PDA

View Full Version : Stop the Spoof-sanity!!

drewprops
2004-06-08, 08:31
I've received over 1000 bounceback email messages to one of my domains since April and am fed up with having spammers abuse my domain name and risk putting that domain on common "corporate blacklists". Does anyone know if notifying networks like APNIC and RIPE of the abuse actually achieve results? Any tips?

Gargoyle
2004-06-08, 14:37
Yeah, this is a big problem.

In my opinion, although the companies like RIPE and APNIC are only responsible for organising & assigning IP addresses, I feel that they should start to put the pressure into the BIG ISP's to put into place measures to limit the use of email servers and port 25 connections.

The continued growth of broadband means that anyone can sign up for ADSL, Cable, etc and run a spam email server churning out 1000's of messages per hour / day. It's down to the broadband providers to put into place sensible limits to the use of email ports. What is needed is for some independent group (like offtel in the uk) or RIPE etc to put pressure on ISP's to only allow authenticated connections to their mail server before accepting messages for relay.

Perhaps RIPE could "fine" ISP's by revoking XX many IP addresses for every continued abuse of their network - But since it the ISP's who are running the routers would this even be possible? I am not sure the likes of RIPE even have this level of control.

Isn't it sad that it has come to things like this? :no:

Ebby
2004-06-08, 15:38
Couldn't ISP's limit the number of E-mails sent from a user? Or have a user-adjustable quota like: 10/day, 50/day, 100/day, 200/day, 500/day and each having different fines for spamming, but only if the connection were used to spam, not legitimate E-Mail. I never sent more than 10 e-mails a day so I would use that. I could be notified/warned if more than 10 E-Mails originate from my IP address or adjust my quota.

Gargoyle
2004-06-09, 11:47
That will only work if you use their mail server. There would be no way for them to know how many emails I was sending If I used a different server.

I used to hate the likes of freeserve (wanadoo) for blocking direct connections to another mail server on port 25 (you were only allowed to connect to their mail server), however I think this is a very good idea, as long as they allow relaying once I am authenticated.

eg, I still want the email to come from g@argoyle.com even if I am using a freeserve server. Shouldn't be a problem managing REALLY secure authentication. Especially with the likes of ssh which you can use to tunnel just about every other protocol.

presidios
2005-01-15, 14:38
On Jan 14 20004 Page B1 an article was written about this website. More power to this website

presidios
2005-01-15, 14:41
I neglected to state where the article was written go to The Wall Street Journal P B1.