PDA

View Full Version : USB TV Tuner?

Wyatt
2005-03-14, 18:53
As some of you already know, I'm buying an iBook in a few months, and I'm very excited. I would like to be able to basically eliminate my PC and all I will have left to do with my PC is edit my home movies and burn DVDs. I can get a USB or Firewire adapter for my DVD burner, so that's no big deal (and I have a 200 GB hard drive I can yank from my PC and use as an external drive to store raw video footage). I'm not into anything highly professional - I just want to be able to string together footage from family events and such.

My basic question is this - Are there any USB (or firewire) TV tuners available for Mac that aren't listed at the Apple store? The cheapest one there is $200 and I don't want to spend more than $100. Is there a possibility I could buy a PC one (which are almost all under $100) and use it on my Mac? If so, what would be the best brand to use?

The Return of the 'nut
2005-03-14, 19:00
I'm a little more out of the loop on this topic than I was a few months ago since there have been a lot of recent developments.

In general, El Gato makes the best mac tv tuner products. they have the original EyeTV USB that uses MPEG 1 and works fairly well. That's what I have for my powerbook. Does the trick and the quality is fine for the small screen in my opinion. At MWSF they announced a partnership with ATI to use their USB 2 tv tuner with El Gato's software. That provides a lot better quality and features. Not sure what the price is, but I assume its quite a bit more and what you are referring to.

Wraven
2005-03-14, 21:13
'nut,
Pertaining to your sentence regarding the new ATI / El Gato product. Here it is:

eyeTV Wonder USB 2.0 (http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvwonder)

Oh yeah, and to answer fcgriz's question, this is probably a little out of your price range ($149).

Wyatt
2005-03-14, 23:16
That actually doesn't look bad. Anybody know the resolution I'd get with that? (Obviously, I want to be able to record at least at standard TV resolution - 640X480). If I can't get 640, I might have to step up to a $200 firewire solution, then. I really, really want to figure something out so I don't have two computers cluttering up my desk next year. It's bad enough with one computer and an XBox... I don't think I can afford two computers, space-wise.

Wraven
2005-03-14, 23:23
I think the eyeTV Wonder would be a good solution for you, if you don't mind spending $149 for it (though I bet you could froogle for a better price).

As far as resolutions go, click the aforementioned link and look for the "Product Matrix" link two down from the "buy now" link. ;)

Wyatt
2005-03-14, 23:28
Oh, thanks so much! This actually looks like a great product for my needs, then. I may be able to ditch my desktop (and Windows) after all.

Wraven
2005-03-14, 23:34
fcgriz,
I am interested in this "box" especially since it will record to a format compatible with QuickTime / iMovie. My POS windows PC card will not (reliably) do this. If you get one of these soon, please let us know how it worked out. Happy to help!