PDA

View Full Version : Bug reports / Forum technical tips / VB Help

curiousuburb
2004-05-15, 15:01
So how about a thread detailing the new bugs *cough* features of VB 3

Tons of new pull downs, text fields, and check boxen.

Smilies (monochrome except for red tongue and yellow blushing cheeks?):
:p ;) :o

Post Icons... WTF... might be better if others who rate the post could vote on Post Icon...

New fonts to choose from, new colours, (any changes to VB tag formatting?)

Post links to help pages if you think they'll be needed.

HOM
2004-05-15, 15:06
:p

HOM
2004-05-15, 15:18
I should also mention that we can now edit the titles of threads already posted. No more begging a mod to fix our stupid spelling mistakes.

Also, you can now open and link to individual posts in a few mouse clicks.

alcimedes
2004-05-15, 15:21
yeah, i'd like to see names back on the left-hand side, tighten things up a bit, try to differentiate between posts with some better color schemes.

lots of ideas, it'll just be a matter of implementing them.

DMBand0026
2004-05-15, 15:24
I liked the layout of the old AI, but I can deal with this for a while, this forum just took a violent shove into prime time with very little to prepare it.
I'm sure things will all be worked out in time.

FFL
2004-05-15, 15:39
yeah, i'd like to see names back on the left-hand side, tighten things up a bit, try to differentiate between posts with some better color schemes. Yes to both of those - and pages should be longer, before a new page starts. AND - I don't like the grey shading on quoted text.

Wickers
2004-05-15, 16:17
EWWWWW!!!!!

DMBand0026
2004-05-15, 16:20

You've got 9 posts, you need 10,000 for one of those.
Start posting!!!

Wickers
2004-05-15, 16:23
You've got 9 posts, you need 10,000 for one of those.
Start posting!!!
not this again...

maybe if the avatars were limited to 15x15 pixals. or maybe the same size as a smilie that way it does not clutter up the page.

HOM
2004-05-15, 16:26
One thing I noticed poking around is that each user can turn off display of avatars. Now, I'm not saying that I want them at all, I just thought it was funny that the option was there.

Wrao
2004-05-15, 16:29
needs more chocolate (http://www.fresonmagic.com/fotos_tias/imagenes/chocolate.jpg)

curiousuburb
2004-05-15, 16:54
needs more chocolate (http://www.fresonmagic.com/fotos_tias/imagenes/chocolate.jpg)

I think they've closed that directory... redirects to a stop.gif image on a spanish server
:(

Defiant
2004-05-15, 18:23
I think they've closed that directory... redirects to a stop.gif image on a spanish server
:(They haven't. They just don't like it if you leech from them.

I have a small thing with the forums right now. The color for clicked links is pretty close to the background. Especially notable on the top. But this is all temporary anyways.

SledgeHammer
2004-05-15, 18:23
Looks like I'll like Vb3 it's just going to take a little getting used to.

Ebby
2004-05-15, 18:32
It would be good to have a close proximity to the other AI, since that is what we are all familiar with. But the new features should probably stay. People who want avatars can have them and those who don't can turn them off. Perhaps if the avatar options were "off" by default, people would be less likely to use them.

curiousuburb
2004-05-15, 18:40
minor beef about text colour.

if you edit a post, the "time edited" defaults to white... illegible against the b/g

edit: see?

HOM
2004-05-15, 18:58
There seems to be some minor issues with cookies and missing posts. I'm sure it's just growing pains, but good idea to be on the look for them anyway.

curiousuburb
2004-05-15, 19:05
the Posting Guidelines link on the top right gives 404

interesting options from many of the links. popup menus abound.

Towel
2004-05-15, 20:06
Very nicely done forum. My only suggestion would be to try to use space a little more efficiently. Since the idea is to read :) all the postings as easily as possible, the less scrolling you need to do, the better.

For one thing, I think the borders on the left & right could be shrunk a bit, maybe by half. On a 1024 wide screen, they leave too much dead space. Then maybe use some of that reclaimed space to move the poster's name and info to a sidebar, next to his post (instead of above it). That lets you put many more posts, more readable text, into the same vertical space. As is now, between the date stamp, poster name, post title, and sig, it seems like I can fit barely one post on the screen at a time. :)

The layout as it is, I think, is perfect for a "News" page, where the post is a paragraph blurb with a couple of links, and each post lives independent from all the rest. For a discussion forum, I think you want to make the text a little denser.

Edit: Well damn, you made the change while I was writing this. Sweet.

Ebby
2004-05-15, 20:13
WOHOO! Info on the left! It is starting to look familiar again! I feel closer to home. :D

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-15, 20:21
WOHOO! Info on the left! It is starting to look familiar again! I feel closer to home. :D

And you got the same-ole sig...

Ebby
2004-05-15, 20:23
If course. I like it. Do you think it is time for a new one? :confused: I had a list of possible sigs in a sticky on OS 9. Maybe I'll hunt that up.

DMBand0026
2004-05-15, 20:25

This is home now. Welcome, take your shoes off, hope you aren't allergic to dogs ;)

Ebby
2004-05-15, 20:33
And you got the same-ole sig...
There you go. Temporary until I can find something better.

DMBand0026
2004-05-15, 20:34
Just to keep this one a little bit on topic...I had issues with some double posts earlier. And when I tried to edit one to say "whoops" it killed them both.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-15, 20:34
The bright blue and dark purple of the tiered links at the top of the page blend in too much with the background. Plus the background grey is a bit too dark... feels too heavy, noisy... And the strong contrast of this dark grey with the white 'Reply to Thread' box is tiring on the eyes... Thanks

jkb
2004-05-16, 00:38
Like Murbot and a couple other people, autofill botched our registration and now our email address is the member name (or was in my case. I created a new account). If the admins here could help us out in getting our email addresses off of such public display, it would be appreciated. I already get enough spam. I just need the other account killed int he member list as I won't use it, but I'm sure others like murbot would like their user names edited by the admins to kill everything to the right of the "@"

Also:
1) The links on the upper left ("Home," "Forums," "Community") do nothing for me.
2) The color scheme is a bit dark.

I like the "snappiness" of the forums over here. That could change as more people migrate from ai.com, but I thought I should pay the compliment.

SledgeHammer
2004-05-16, 00:40
The icon for "thread which you've replied to and has new posts" is showing up as the icon from AI.com When I go over there, most of the icons are replaced by the ones from this forum. I've cleared my cache a couple times and it doesn't seem to be fixing the problem. I don't care if I get the wrong icons at .com, but having all the right ones in at least one place would be nice.

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-16, 11:34
The bright blue and dark purple of the tiered links at the top of the page blend in too much with the background.

Nice change, the grey of the tiered links looks great... but the light grey of the "Logged in as..." in the top right hand corner of the Reply to Thread page blends in too much with the near white of the background now.

Good work with the smilies... need to fix :embarass and :( though

alcimedes
2004-05-16, 11:53
ok, moving this to suggestions, now that it exists. keep the ideas coming!

2004-05-16, 11:55
RE: the smilies...

IIRC, the smilies over at .com were a group effort comprised of Spart, Jon and Brad. Mebbe they could be moved over with Spart's blessing?

(edit: nevermind...keep up the good work guys) :)

thegelding
2004-05-16, 12:11
front page seems to have lost the link to the forums from the top line

g

alcimedes
2004-05-16, 12:26
looks like they were finalized by spart. i sent him a pm. hope he'll be ok with it.

otherwise i looks like brad created a set that were similar to start with, which is what the .com ones evolved off of.

curiousuburb
2004-05-16, 12:50
wrt Smilies... a little distinctiveness from the .com versions might be good.

too much mimicry might lead some to conclude copying content has occurred.

new board. new version of VB with great new features.
why not new smilies to help maintain the 'new & improved' tone?

(not saying Spart/others efforts weren't cool... but this is a clean slate, so...)

---

bug rep:

View Today's Posts (http://www.appleinsider.org/search.php?do=getdaily) gives 404 errors

SonOfSylvanus
2004-05-16, 14:44
Width perfect now. Nice.

How bout "Forums" link (that links to Forums front page) to the right of "Home" in top left hand corner of *every* forum/thread page (ie not just on the .org front page)?

Angry and Embarrass smilies need fixing still?

Thanks

torifile
2004-05-16, 15:09
Smallering (is that a word? it should be) the default font of the text would be nice.