PDA

View Full Version : Would you like to play a game of chess?

Paul
2004-06-12, 02:53
http://www.freeverse.com/bigbangchess/

you can play network games pretty easily... all you need is an IP address and a network port...

If anyone is interested post here and I'll PM you my IP and the port I have open for the game.

I have to admit that when I was younger I used to be pretty good for my age. But I haven't played regularly for a while and I'd like to start up again. I figured I would post here to see if there were any takers...

I guess we could post outcomes here... maybe if there is enough interest set up a tournament of sorts?

_Ω_
2004-06-12, 09:09
Bring it on bitch!!

AIM: jwri004

;)

Harald
2004-06-12, 12:05
How about a Revoluccion tourney? I'm game.

Ebby
2004-06-12, 12:16
What port does it use?

psmith2.0
2004-06-12, 12:25
Ooh, I'm not good. I got my ass handed to me at Cracker Barrel last night, just playing checkers, while waiting on a table.

:D

I wound up with one piece on the board and my buddy had nearly all of hers! How can I be so bad at such a simple game?

Moogs
2004-06-12, 12:30
Ah, the southern greasy goodness that is Cracker Barrel. Brings back fond memories of road trips and biscuits with sausage and gravy... mmm... lard.

About the only game I'm willing to meet you guys online for is Call of Duty. That game rules and I actually know how to play. Chess is somewhat of a mystery to me. I used to be able to play Chinese Checkers but that's about as far as my classic board game expertise extends. Though I have been know to open up the occasional can of whoop-ass when Password or Monopoly is at hand.

curiousuburb
2004-06-12, 12:42
Ooh, I'm not good. I got my ass handed to me at Cracker Barrel last night, just playing checkers, while waiting on a table.

I wound up with one piece on the board and my buddy had nearly all of hers! How can I be so bad at such a simple game?

if she was hot and you were clever enough to make her look good...
sometimes a gentleman knows when, where, and how to dive discretely and diplomatically.
;)

Mac+
2004-06-12, 22:46
I like Chess - but I was never "taught" how to play it effectively. What I picked up I read from books.

It is such an "ego" game though... and I hate losing. :o Consequently, I am shocking when it comes to pondering moves - I have never played against the clock, so I have developed a bad habit of taking my time to mull over my options.

I like the OS X version of chess, but I have not been able to beat it once! As for playing on line, thanks for the offer :) - but, I'm not sure. I spend enough time on these boards as it is. Also, I don't think my ego could handle a crushing defeat online. ;)

Mac+
2004-06-12, 22:50
mmm - I just Googled Cracker Barrel... that old country store cookin' looks mighty hearty. Dammit - I'm hungry now! :D

murbot
2004-06-14, 17:20
I have a game with Paul going right now, but he's offline at the moment.. so who wants to take me on?

:p

Paul
2004-06-15, 11:58
its only a matter of time now... murbot has me beat... :( but I maintain that it was a fluke :p

anybody else got a game going?

murbot
2004-06-15, 16:52
We should get an AI.org tournament going!

Wickers
2004-06-15, 17:58
That's not a bad idea.

I'd like to see it happen.

Mac+
2004-06-15, 20:53
Just a thought about Chess in OS X (since I think it is very good) ...

What is to stop murbot *ahem* from taking Paul's moves - playing them against the computer in Chess and then firing back the move that the computer made to Paul? :err: (Then it would just be like Paul playing against the computer - only he has the illusion he has playing against a "human" opponent across the interent.) ;)

Not saying that you are doing this Murbot, but who could tell? :p

Paul
2004-06-15, 21:12
Just a thought about Chess in OS X (since I think it is very good) ...

What is to stop murbot *ahem* from taking Paul's moves - playing them against the computer in Chess and then firing back the move that the computer made to Paul? :err: (Then it would just be like Paul playing against the computer - only he has the illusion he has playing against a "human" opponent across the interent.) ;)

Not saying that you are doing this Murbot, but who could tell? :p

there are subtle things... murbot isn't THAT good ;)

Wickers
2004-06-15, 22:38
That is actually how I got in the top 100 of yahoo chess.
Back in the day that is.

_Ω_
2004-06-15, 23:38
It's a sad day when people cheat at chess :no:

:lol: