PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on PM G5


jscheiman
2005-03-15, 22:26
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I have been a member of the Apple 'cult' for over 4 years now, switching to Mac by purchasing a 15" Ti PB 3 1/2 years ago.

Thanks to my graphic designer job, I've always worked on Apple desktops and am looking to purchase my first Apple tower. My current PowerBook is a 667MHz with 1GB RAM and has been an awesome machine since day one. I have reached a point however that I need a more current machine, a powerhouse. I've had my eye on the G5 towers since they were introduced, but until now, couldn't find a way to fork over such a large sum of money.

As a graphic designer, I use my machine heavily in Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and GoLive, a lot of audio & video editing as well as large scale print jobs such as event banners and vehicle wraps. I am confident a new G5 would surely take care of business that my 'lil PB is now beginning to struggle with.

Now the dilemma. Tiger is rumored to be released in the next month or so and curiosity is at a fever pitch as to what the next PM G5's will be. So, is it worth it to purchase a new G5 now or wait to see if Apple has something big wrapped up under thier sleeve come June? I am looking at the 2.5GHz model. I'm also very interested in being one of the first to get a hold of Tiger when it's released.

Even if I should somehow desperatly wait to see if a new G5 is revealed in June, how long might the back orders be? I mean if they come out in June will I be waiting until October to actually physically get one?

I guess I'm at a pretty big crossroad here with some major money on the line. Is it worth the $3000-3500 on a 2.5GHz G5? Any help is appreciated. I'd hate to purchase a machine today that may be half the price 3 months from now. If I'm going to spend this amount on a machine I want the most current top of the line!

Paul
2005-03-15, 22:30
Wait for tiger to be released (and if you can WWDC.)
When/if the towers are updated look to get an "old" 2.5 dual for a discounted price.

You save like $500 pretty easily.

jscheiman
2005-03-16, 17:20
Thanks Paul. I really trying to hold out, I'm just so eager to finally get a new machine. Do you think the pricing bracket will stay about the same with the introduction of the new models? (high end $3000 to low $1500)

defaultmike
2005-03-17, 01:41
the prices will be the same. Make sure to save some money for RAM. I'm also a graphic designer and I have a Dual 2.0GHz with 2.5Gb of Ram. There's nothing I throw at my computer that it doesn't chew up in seconds.

But dude, unless u really need it now... wait! Updates are less than 3months away for sure. Any Tiger's coming too...

FFL
2005-03-17, 01:51
if you want to maximize your bang for the buck, buy a refurb dual 2.0 NOW so you can use its power to make more money faster.

Load it full of RAM. When Tiger comes out, you can buy it with the money you saved, and have earned in the meantime.