PDA

View Full Version : Anyone keep up with Point and Shoot cameras?

turtle
2017-04-29, 19:27
My wife is looking to replace her aging Canon SX260 HS (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/842848-REG/Canon_6195B001_PowerShot_SX_260_Digital_Camera.htm l) with a scratched lens. We loved this camera all the way up until the lens was scratched and picture quality really effected. She's been using her iPhone 7 for her camera but really wants the features and power of a P&S like this one. I've been looking at the current line from Canon and it seems GPS logging is a thing of the past. Not sure why that's gone from them but something I loved. Mrs T doesn't care about the GPS being gone but likes Canon because she's familiar with the way it operates and it's settings.

The big deal is easy to throw in the purse and just pull out and shoot with. She does want zoom, lots of zoom if possible. 20x in the SX260 was good and would be enough for a future camera.

Anyway, does anyone out there have advice or input about P&S cameras? I haven't looked at them in a long time so really not familiar with what's out there.

PKIDelirium
2017-04-29, 20:37
What price range?

turtle
2017-04-29, 21:38
I don't really have one in mind. I guess under $500 or so. I mean, if it's worth it I'd be more than happy to pay more. I just don't want her having to fight to get good photos like she wants.

PB PM
2017-04-30, 09:12
Basic cheap Point and shoot cameras aren't getting much attention these days, thanks to most people switching to smartphones. None of them really stand out, any Canon, Nikon, Panasonic superzoom compact will get the job done, just don't expect mind blowing image quality (won't be better than a smartphone) in that price bracket and form factor.

Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70, Canon PowerShot SX730 HS, or Nikon Coolpix A900.

turtle
2017-04-30, 15:25
You're saying that in reality she will have the same image quality from a new P&S as she would from her iPhone? The only perk with a P&S is being able to has optical zoom of 20x or more?

chucker
2017-04-30, 15:56
You're saying that in reality she will have the same image quality from a new P&S as she would from her iPhone? The only perk with a P&S is being able to has optical zoom of 20x or more?

There'll be cases where a P&S offers more. Zoom is one. Low-light is another.

But the margin between "a smartphone will be more than good enough" and "if you really need better than that, get a bridge or DSLR" is increasingly slim.

turtle
2017-04-30, 21:17
Well that's good enough then for Mrs T. She really wants the zoom and low light capabilities. Canon PowerShot SX730 HS is the one I was looking at for her so it might just be the direction I head. I think I read somewhere that you can get GPS tagging now but it's via a connected app on your phone. I'm sure that would work fine...as long as it works.