PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you are depressed?

Quagmire
2004-06-08, 18:13
I am very depressed right now for many reasons. I got final exams, and other crap that is making me depressed. Normally I listen to music and chat on ichat but, none of that works right now. I am wondering what do you do when you are depressed and I can try what you do if it is legal for me to do it.

Wickers
2004-06-08, 18:17
I'll tell you what I don't do:

-Commit suicided.

So put down the knife. . .

Kid, you are not even in High School yet, things are going to get a lot harder.

Take a deep breath, count to ten, relax.

Quagmire
2004-06-08, 18:19
I'll tell you what I don't do:

-Commit suicided.

So put down the knife. . .

The keyword was legal. Commiting suicide is not legal if you survive.

Wickers
2004-06-08, 18:23
The act of killing yourself is legal,
it's attempted suicided that can get you in trouble.

And besides, I told you NOT to do it.

Wrao
2004-06-08, 18:42
I go outside and soak up the sun.

but I don't let myself get depressed, life is too short for that.

Naderfan
2004-06-08, 19:09
I kind of have an idea of what you're going through. I graduated college a month ago, don't have a job, found out this weekend I bounced a check and had to use what little money I have left to pay that off (I now have $1.12 in my checking account) and still have bills to pay. But I'm not too depressed. I just keeping concentrating on what I do have, like a supportive fiance and family, my health :) and the knowledge that as bad as it is, there's a lot more potential for it to get better. I don't know what exactly will help you, but trying going for a walk/bike ride, sing really loudly and badly with your favorite CD, or go out with friends. Otherwise, try your hand at something creative, like writing or drawing. I've noticed that I write a lot better when I'm more emotional. It might help to get things on paper and off your mind. Hope that helps. Hang in there.

psmith2.0
2004-06-08, 19:33
When I get sad, I just want to be alone and quiet and just think about stuff for a while. Nothing too major or dramatic. I stay pretty level, really.

If I'm worrying about stuff or feeling just kinda down for no clear reason, I tend to watch QVC and it cheers me right up (don't laugh, I'm serious!). Mindless fun with attractive hosts and neat gadgets and everyone seems happy to be there on the set, so it spreads out to me.

:D

About once or twice a year (ALWAYS in the week or two leading up to Christmas) I'll experience a bit of a pervasive, lingering funk. Not depressed, just a wistful melancholy. That's usually the time I of year I wind up thinking of old friends, old cutie-pies, the things I could've/should've done better, what I didn't do, people I might've hurt or let down, things left unsaid, etc.

That's about the extent of it, and it always fades away by Christmas and New Years. I call it Paul Looking Inward While Drinking Spiced Rum Week.

:D

Mac+
2004-06-08, 20:23
I can recall one period in my life when I was in a "real funk"... was not sleeping, emotionally all over the place, very introverted (more so than usual).

What saved me during the day (and I know this will sound corny) was practising the piano. Truly, I think I did more consistent and productive practise during this period than I did when I was more carefree. I think it was the fact that I had to concentrate so much on the music in front of me or the shape/positon of my hands for certain passages, that the focussed attention forced me to not even think about what was causing me to be upset. Bach was definitely the best. When I was at school I did not understand the magnificence of this man's work - but if you live and study his music in detail, you can't help but notice what a genius he was - truly touched by the hand of God! Anyway, I remember I wrote up a practice chart and became quite obsessive about it - I used to tick off three hours each day and it was only about three weeks into it that I missed my first day. That was both a blessing and a curse.

By then, I wasn't feeling so down, so I felt OK to lapse for a day... which, over the years has become longer and longer... can't recall the last time I really sat down to practise the piano - curse this Mac and .org ;)

Mac+
2004-06-08, 20:28
About once or twice a year (ALWAYS in the week or two leading up to Christmas) I'll experience a bit of a pervasive, lingering funk. Not depressed, just a wistful melancholy. That's usually the time I of year I wind up thinking of old friends, old cutie-pies, the things I could've/should've done better, what I didn't do, people I might've hurt or let down, things left unsaid, etc.

That's about the extent of it, and it always fades away by Christmas and New Years. I call it Paul Looking Inward While Drinking Spiced Rum Week.

:DI think that pre Christmas funk you talk about is not too uncommon. Wasn't it reported somehwere that this time of year sees an increase in *** rates? :(

Mac+
2004-06-08, 20:32
I am very depressed right now for many reasons. I got final exams, and other crap that is making me depressed. Normally I listen to music and chat on ichat but, none of that works right now. I am wondering what do you do when you are depressed and I can try what you do if it is legal for me to do it.
getting outside is also good - exercising and "soaking up the sun" as Wrao advised are positive steps.

Also, ut - if would be helpful for you to talk about this with a counsellor or somebody experienced in assisting with these matters if you feel like it is getting out of control. No matter how trite you may think your problems are, do not wallow alone.

Wickers
2004-06-08, 21:03
Quaggy, I'm sure you are just overwellmed, life gets hectic sometimes.

Do step outside.

Don't kill yourself. ;)

autodata
2004-06-08, 21:04
exercise

thuh Freak
2004-06-08, 21:25
try to channel your negative feelings creatively. i often play the guit box, or program incessantly. when i'm in a slump that dont quit, i hurt people. remember: its not illegal if you aren't prosecuted. :devil:

Wickers
2004-06-08, 21:32
remember: its not illegal if you aren't prosecuted. :devil:
I can't even count the amount of illegal things I've done without being prosecuted. This is Quag you are talking to, don't confuse the guy.

Quagmire
2004-06-08, 21:39
I am starting to pull out of it. I am still a little sad but, not the way I felt before. Your replies \/\/ickes were very helpful in deed with your do not kill yourself thing, it was a little humorues even though you were serious. It was how you said it that made it a little funny to me. I slipped down again because of IE and not having a spell check on it. ;) :mad: . Life will go on, and life does have its slumps. Thanks for the help.

thuh Freak
2004-06-08, 21:55
I can't even count the amount of illegal things I've done without being prosecuted. This is Quag you are talking to, don't confuse the guy.
i know, man. but surely anyone can enjoy a joke. if not the man at the gallows, then a passerby.

Lee Ho Fook
2004-06-09, 00:41
Remember, it's better to regret something you have done than something you haven't.

murbot
2004-06-09, 01:17
This asshole may look happy, but I guarantee you he'll be depressed in the morning.

http://homepage.mac.com/murbot/.Pictures/AI/smoking_ass.jpg

(heh heh. get it? asshole. heh heh. get it?)

FFL
2004-06-09, 01:32
murbot, when I saw you'd "hit" this thread, I knew it would be worth a look - thanks for not disappointing!

UT, hang in there! You have the upcoming WWDC SteveNote goodies to look forward to. But now, if we see a post from you saying "the suspense is killing me", we might have to start worrying.... ;)

Dave
2004-06-09, 02:17

:D That happens to me too, except it's more like once or twice a month, and it only lasts somewhere between 0.5 hours and 2 days. I think about the same stuff too. I think the worst one was about a year and a half ago. It lasted about two weeks, but for about three months after that I was happier than I've been in a LONG time. I guess my brain was trying to make up for all the extra melancholy :)

SilentEchoes
2004-06-09, 03:17
Human contact is the best. It all matters on the person. Dont just hold it in though, thats a very bad idea. You can develop some real problems that way. I guess it all comes down to if your the type of person that can work it all out in your head.

Personally when I was border line suicide, I needed human contact, some one to express interest in me and some one I could talk to. If I sat alone playing chess or something like that, It just gave me time to think about how much everything sucks.

Moogs
2004-06-09, 21:24
Generally I stick my head in the microwave, but I'm always foiled by the fact that the door won't close. After that I just give up on being depressed because you know... how messed up is it when you can't even do depression right?

You'll be fine, lad.

;)

Mac+
2004-06-09, 21:40
:err: geez - rereading some of my posts, I think I came across as too serious.

Quaggie, hope you're felling better... I like the way the .org community chimed in and tried to outdo each other with a glib one liner... "laughter is the best medicine". (nice) :)

iBrowse
2004-06-09, 21:50
The best thing for me to do is to just find one of my very good friends and spend some time with them, just having fun. If whatever is bothering you is something they can help you with, just talk about it or whatever. Also, I try to spend some time doing stuff that makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something, being productive always helps my self esteem, like writing code (if you're into programming at all) just working on a small project. My big thing though, is music, I'll just sit there and and play my guitar for hours if something is bothering me, it almost always helps. I've been in a rather bad mood for no apparent reason for the past 3 or 4 days. The past 8 months haven't been all that great really, and I think I'm just getting stuck back in another slump.

SledgeHammer
2004-06-09, 22:49
For me, taking pictures helps. It's the same thing as those who play an instrument, really. It's a creative endeavor, and it's something you really have focus on (no pun intended). Also, if I'm feeling stressed, overwhelmed, frustrated, etc. I like to put on the last movement of Beethoven's 9th symphony, very loud, and conduct along to the music. The whole symphony is about 75 minutes long, and the last movement is 25 minutes in and of itself. I like to lay in the dark and listen to it at top volume. Then, in the last few minutes I stand up and conduct along to the music. I know it sounds weird, but you can pour all of your frustration into waving your arms, and, after all, those last few minutes are the Ode to Joy. Granted, if someone walks in on you doing this, they will undoubtedly give you strange looks, but I always feel so relaxed afterwards.

Ryan
2004-06-10, 00:03
I just call up a friend or two and watch a movie, either at a theater or just at my house.

BurningWheel
2004-06-11, 14:59
anti-depressants. maybe it's not this stuff that's making you depressed. i suspect you've been depressed for a while. look into. good luck

Quagmire
2004-06-11, 15:22
I was only depressed for a day or two. I am happy as ever( no more middle school). Thank you everybody for helping.

windowsblowsass
2004-06-11, 15:30
shoot things (especially when your pap is an ex marine m14 ar 15 m1 garand)
or light things on fire

Wickers
2004-06-11, 15:32
shoot things (especially when your pap is an ex marine m14 ar 15 m1 garand)
or light things on fire
And you are the exact reason why I don't meet people in person, that I meet on the net.

Zodiac
2004-06-11, 15:33
I was only depressed for a day or two. I am happy as ever( no more middle school). Thank you everybody for helping.

I still have school for 2 weeks. Oh the pain. I need anti-depressants. :lol:

seriously- I just don't get stressed out often. But if i do, I usually will just stay in bed until I get over it.

windowsblowsass
2004-06-11, 21:23
And you are the exact reason why I don't meet people in person, that I meet on the net.
at sportsmans shooting range of course im really not a bad guy

LudwigVan
2004-06-11, 22:30
I am wondering what do you do when you are depressed and I can try what you do if it is legal for me to do it.

G.F. Handel, Mozart, et alia.

dmz
2004-06-11, 22:52
Why pray when you can worry? ;)