PDA

View Full Version : Finals are DONE!!

low-fi
2004-06-04, 19:21
Whew. Well, it has been two months of solid work. I have never worked as hard as this before. At Easter, wrote 4000 words for final degree related essay, then after that, finished off my dissertation, coming in at about 12,000 words. Then revision for the past six weeks. I really wish I'd taken a week off!!

My final exam finished today at 11:30 (Ecosystems, biodiversity, and change, FYI). Who'd have thought my geography degree would have been so wide ranging and interesting.

SO! Just to say I'm happy it is all done, and that I really hope that 4 years of my life have paid off, and I get the grade (2.1, or >60%).

Here is to anyone who is finishing exams etc at this time of year! :D :smokey:

Windswept
2004-06-04, 19:35
Congratulations, low-fi. You must feel euphoric. I remember when I finished my last final, I went screaming with joy through the hallways in the dorm where I lived. What an incomparable relief.

Best of luck with all your plans for the future. :)

Moogs
2004-06-05, 08:38
"Muchos congratulatos", hombre. Time for you to kick back and relax for a spell, eh?

;)

staph
2004-06-05, 09:34
Whew. Well, it has been two months of solid work. I have never worked as hard as this before. At Easter, wrote 4000 words for final degree related essay, then after that, finished off my dissertation, coming in at about 12,000 words. Then revision for the past six weeks. I really wish I'd taken a week off!!

My final exam finished today at 11:30 (Ecosystems, biodiversity, and change, FYI). Who'd have thought my geography degree would have been so wide ranging and interesting.

SO! Just to say I'm happy it is all done, and that I really hope that 4 years of my life have paid off, and I get the grade (2.1, or >60%).

Here is to anyone who is finishing exams etc at this time of year! :D :smokey:

Congratulations!

I still have two weeks to get my thesis finished... and it's sitting on 17,500 words (1000 words over). It's the only thing I've been doing this semester... at any rate, I feel your pain. Have fun doing whatever it is you're doing to celebrate! :smokey:

SonOfSylvanus
2004-06-05, 10:15
My final exam finished today at...

Shut. Up. :grumble: :p

Still got one to go...

Windswept
2004-06-05, 10:31
I really wish I'd taken a week off!!

But I bet you wouldn't have enjoyed that week much. You'd have been worrying about all the stuff you needed to get done. Right?

So...no regrets. Now you should try to let yourself unwind. Go lie on a beach somewhere and veg out. You'll *really* be able to enjoy a vacation now, because you know that you *really* deserve it. Yes? :D

low-fi
2004-06-05, 14:10
But I bet you wouldn't have enjoyed that week much. You'd have been worrying about all the stuff you needed to get done. Right?

So...no regrets. Now you should try to let yourself unwind. Go lie on a beach somewhere and veg out. You'll *really* be able to enjoy a vacation now, because you know that you *really* deserve it. Yes? :D

Oh yeah :D I have had a residual hangover since yesterday - my eyes this morning were like :wow: and my head :no: . My girlfriend finishes on Monday, but have loads of things planned. Game of ultimate frisbee in the afternoon, along with some rock climbing - I'm really out of shape/unfit.

You're right about taking the week off - it wouldn't have been much fun. Looking forward to going to Italy this summer for a couple of weeks.

SonOfSylvanus: good luck with the last exam - be sure to post in this post-exam relief thread if you get the chance

staph: hope the rest of the thesis goes okay - cutting it down is a painful thing to do!

Ebby
2004-06-05, 14:21
Shut. Up. :grumble: :p

Still got one to go...
Just one?

I can beat that! :grumble: End of June here. :wow:

staph
2004-06-05, 15:14
snip!

You're right about taking the week off - it wouldn't have been much fun. Looking forward to going to Italy this summer for a couple of weeks.

Actually, I think taking a week off is a really good idea: it gives you some time to get detached from your work, so you can look at it semi-objectively.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself after my week of pseudo-holiday.

I wish I lived in Europe so I could go on affordable holidays to Italy... mmm, gelati, Chianti, and other things ending in "i".

staph: hope the rest of the thesis goes okay - cutting it down is a painful thing to do!

Ooohhh yeah. Second time in nine months too (cutting 2000 words out of my Law thesis the weekend before it was due last November was pretty joyous). I've yet to get into all the passive constructions and cut out the superfluous adverbs yet, so it shouldn't be too bad. ;)

Pity the Australian academic year ends in October/November. :(

low-fi
2004-06-05, 19:58
Yeah, I'm loving the whole Europe thing. The greatest thing about it is the diversity of countries, and the fact I can work in any of them, without hassle.

Italy came up as I happen to have an Italian friend with a couple of houses ( :D ) who is more than happy to let me and the girl stay in, for free! Woo! the only thing that we'd have to pay for is petrol (ouch at the moment - another thread methinks), and food. To add to your 'i' words steph, "spaghetti"!

Here at the University of Edinburgh, I have had some amazingly long holidays. 4 months last year - it was great!! I'm going to be back here in Sept 2005, but before that I need to get some work, and I also have a research project lined up in the Peruvian Amazon with one of the Dr's at the university. Should be more than a bit cool :smokey:

Windswept
2004-06-05, 21:27
I also have a research project lined up in the Peruvian Amazon with one of the Dr's at the university. Should be more than a bit cool :smokey:
I picked up a horrible stomach bug in the Peruvian Amazon. It lasted for six months after I got back to the States. Picked it up eating popsicles in Iquitos...probably made from river water. Urgh.

You'll *love* Macchu Picchu. God, what an incredible place.

low-fi
2004-06-06, 13:14
I picked up a horrible stomach bug in the Peruvian Amazon. It lasted for six months after I got back to the States. Picked it up eating popsicles in Iquitos...probably made from river water. Urgh.

You'll *love* Macchu Picchu. God, what an incredible place.

Great - I'm looking forward to the bugs already :D

I have ages to wait until I go, but any suggestions about places that I "just have to see" would be gratefully accepted!

Windswept
2004-06-06, 14:13
Great - I'm looking forward to the bugs already :D

I have ages to wait until I go, but any suggestions about places that I "just have to see" would be gratefully accepted!
South America is just wonderful, low-fi. I spent two months travelling around down there after my first year of teaching. Went there on a freighter from Norfolk, Virginia, to Brazil. I could write a book on the freighter journey alone!! Great times.

The Brazilians, Argentines, and other South Americans who travel are affluent, educated, and speak English. The Brazilians, especially, love to sing - and dance the samba - at every opportunity. I had the best time meeting these people.

I recommend Rio, of course, an amazing place. And Ouro Preto (Brazil) is this cool, colonial-era mining town up in the mountains that would be nice to visit.

I loved Buenos Aires. It's quite a European city in many ways. And there's a trip I took from Bariloche, Argentina, in the middle of winter (July), through Andean lakes (gorgeous) by motor launch, then into the Andes to a place called Peulla, then up Chile by train. The Bolivian altiplano is pretty amazing near La Paz, and then Cuzco, with its Spanish colonial buildings.

But Macchu Picchu is just stunning. I doubt if there's anything quite like it in the world. The lush mountains go straight up. The bus ride to the top was pretty terrifying, because the driver spent half his time looking over the edge at the million-foot drop. But the Inca ruins are in the most breathtaking setting. And the ruins themselves are pretty incredible.

I stayed in a jungle lodge in the Amazon. Saw lots of brightly-colored birds (toucans, parrots) and fresh-water dolphins. The Indians sharpen their blow-darts with piranha teeth. I didn't see any actual piranhas though. :)

Anyway, you'll love South America. Great people, great scenery. I didn't make it to Valparaiso, and always regretted that. So now I have to go back. heh. And my camera was stolen in the Lima airport right before I flew back to Los Angeles, so I lost most of my Macchu Picchu and Amazon pictures. :grumble: Another reason to go back. I'd like to spend at least six months down there.

You have so much to look forward to. :)

Barto
2004-06-06, 22:06
South America is just wonderful, low-fi. I spent two months travelling around down there after my first year of teaching.

Yeah, I can understand the need to escape civilisation after a year of teaching kids. ;)

SonOfSylvanus
2004-06-08, 20:16
Oooooohhhh... F**K. Rock gig, Blues bar, Chinese. Met Sir Daniels several times tonite...

Finished my effing exams!!!

*groan, slumps to floor*

Been up for 21 hours, including 3 hour exam, 3 hour in gym and 12 hours having eaten only cornflakes breakfast and a banana....

Urrghhh...

Finished! Fuck yeah.

Edit: Fuck </gratuitous swearing>

low-fi
2004-06-09, 03:05
Oooooohhhh... F**K. Rock gig, Blues bar, Chinese. Met Sir Daniels several times tonite...

Finished my effing exams!!!

*groan, slumps to floor*

Been up for 21 hours, including 3 hour exam, 3 hour in gym and 12 hours having eaten only cornflakes breakfast and a banana....

Urrghhh...

Finished! Fuck yeah.

Edit: Fuck </gratuitous swearing>

I think a smiley will do:

:D

staph
2004-06-18, 08:46
Well, I've got my history thesis in. Time for some sleep.

bassplayinMacFiend
2004-06-18, 10:38
I finished my last finals in May so I know how you guys (gals?) feel.

Kinda like this --> :D

I didn't think I'd ever get finished with school! It took a few weeks to sink in, damn it feels great to do something other than class / homework / studying after work!