PDA

View Full Version : Favorite RAM brand for G5 iMac?

srwatters
2005-02-17, 15:24
Since I'm trying to save a buck or two on the new iMac, I ordered it with the factory 256MB RAM. I need to upgrade to at least 1GB. I know I should either put 2x512MB or bite the bullet and get 2x1GB. Question is which brand? Kingston, Crucial, Corsiar, Geil, something else? Also I see that almost every manufacturer has a 'special' Macintosh memory, but the specs are the same as PC-3200 memory for the Intel platform. Mac memory of course is more $$$.

What would you buy? Where? (zipzoomfly, newegg, outpost?)

Thanks,

PS
No more questions here today, I promise.

baaron
2005-02-21, 00:04
Crucial. Never had a problem with them. Fast shipping. Excellent packaging. You get what you pay for.

Go ahead and buy the regular PC-3200 RAM from them. When you buy the special "Macintosh" RAM, all you are buying is peace of mind. (PC-3200 is the best that the iMac can support, or am I wrong?) I suggest splurging on 2GB, you'll be thankful you did two or three years from now.

srwatters
2005-02-21, 08:31
Thanks for the tip. I was on the fence between Kingston and Crucial. After talking to an IT buddy in CA who is a Mac head, I went for the Kingston. Buy.com had a sale on a Mac certified 2x512MB kit for $200, free shipping and no tax. I could have bought the vanilla PC3200 for $170, but since this is my first Mac, I took the peace of mind. Plus AppleCare won't give me any grief if I have a problem...

Thanks again!

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-02-22, 15:54
I bought 2 x 1GB sticks from newegg.com last Fall for $330.00 shipped. The brand was Patriot memory ( www.pdpsys.com ) and I haven't had a single problem with it since I installed it. It carries lifetime warranty so I have no worries. Other Mac people have reported installing it with no problems (over at MacNN's forums and AI as well I believe) so based on my experience and other reports I have no problem recommending this RAM.

Here is the link to this RAM at newegg.com --> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-030&depa=1