PDA

View Full Version : Returning after 10 years to Mac's What should I get

harrisw1
2005-02-25, 12:46
Hi All,

I havent owned a Mac for about 10 years, and after seeing all the improvments in the OS, I think I am ready to return. Lets say I have $1500 bucks to spend, what should I get?

I have fond memories of my Power Book Duo 280c (It still works by the way), so I was thinking about a PowerBook, is there a big performance difference between the G4 and G5? Should I wait for the G5 Powerbooks to come out?

Should I consider an iMac? (My old Mac Plus still works too :) ).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

PS

Some of the things I would like to do with my new mac:
Internet Usage - Browsing & Email
Standard Desktop word processing and spreadsheet work
Itunes for my Ipod
Some Games
The ability to run Unix and Linux Applications- I work as a Info Security Consultant so I would like to run Nessus and Kismet ....
Portability would be nice
Maybe the ability to run Virtual PC
Maybe using it as a Personal Video Recorder.
I am also really interested in the BSD underpinnings of OSX, and the ability to use the command line.

HW

torifile
2005-02-25, 12:53
First, welcome to AppleNova and back to the Mac!

Second, there's no real way for us to recommend something to you without knowing what you're going to be using it for and how important things like portability, screen space, etc. are to you. Give us an idea of what you plan to do and we'll lead you to the Promised Land. ;)

harrisw1
2005-02-25, 13:04
Some of the things I would like to do with my new mac:
Internet Usage - Browsing & Email
Standard Desktop word processing and spreadsheet work
Itunes for my Ipod
Some Games
The ability to run Unix and Linux Applications- I work as a Info Security Consultant so I would like to run Nessus and Kismet ....
Portability would be nice
Maybe the ability to run Virtual PC
Maybe using it as a Personal Video Recorder.
I am also really interested in the BSD underpinnings of OSX, and the ability to use the command line.

HW

psmith2.0
2005-02-25, 13:08
12" PowerBook, maybe? Not sure how firm that $1,500 is, so I'm just selecting the most powerful, portable (one of your requests) thing in that price range.

Or a 14" iBook?

I'm just not sure how much muscle those things you talk about need (which is why I put the 12" PowerBook first, over the 14" iBook...more muscle, albeit a smaller screen, BUT there's always at-home spanning with the PowerBook, so...).

My third choice (easing up on the portability requirement): a 17" iMac G5.

I'm just trying to stay in that $1,500 neighborhood, since you mentioned it.

Go up another $500 and you then get into 15" PowerBook and 20" iMac G5 territory...more screen space, more features on the PowerBook, etc.

FFL
2005-02-25, 13:15
It does sound like you will benefit from portability. It also sounds like you might (eventually) want as much power as possible.

I'd consider a 12" iBook with maxed-out RAM (maxed out by you, not by Apple, of course). In a few months, you might be wanting more power, and by not sinking all your $$ into a PowerBook, you will be able to afford a G5 machine for your desktop.

BenRoethig
2005-02-25, 15:35
If you need the extra power, go with the iMac. If not the Mac Mini or even an iBook wouldn't be bad investment.

staph
2005-02-25, 18:04
If you want to try out the OS X CLI before you buy, there is actually a version of Darwin for x86 (http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/images/release-notes-7.0.1.txt) (the hardware requirements are restrictive, but it runs).

holbox
2005-02-25, 18:24
Buy the iMac. Will last longer, and you'll love using it. It's slick.

Forget about buying the Virtual PC. Save your money and drop Windows
all the way. You need a few months to get used to everything, will miss some PC apps., but then you'll be happy.

Mac's a better system & better equipment, so why screw with a PC? :)

_Ω_
2005-02-25, 18:56
Off your list of things any of the new models should be able to do most of what you are asking.

No one has specifically addressed the running of Unix and Linux apps on the mac. Any answers here?

Games, supposedly getting better but still a pain in the arse by most accounts.

I use VPC on a 667Mhz PB. If you set it up right you should have no problems, meaning avoid XP as your virtual system.

Not too sure what you meant by Personal Video Recorder.....

psmith2.0
2005-02-25, 21:40
Not too sure what you meant by Personal Video Recorder.....

I'm guessing some sort of Tivo like thing, maybe using the Elgato EyeTV stuff? Record shows, whack out the commercials, burn to DVD, etc.

naren
2005-02-26, 04:28
HW

I believe there is a native version of Kismet out there. I think I had it but I must have erased it. As far as other *nix apps it's hit and miss unfortunately. Fink and X11 can take care of most of your needs in this regard but not everything plays nice. For instance, there is a nice version of the GIMP for Mac which runs with X11, there is also open office or neoofficeJ, which work, but are ugly as sin and lack any aqua refinements.