PDA

View Full Version : Garageband performance limitations on a Powerbook versus a G5?

DemianBohemian
2005-02-19, 02:13
I am considering buying a new 15" Powerbook and am wondering what performance I will be giving up for the mobility versus a DP G5 Powermac when using Garageband. How many tracks can I expect to get out of Garageband on a powerbook versus a DP G5 Powermac? Is Garageband memory or processor intensive? I know that the number of virtual instruments and loops versus real instruments and voice you are using makes a difference....also, how many and how much effects...

Any insight would be appreciated........thanks.

DemainBohemian

Wraven
2005-02-23, 14:01
Demian,
I can only tell you that my 1.42GHz Mac mini (which has a slightly slower processor than a 15" Powerbook) could only do 2 or 3 tracks when it had only 256MB of RAM. But now that I have upgraded the RAM to 1GB it handles 12 tracks with no problems (that is the most I have tested - it could go higher). So it seems to me that GarageBand is memory hungry, but the processor you would have in the Powerbook should be adequate. Definitely get at least 1GB of RAM (buy it separately and install it yourself to save some $$$).

Wrao
2005-02-23, 14:09
With few effects I can handle dozens of tracks(midi and live audio) on my 1.25 Ghz powerbook w/ 512 RAM. As soon as I start adding effects(delay/echo, distortion and amp sim are the worst) My computer starts to choke up a bit.

The new version of garageband enables you to 'freeze' tracks, which essentially removes them from being processed, so that you are able to add more. Maximizing performance in garageband is very much in how you use it. If you are reckless with your effects and stuff, you will cap out pretty quickly, but if you know when to add effects, and when to bounce down tracks, and stuff. you can generally handle tons of tracks.

I have made a handful of songs with over 30 tracks, some with as many as 50, even with distortion and other processor hogging effects. That said, I have a 1 GB stick of RAM on the way, because nearly every track I make these days ends up fragging my processing limits. :\

And RAM really does help, I was visiting a friend with a dual 1.8 g5, I put some of my hardest to process tracks on his computer so that I could hopefully work with them and finish them up. While his computer played things back better than mine and generally didn't lock up as much. It still crapped out pretty quickly. The reason? he only has 512 RAM!

Goody
2005-04-06, 08:52
Thanks for the hints. I'm about to get a memory upgrade for my 1ghz powerbook G4 and I just want to make sure I dont have to buy the 1GB memory stick and can save a few bucks just getting the 512. I'll mostly be working with under 10 tracks (live and software) but with a fair number of effects and such. Do you think that 512 is enough? Or will i still encounter problems? should I go right for the 1GB? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

telekon
2005-04-07, 09:46
As I understand it (and please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken) Garageband is very much optimised for use on a G5 based system. I have G4 and G5 based machines at my disposal and GB2 is very much zippier on the G5 and can handle a lot more instruments and effects, and feels a lot smoother. Put simply, the dual G5 will kill the Powerbook! :D

telekon
2005-04-07, 09:48
Thanks for the hints. I'm about to get a memory upgrade for my 1ghz powerbook G4 and I just want to make sure I dont have to buy the 1GB memory stick and can save a few bucks just getting the 512. I'll mostly be working with under 10 tracks (live and software) but with a fair number of effects and such. Do you think that 512 is enough? Or will i still encounter problems? should I go right for the 1GB? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
If you're using a lot of effects or software instrument, get 1Gb of RAM - you'll need it. :D