PDA

View Full Version : sharing a 20inch Apple TFT with a PC?

ZO
2004-06-07, 05:02
Hey all,

I really really want to get a gaming PC and was thinking of getting a 17inch TFT with low latency, bla bla bla.

Nontheless, I see a G5 in my future and dont have the space for 2 displays.

Do I need a "simple" KVM? Do I have to get a special video card for PC? (its gonna be a gaming pc, so I want to get stock, powerful card, not some special card...).

Also, does XP recognize the 20inch display? (drivers...)

Any other ideas?

ZO
2004-06-07, 05:10
and what the heck are the etch stats on Apple TFTs?

Are they REALLY still at only 350:1 contrast ratio? I dare imagine what refresh rate they have....

alcimedes
2004-06-07, 08:17
you might want to look into the monitors over at formac.com

apple's displays, while nice looking, don't have the best refresh rates. the other advantage to the formac monitors (iirc) is that they have both an ADC and DVI connector. since you aren't going to find a PC video card with ADC on it, this is your next best bet. the ADC to DVI converters run approx. $150, so would add a sigificant cost to the monitor purchase.

the formac monitors were cheaper too last time i looked. couple guys at work got them and have been really happy with them.

Cybermonkey
2004-06-07, 08:28
Yeah i have a formac and can tell you it's better than apple's offering in the 17 in department anyways. As alcimedes said, if you want to share it with a pc you'll need a DVI monitor, then it's just a case of hooking it up through a kvm.