PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Network

turtle
2016-09-04, 21:24
Maybe I'm over thinking this but I want help to nail down some specifics.

The 10,000 foot overview is I want a network that is cellular capable and also able to bring true networking for macOS, iOS and tvOS devices while in a vehicle or a hotel room.

As an admin I have certain specifics I'd like in a network. Basically I want to be able to have a standalone network that can either have cellular capabilities or not. When in the car my kids can connect their iPads to the same network and be able to play games like Terraria without fuss. I would name the mobile network the same as my home network SSID. When we go on road trips or a vacation at a hotel/campgroud we can have the network there.

Ideally at that point the network would connect to available WiFi hotspots so we all share that connection. When that isn't available we can always go cellular. At least, that is what I would like to do.

I have done similar with plugging my iPhone into my MBP and then sharing the cellular -> USB connection via the Macs WiFi. This isn't ideal in a car (or RV should I, finally, actually get one one day).

In the day to day, I'm more thinking about the times we spend what seems like all day in the car around town running errands or just being away from home driving from place to place.

Currently I have this TrendNet TEW-654T (http://amzn.to/2cribue) that works great for making the mobile network on the go, but I've not been able to get it to do what I'm after. The WiFi repeater thing seems like it's the hardest part to figure out for this kind of device because it would need two sets of WiFi hardware to handle the LAN and WAN at the same time.

Anyway, I figured I'd see if anyone has some ideas on how to make a true mobile network that is cellular at least but can also specifically not be cellular if I want to conserve data. I'd prefer to be able to remove the cell modem from the router portion physically to ensure it was disconnected when I don't want it eating data.

turtle
2016-09-04, 23:19
If I could find a modern cellular modem that's output was RJ-45 then I'd be golden, I think.

Eugene
2016-09-04, 23:46
Just use your phone as a personal hotspot? Or connect a MacBook to your phone via USB and use the MacBook as a hotspot.

turtle
2016-09-05, 10:55
That doesn't actually work as well as you think. Currently I'm using Sprint. I can't use data and talk on the phone at the same time. I also can't manage a network with a cell phone hotspot. I haven't tried, but I'm guessing that 6 iPads won't connect to my one phone. When I get to a hotel then I would add an AppleTV to that.

Basically, sharing a phone or cellular tablet's data isn't going to work in my case. Can I make it work, sure. It's just clunky and a pain. I would rather have a router "installed" in the vehicle and be able to be moved into a hotel room when we get there. Same concept if I ever buy an RV.

Edit: I might have found a solution that would work. This Proxicast PocketPORT 2 (http://shop.proxicast.com/shopping/proxicast-pocketport-2-pocket-sized-3g-4g-lte-usb-cellular-modem-bridge-mini-router.html) would allow any USB modem to be connected to my network via ethernet. I would turn this off and disable the cellular when I didn't want to use data or have it on when I'm ok with using data.