PDA

View Full Version : New Powerbook: Should I wait for Tiger?


pruv
2005-03-02, 18:23
I am a new convert from a PC, have made the decision to buy a gleaming new Powerbook 15". Question is, should I wait until OSX 10.4 Tiger comes out?

I still have my PC desktop, so the purchase is not urgent. On the other hand, I do have some trips planned in the next 2 months where a notebook would be useful, and of course I want to get my hands on the new toy as soon as possible.

Two related questions: any idea when Tiger is going to hit the street (other than 1H05)? Also, how much would an upgrade of this kind cost, and how problematic would upgrading be (in the PC world, always a major pain in the rear).

Thanks a lot!!!

Alcibiades
2005-03-02, 18:38
Hey there, I'm in almost the same situation as you are. I just built a PC, but plan on selling it, and buying a tricked out 15" pb with a gig of ram, 128 video card and the combo drive.

However, I'm waiting until the next bump to upgrade, because I like getting the most for my money. By the time the bump comes, Tiger will be out, as well as any updates to the software that comes packaged with it, and hopefully a processor upgrade (either a dual core G4 or some variant of the G5 would be great).

Again, if you can wait, wait. If not, get it because you won't regret it. Me, I'm in no real hurry, I can mooch off of friends computers to write papers for school, and I'm not going to need to start my philosophy thesis until the end of my third year in any case.

Upgrading a Mac Notebook is pretty much the same as any notebook, you can do the ram yourself, or put an compatible larger hard drive in (do any Mac vets know if changing the HD void the warranty?)

Anyways, I guess the question you need to ask yourself is whether or not the cost of upgrading tiger will be offset by its immediate usefulness. Do you absolutely need the PB for your trip?

Anyways, I hope this has been helpful in some small fashion.

Jason
2005-03-02, 18:40
You should buy now as the line has just been updated.
G5 will not appear for some time. Some people say June but I think it will be later than that.
Any G4 will be more that happy running Tiger. As for upgrades, this is Apple you're talking about. It should be quite a smooth transition.

Regards

Jason
2005-03-02, 18:43
However, I'm waiting until the next bump to upgrade, because I like getting the most for my money

What? You already are getting the most for your money.
The line has only just been bumped (after nearly a year's waiting)
Don't hold your breath for another one.

:)

pruv
2005-03-02, 19:01
Thanks, guys. I'm not waiting for a bump, just the Tiger release, so will it be worth the wait?

Also, any idea on how long the wait may be?

Alcibiades
2005-03-02, 20:05
I'm not holding my breath, I'm waiting until after August to get my Powerbook, because I don't need it now. For me, there would be no point in waiting until August, then get a current G4 powerbook, only to have the specs upped a few months later. It makes sense to me, I don't understand why it doesn't make sense to you...


There is no reason to buy now, if he doesn't need it right away. IMO, he'd be better off to wait for Tiger to be released, so he doesn't have to pay to upgrade it, if he can wait. The system will have the same specs, but it'll have a higher software value.

Franz Josef
2005-03-04, 15:41
I am a new convert from a PC, have made the decision to buy a gleaming new Powerbook 15". Question is, should I wait until OSX 10.4 Tiger comes out?

I still have my PC desktop, so the purchase is not urgent. On the other hand, I do have some trips planned in the next 2 months where a notebook would be useful, and of course I want to get my hands on the new toy as soon as possible.

Two related questions: any idea when Tiger is going to hit the street (other than 1H05)? Also, how much would an upgrade of this kind cost, and how problematic would upgrading be (in the PC world, always a major pain in the rear).

Thanks a lot!!!

No. Buy now, enjoy Panther.

Later, upgrade to Tiger.

Panther is sufficiently better than Windows to justify this.

Tiger will (very likely) be sufficiently better than Panther to justify the upgrade.

Not cheap, but value certainly.

Life's too short not to.

schwimmer86
2005-03-13, 12:08
I understand what he means - why buy now and hav old technology in a month? Isn't that why you're getting away from windows (to avoid old technology every month). I say wait a month for it to come out and save yourself the $hundred-somthing on buying the aftermarket Tiger.

patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace,grace is a girl with a dirty face.

M.007
2005-03-13, 13:27
Convinced !!!

porter
2005-03-14, 11:39
There are going to be bugs in Tiger... it could be serious or just annoying. I'd wait until they get the bugs sorted out with a software update or two.

So I'd say buy the PB now and enjoy it. Or wait a long time until Tiger is sorted out and comes pre-installed.

YS 2003
2005-03-19, 19:35
I think I will stick around with Panther as it is working well for my needs. Tiger has new features but I will wait another year or so before I get on the Tiger band wagon as I need to do the clean install for any signifinicant OS upgrade.

Rogue Pat
2005-03-22, 14:52
Hi,

for years i built my own windows/linux computers etc. Been looking at Apple computers for years. Having finished my studies i finally treated myself to a PB a few weeks ago (and talked my g/f into buying an iMac :D :D ). I too was wondering if i should hold out for Tiger. I decided not to. I'd been putting off buying a Mac for so long (no money, PB G5 etc) that i just didn't want another wait until Tiger. Back then it was Q2 2005, which in Microsoft land would translate to July or so. I didn't want to wait another five months.

Do you _need_ Tiger? Do you want to have bragging rights for the latest and greatest? (that's an honest question, as i can't assess your need for Tiger) All i can say is that i'm VERY satisfied with Panther. I expect Tiger to improve over it even further. But f you're looking for a good laptop with a good OS, i think you'll find that a PB with Panther installed already does the job.

Speaking for myself, i think when Tiger comes along, i'll be investing in it (5 license edition for 200USD)....in July or so ;)

Curt Kay
2005-03-23, 18:31
I myself cannot wait until Tiger is released. Final Cut Pro 5 only runs on Tiger and I'm hoping both will be released in April right after NAB. Correctly me if I'm wrong, even if you buy a PB now with Panther, when Tiger comes out, you should recieve a free voucher for Tiger. So buy now, there is really nothing to loose.

(If you dislike Tiger due to bugs and such, you can always fall back on Panther)

-Curt Kay

DirectOR
2005-03-23, 18:35
Hi -

I have the same dilemma as many on this site. Am new to Apple but have got obsessed with the idea of a Powerbook. Would love to wait for G5, dual-core, etc but if I'm going to get a PB it has to be in the next couple of weeks as I can get a really good deal.

I want to teach myself Final Cut Pro and I want whichever computer I get to grow into it with me. Now, I know the PB can [I]do the job but the question is, in 12 months when I want to edit something serious, will I need to shell out for a PowerMac?

I have an iBook so I don't need the portability but, dammit, the PB is just too cool to ignore. I'm thinking 17inch as I will be watching and editing movies.

I'd really appreciate any comments/thoughts.

Thanks

PS - go easy on me - 1st post!

Wraven
2005-03-23, 18:56
Curt,
You are incorrect about the free voucher. If you bought a PowerBook TODAY, you would probably have to pay $129 for Tiger when it comes out. You are only entitled to an "upgrade" to Tiger (for something around $20) when Tiger's release date is officially announced (historically speaking, this is accurate). So DON'T buy TODAY unless you are OK getting Tiger for the full price later.

BarracksSi
2005-03-24, 01:04
Remember, it's only "old technology" if 1) it's not supported by the currently available OS, and 2) it breaks.

campus
2005-03-29, 03:12
I was in the same dilemma - two things I found out today.

1. The comment about the free upgrade not being given until the official announcement is true - I've spoken with three different stores and they would not guarantee anything and claimed that until an announcement is made, no policy is in place regarding Tiger upgrades.

2. An interesting fact - similar to Apple Care, there is a plan that Apple sells called the OS Maintenance plan - it costs either $49 or $59 (might depend on edu status since I was only told this by a campus store), but it guarantees you a path of upgrades for 3 years - you get any and all updates for "free" and only pay the cost of the media (typically $7).

So, for those of us not willing to wait, that may be a reasonable workaround to getting a system now and the upgraded OS (now and down the road) for about half of one update.

ironlung
2005-03-29, 11:13
According to rumor sites Apple will announce tiger as completed by friday. Just wait a few days before your decision. Id suggest wait till April 15th. However as a new switcher I can also tell you how much in love I am with panther. So if you absolutely cant wait...just get it.