PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! I have no idea what to do.

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 03:50
Hi guys,

I need serious help deciding which Mac to get. I can't even begin thinking about buying one until I sell my PC laptop, which is about 4 months old. I know, it sounds like I made a rash decision, but I bought the laptop before I had a job (I'm a high school junior) and when I didn't anticipate getting one. Since I needed a computer for school, I got the PC since it would take forever to raise enough money for a Mac laptop of the same caliber. Anyways, now I have some extra money (got a job) and want to get the Mac. How much do you think my PC will go for?

-HP Pavilion zv5000
-3.0 ghz Intel Pentium 4
-1 GB RAM
-15.4" WXGA BrightView Widescreen (1280x800)
-80 gb 5400 rpm hd
-Wireless card built in
-CD-R/DVD drive
Since I am going Mac, I will sell it with Microsoft Office 2003 and a wireless mouse (never liked the mouse)

Now what should I do for a Mac?? Depending on how much I sell my computer for, I will have about $1500 - 2400 to spend. My uses: Heavy Internet usage, web design, light video editing/heavy image editing, typing papers, making PowerPoint presentations for school, watching DVD's, iTunes, and syncing my PDA up to it. I don't travel too much with it, but I would like something portable to bring with me when I babysit or on long car/bus trips and occasional air flights. Here is what I have been thinking of (all suggestions welcome!!), all with edu discount:

OPTION #1
-17" 1.8 ghz iMac (1 GB RAM, BT and wireless keyboard/mouse, Airport XT, 160 GB HD); Price: $1851
-Later, when I get the money together, a 12" ibook for my portability needs (1.2 ghz, 768 RAM, 30 GB HD, Combo Drive, Airport XT); Price: $1084
Total: $2935

OPTION #2
-15" Powerbook (1.67 ghz, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, 128 graphics, SuperDrive)
Price: $2414.00

OPTION #3
--15" Powerbook (1.5 ghz, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, SuperDrive)
Price: $2159.00

OPTION #4
-12" Powerbook (1.5 ghz, 1.25 GB RAM, 100 GB HD, Superdrive); Price: $1972
Later, I would buy a 20" Cinema display when I gather up the money
Total: $2871

I really can't decide. I love the idea of a PB but I am worried about its screen (seems sort of lackluster to me) as my main computer. I can hook it up to an external moniter, but why get a less powerful PB and Cinema (which is what I would get) when for roughly the same price I can get a much more powerful iMac and an iBook?

HELP!! I have no idea what to do. I also want a new mini (I have a 4G 20 GB, but I want something to bring on trips and one to leave at home as my stereo system).

Thanks!!

LoCash
2005-02-21, 05:05
I'm a fan of option #3. just get an external keyboard and mouse and I think you're gold :)

I Thrash Therefore I Am
2005-02-21, 05:21
I say go for the 15" (I have one and I love it) and if you REALLY need an external monitor buy a cheaper one (unless you wanna match).

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 10:48
Thanks for the advice :). I really like the 15" PB and I'm going to go to the Apple store Tuesday and take a look at it again. I'm just worried about the screen and size. My current laptop is hefty to take anywhere; how's the PB in that department? And again, compared the screen I have on my computer, I feel if I'll be downgrading, so I'm almost certain I'll need an external monitor. I could get a different moniter, but a 20" Dell costs $750, so why not throw in the extra $150 and get the Apple? And also, why get a 15" when I'm hooking it up to a monitor and could get the 12", which is much more portable? And then by that time, I could get the iMac and the iBook....so I'm back to square one.
Question: Which is more powerful, the iMac or the Powerbook?
Also, any idea how much my PC will go for?

Thanks again!!!

LoCash
2005-02-21, 10:51
I use a 15" PowerBook at work without an external display, and I have no issues using Photoshop, Illustrator, and BBEdit with it. The machine is acceptably light and the screen resolution is just fine for the graphic work I tend to do. I don't think you'll regret it.

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 11:05
No offense or anything, I just don't want a 'fine' screen, I really like having a *great* screen. I'm going to take another look at the PB's, but the iMac screens seem 10X better. However, they're desktops, so I'll probably want some kind of portable (option #1) but it's so expensive. See my dilemma?? Thanks for your help!!! :) :)

Paul
2005-02-21, 13:30
The 17" iMac is a dream to use... and if you get the wireless keyboard and mouse package (for only $100, $90 edu) it will be extremely portable (just not useable on the go). The G5 SCREAMS (with sufficient ram): http://homepage.mac.com/psantora/.Public/F@AN.png

oh, and the 15" PB will have 54 MORE horizontal (the more important kind) rows of pixels then the screen you have now... So if you do go the 15" route, you shouldn't be disappointed. The lighted keyboard must be a nice perk as well.

SledgeHammer
2005-02-21, 14:07
Good grief. What kind of job do you have? I worked in hisgh school and never had enough money to even consider buying one computer, let alone two! Ah well, that said, if you've got the money, option one sounds pretty sweet. But you definitely wouldn't be disappointed with any of the PBs. I'd say, base it on what you really want to spend and what kind of power you need on the road. Chances are an iBook will be more than sufficient for anything you'll be doing on a plane, say, while the iMac, with its G5, will probably give you mor ebang for your buck in most departments than the PBs. If you really don't want to spend that much money though, go with one of the 15" PBs. Mine is 3.5 years old and I still love it. The new ones are even more exceptional.

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 14:27
Well, I'm selling my PC and I've saved some money from my job to get the Mac ;). You wouldn't happen to know how much it might go for, my PC, would you? I'm hoping at least $1200.

So the iMac is definitely more powerful than the PB? If they're updated soon, that would probably seal the deal for me. And by the summer, I should have enough money saved to get the iBook, which may have been updated by then, too.

Like I said, a lot hinges on how much my PC goes for. Thanks for all your advice, this is really helping my decision :) :). This is my first Mac, so I want to make sure I get something that suits my needs.

Koodari
2005-02-21, 14:59
Here's what I recommend.

First get a 12" iBook. It's a Mac, it's very portable, so you get both "kinds" of experiences right from the start.

Personally, I am very happy with the 12" iBook after owning a 15" Powerbook, and basically I would trust it for any use except maybe *heavy* media, I'm not sure if you do things that hard. 60GB disk and internal Bluetooth upgrades recommended, as is adding 512MB memory yourself, as is a Tucano Second Skin or other sleeve. I wouldn't bother with expensive purpose built bags until you are really carrying the iBook around often.

Then you have your laptop. At any time you can get an external screen (preferably with DVI+VGA inputs - you can't use an Apple screen with the iBook which only has VGA) and plug it into the iBook. Screen Spanning Doctor lets you drive it at full resolutions. That squares away Photoshop use.

Later on, since you already have a display, it is an easy upgrade step to get a Powermac, if you still think you need power. Honestly, you might be surprised how much the iBook can do. I find there are lots of other things to sink $2000 into than a desktop computer when you already have a nice laptop.

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 15:10
I really don't want an iBook as my main computer. I've used one and I just think it won't be enough power, plus I hate its screen. I'd just as soon get a PB. I need at least 80-100 GB of space as I have a ton of music, videos, and pictures on my computer (I've already used up 35 GB on my current PC in the last 4 months). I'd like one to take on trips and stuff, but not to use all the time.

Koodari
2005-02-21, 17:05
I really don't want an iBook as my main computer. I've used one and I just think it won't be enough power, plus I hate its screen. I'd just as soon get a PB. I need at least 80-100 GB of space as I have a ton of music, videos, and pictures on my computer (I've already used up 35 GB on my current PC in the last 4 months). I'd like one to take on trips and stuff, but not to use all the time.The screen is the weakest point indeed. It can be addressed by using an external one at the desk - since you said you don't plan to travel much. The 15" PB:s screen is nice but I thought it, too, had too little resolution for comfortable Photoshopping. I would setup a minimum of 19" CRT, even if you have the PB.

When you used the iBook, did you actually notice lack of power or are you just guessing?

Regarding the hard drive space, you could use a Firewire hard drive. There are limits to what a laptop HD will hold, and when you get to the bigger laptop HD's you are paying a lot for what is puny space in desktop terms. Again, I'd do this even if I had the Powerbook. A 160GB external disk could take a 1:1 copy of a 60GB laptop drive for backup, and still have the kind of space left over that you asked for. I daresay you don't really need over 60GB on the road.

Anyway, if you're opposed to the iBook then how about a dual 1.8GHz Powermac, Radeon 9600, 512MB memory? The initial display can be a $200 19" CRT. This way you'll have all the power and expandability in your hands, right away. New Powermacs or price drops are likely to surface soon as well.

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 17:42
I don't really want a huge desktop machine; I like the iMac because its small and fits my needs. I have never been attracted to the PowerMac and I'd much rather buy a PB or an iMac.

holbox
2005-02-21, 19:49
I don't really want a huge desktop machine; I like the iMac because its small and fits my needs. I have never been attracted to the PowerMac and I'd much rather buy a PB or an iMac.

Buy the iMac!

It'll last way longer than any laptop - give you less trouble, etc. A laptop is good for what it's good for - to take with you! So really a 12" iBook fills that perfectly.

Souped up Powerbooks are neither very portable or really trouble free. They are still just laptops, but very good ones.

Someday way down the road get the Dual PowerMac and then you can forget about buying computers for a while! :)

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 19:55
I think that's what I'm going to do :) :)

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!! I seriously could not have considered buying a Mac without the help of all these Apple experts on the forum...thanks :)

mariahlullaby
2005-02-21, 21:51
Well my computer is listed on eBay, so let's hope it sells and I can get my iMac soon!!!