PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery in 10.3.4

n2nrn
2004-06-10, 21:24
I'm confused about data recovery of files deleted through the trash.
The two stories I've been told are:

1. The people at Prosoft who make Data Rescue X say that Unix immediately overwrites the file and therefore their recovery of trashed files is impossible, even if the machine was immediately turned off.

2. Mac Help says: Even after emptying the trash, deleted files may still be recovered by using special data-recovery software. To delete files so that they cannot be recovered, choose Finder > Secure Empty Trash. Files deleted in this way are completely overwritten by meaningless data. This may take some time, depending on the size of the file. You may want to use Secure Empty Trash if you sell or give away your computer. Are they referring to software like Prosoft Data Recycler?

So who's got it right? I have had requests to retrieve files that have been trashed, so the ability to do so would be a good thing to know. Thanks in advance for your help on this subject.

n2nrn

windowsblowsass
2004-06-11, 21:31
trash i believe is the same as in os9 it erases the name so you can use that space agai secue empty trash wipes the data sevral times