PDA

View Full Version : OmniWeb to Hack the iPod

Paul
2004-06-04, 13:22
Who needs a buggy utility program to get your music off the iPod when OW5 can do it ? (http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/archives/2004/06/000209.php)

I haven't tried it yet, but this is enough to make sure that OW gets installed on any firewire computer I have access too... who knows when I will need to pull a song off the iPod...

who here knew about it already and why didn't you spill the goods!? :err: ;)

Barto
2004-06-05, 00:47
As the article says, it is still easier just to copy the files using the Finder.

And I've never had any problems with iPodRip.

Barto

dviant
2004-06-16, 13:18
I've been likin' PodWorks myself. Maybe this will get me to download OmniWeb to try it out though.

synotic
2004-06-27, 15:37
As the article says, it is still easier just to copy the files using the Finder.You can't copy just using the Finder, if you could, that would defeat the purpose of any "iPod rip" apps.

DMBand0026
2004-06-27, 15:40
You can't copy just using the Finder, if you could, that would defeat the purpose of any "iPod rip" apps.

Exactly, having a feature like that would make it way too easy to steal music. Something Apple is obviously trying to avoid.

Barto
2004-06-27, 21:13
Step 1) Connect iPod.
Step 2) With the iPod open in the Finder, type "command-shift-g" for the Open Folder command.
Step 3) Enter "iPod_Control" which opens that hidden folder, do the same to show the "Music" subfolder.
Step 4) Copy Music over to your hard drive.

You CAN copy using the Finder. The iPod DOES NOT HAVE ANY COPY PROTECTION. Yes the folders containing music are hidden, but so are 90% of the useful folders in Mac OS X. ;)

Barto

agent302
2004-06-28, 03:12
When I needed to do this once, all I did was install Tinkertool (or related app), tell it to show all invisible files, and then drag all the song files to the iTunes Library Pane. If you have both "Keep iTunes Music Folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" checked, you'll have a nicely organized collection of music on your computer.

johnq
2004-06-28, 07:31
Barto, we know you can manually copy folders/music files off of the iPod via the Finder.

The point is that iTunes/iPod OS intentionally obfuscates the folder hierarchy. The ripper apps just go through and rebuild the folder structure based on the ID3 tags in the MP3 files.

Barto
2004-06-28, 08:25
Really? No way. :p

I'm saying using Omniweb to copy files is just like using the Finder, and there are plenty of good iPod ripping apps so this is a non-event.

Barto

joismyname
2006-01-19, 16:08
YO, i got aproblem. i'me using euphpod, when i try to use it, message come up: "ipod_control cannot be created" can you help!? i've also registered my iPod on two computors and lost alot of stuff. is there any way i can retrieve this? the memory is still being taken up, it's very annoying.
anyway help would be much appreciated.,
cheers Jo.
p.s. i'm on windows xp

kieran
2006-01-19, 16:18
Biggggggggggg bump.

but sorry, no help.

torifile
2006-01-19, 16:19
I thought, "Damn, Paul this is really OLD news. Why are you posting this now???" And then I realized the thread had been resurrected. Jo, maybe you should start a new thread in the Genius Bar?

SledgeHammer
2006-01-20, 00:30
And perhaps you should speak intelligibly

Also, though I have no reason to copy music off my iPod right now, I like to play with these things. I opened up the iPod_Control folder and then the Music folder, but there was nothing there. Are all of the files inside the folder hidden? Are there hidden subfolders? Without making all invisible folders visible, what else do I need to do to get at the music?

HezMah19
2006-01-20, 01:23
And perhaps you should speak intelligibly

Also, though I have no reason to copy music off my iPod right now, I like to play with these things. I opened up the iPod_Control folder and then the Music folder, but there was nothing there. Are all of the files inside the folder hidden? Are there hidden subfolders? Without making all invisible folders visible, what else do I need to do to get at the music?

Same, perhaps this was removed abillity was removed in a 10.4.x update?

ZachPruckowski
2006-01-20, 18:19
Same, perhaps this was removed abillity was removed in a 10.4.x update?

I've never tried it, but Apple did come out with an updater for the iPod about 10 or so days ago. I was wondering why the upgrade set included the discontinued iPod Mini, but if the updater's purpose was to change this around, then maybe that's why?

SledgeHammer
2006-01-22, 10:45
No, I don't think that was it. Those updaters always have the newest software for the newest iPods and whatever the last iteration of the software was for older models. I didn't run it because the software version for my 3G has been the same for a long time now.

joismyname
2006-01-23, 11:17
Dear mr. sledgehammer,
i understand that you might like to play with these little things. i pesonally have beter things to do with my time, i was merely asking for a little help. torifile managed to give some helpfull advice. its a shame a man who wants to prevail in what he does is held back by an egotisticle snobbery. you might say i'm being hypocritical, and i am but i think it's always good to point it out.
Cheers i'm out, jo. x x x x x x x

chucker
2006-01-23, 11:35
torifile gave you a nudge to post your problem in the Genius Bar, in its own thread, where it belongs. SledgeHammer gave you another nudge to try and write somewhat legible sentences.

You haven't really followed either advice. I fail to see the problem here?