PDA

View Full Version : 'Vertical' blog building

Frank777
2018-02-12, 17:52
I'm not sure if "vertical" is the right qualifier, but I need to set up a media blog that uses the up-and-down navigation style traditionally used by tech blogs like Engadget and Gizmodo.

Anyone have any suggestions on a web host that can deliver on this? Does Wordpress do this?

PKIDelirium
2018-02-13, 05:12
There are Wordpress themes that can do that.

chucker
2018-02-13, 07:19
I feel like I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "up-and-down navigation style" — isn't that how all blogs tend to work? Do you mean 'infinite scrolling', i.e. fetching additional entries when you scroll down?

Frank777
2018-02-13, 15:08
I feel like I'm not quite understanding what you mean by "up-and-down navigation style" — isn't that how all blogs tend to work? Do you mean 'infinite scrolling', i.e. fetching additional entries when you scroll down?

Yes, Infinite Scrolling is a part of it (though the feature can be annoying at times.)

I was thinking the other day that a lot of the media sites I seem to enjoy lately have a more modern, cleaner look to them than a usual Wordpress site. Gizmodo/Jalopnik, Engadget, BlogTO, NewAtlas, The Verge etc. (Not all of those have IS, but you get my point.)

Just wondering what they use to build sites like those so I can pester my web guy.

chucker
2018-02-14, 01:53
Yes, Infinite Scrolling is a part of it (though the feature can be annoying at times.)

Indeed. It really turns me off on Quartz. I explicitly want to focus on one article, not “discover” how many more there are.

I was thinking the other day that a lot of the media sites I seem to enjoy lately have a more modern, cleaner look to them than a usual Wordpress site. Gizmodo/Jalopnik, Engadget, BlogTO, NewAtlas, The Verge etc. (Not all of those have IS, but you get my point.)

Just wondering what they use to build sites like those so I can pester my web guy.

Right… Gizmodo Media Group (Jalopnik, The Onion, etc.) has its own proprietary CMS called Kinja, so that’s not an option — but you can look around for WordPress themes that imitate it.

More generally, you want to browse a little. Maybe this one strikes your fancy? https://templatic.com/wordpress-magazine-themes/newstime/

Frank777
2018-02-14, 22:11
Thanks!