PDA

View Full Version : Printer?? Any suggestions

zippy
2014-01-24, 21:47
So we have a Canon i9900 that is 8, 9, 10 years old or so. But it isn't working well and I think it will take a $175 printer head to fix. That's too much for a 'maybe' solution.

I also have been frustrated with the disappearing ink problem that it has always had. We don't print very often and it seems like we need to refill the ink after every other job or so. That's an exaggeration, but not a huge one. Cost per page has not been good.

I had convinced myself that the next printer I would get would be a color laser - I can't see the toner evaporating on me between use. But dang, laser refill cartridges are a pricey lot. Some of the OEM refill kits cost more than the original printer. I could stick with 3rd party refills if they are reliable.

So, do any of you have any suggestions, or opinions about laser V ink for home use (not high production). Or any specific printers that suggest I look at?

Help me please!!:)

Eugene
2014-01-24, 22:36
I don't print photos at home. I don't use my printers for color a whole lot, but I like having the option. Ultimately I felt the color laser option made the most sense for me since I also hate clogged ink cartridges.

I own a multifunction HP CM1415fnw.

PB PM
2014-01-24, 22:42
The choice between a Ink Jet and Laser comes down to what you are printing. If most of your printing is text laser is fine, but if you are printing images and large full colour charts you might want to rethink that choice.

Yontsey
2014-01-24, 22:43
I've had great luck with Brother lasers.

drewprops
2014-01-24, 23:49
Me too! Two very affordable Brothers in 9 years.

Robo
2014-01-25, 01:03

Same. Can't beat the per-page cost of a good laser (assuming, of course, you mainly print documents).

turtle
2014-01-25, 17:28
I have two ink jets and two lasers. Like Eugene, I use a HP CM1415fnw for my higher quality printing and a Brother HL-2070N for my "basic printing". I don't print any photos anymore so my two ink jets just dry up and waste ink. I'm soon to get rid of them as they literally do nothing for me now.

If you don't print much then laser is the best way to go. I you don't have to have "photo quality" then laser is the way to go. Toner is already dry so you don't waste it my not using it. Also the drum is the only part of a laser that generally goes bad, after 10K uses generally.

Eugene
2014-01-25, 18:03
Only thing I hate about the CM1415fnw is its default calibration cycle...it's too frequent and I think it uses quite a bit of toner. The 3500 page carts for my old LaserJet 1200se seem to last forever, the 2000 page black toner cart in my CM1415fnw doesn't gets nowhere near 2000 pages.

thegeriatric
2014-01-25, 19:54
I use a color laser, and found it to be much better than inkjet, I don't print that often and usually only documents. My present printer is a Samsung, as was my last one they have both been very good.

zippy
2014-01-26, 14:25
I don't print photos at home. I don't use my printers for color a whole lot, but I like having the option. Ultimately I felt the color laser option made the most sense for me since I also hate clogged ink cartridges.

I own a multifunction HP CM1415fnw.
One of the printers I am looking at is the HP CM1415dn - mostly because Costco is having a $150 off sale on it starting on the 30th. We used to always use HP at work (before switching to Xerox) and they were solid workhorses. Of course, those were the larger office machines, but I would think their consumer machines were built well also.

zippy
2014-01-26, 14:30

Me too! Two very affordable Brothers in 9 years.

Same. Can't beat the per-page cost of a good laser (assuming, of course, you mainly print documents).

In addition to the HP that I mentioned to Eugene, I have a Brother or two on my radar. They seem to rate well and are very affordable. Good to hear from some people that I trust that these assessments are accurate.

One other question for all - Do you use OEM toner refills, or have any of you opted for 3rd party replacements? If so, have you had any problems?

On my inkjet, I eventually started doing my own refills, but I wonder if that didn't help to prematurely end the printers life - apparently, some of the ink colors (photo cyan for instance) can tend to develop some algae in them after a while - I have no idea why. My refill bottles have been around longer than the reported shelf life.

Yontsey
2014-01-26, 14:38
I've always just used an OEM refill that I ordered through Quill for my business. I believe I get the extended life refill as well. They last a couple months for me and I print off a lot of statements, invoices, quotes, ect.