ may simply go out of business. Their shares fell to penny stock levels a week ago and they just laid off 15% of their staff.

Don't buy anything OCZ branded for now.

It is like you knew or something! (http://ir.ocz.com/news/detail/3004/ocz-filing-for-bankruptcy-announces-offer-from-toshiba-to-purchase-assets)

Eugene
2013-11-27, 19:44
I try to keep my ear to the ground. :lol: Had to say something after PB PM provided some positive reinforcement for the brand.

drewprops
2013-11-27, 20:05
Eugene-Man barely rescues Turtle from the eviiiil clutches of PB PM :lol:

I've been eying a much larger capacity SSD and suppose that the Intel/Sammy thing holds true there as well.

I'm trying to figure out the difference between this one:

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE1T0BW 2.5" 1TB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W014B1465)

and this one

SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW 2.5" 750GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W00ZD1398)

EDIT: Shit. It's the storage capacity, Drew. Yah moron.

::embarrassed emoticon::

drewprops
2014-01-07, 21:37
What time of the year are SSDs usually released/bumped? Anybody know?

I'd like to get a discounted/sale price on the 1TB version.

Eugene
2014-01-07, 23:49
What time of the year are SSDs usually released/bumped? Anybody know?

I'd like to get a discounted/sale price on the 1TB version.

Black Friday deals. Other than that there's not much of a schedule. SSDs are released whenever new controllers and NAND chips are mad available. Also 2.5" SSDs are pretty much limited by SATA III at this point. Companies like Apple are being forced to use PCIe based SSDs instead to get the >550MB/s throughput.