PDA

View Full Version : More Cat Questions: Litter Box Training!

LoCash
2004-06-12, 09:06
Ok, so I have this litterbox and the cat doesn't want to use it. Well, one cat loves it -- well, she at least has no problems with it and uses it fine. The other cat will shit immediately next to it. Never in it. I have no idea where he is pissing, but I can only assume that based on the smell of my apartment, he is pissing in the carpet.

Now, in another thread I mentioned I have this self cleaning litterbox. The cats are not afraid of it, for when it begins its cleaning cycle, both cats clamour to the sides of the box and watch. So I can't very well try new cat litter. This will work, and there must be a way to motivate the other cat to use the box. Any ideas?

Zodiac
2004-06-12, 09:11
Ok. If your cat is shitting in other places than the litter box. Just pick it up by the back of its neck and act really mad at it(yelling handling it fairly rough etc) Stick its face in the crap so its nose is about a half inch away from it for a few seconds. Give it a good shove into the litter boxand shut the door of that room for a while . After a few of these punishments, it'll get the point. But if it still doesnt use it, see what happens if you were to get a seperate litter box in a different room.

LoCash
2004-06-12, 09:13
Well, I tried the separate litterbox thing, and it shit in it. I just ran out of litter, and now I'm moving back to the washing box. So we'll see how it goes. Today is day 0 of switching back. I really wish I knew where it was peeing... and I don't have a blacklight :\

Eugene
2004-06-12, 09:17
Your one cat is clearly a retard. I've never seen a cat that didn't use a litter box if available.

HOM
2004-06-12, 09:18
Ok. If your cat is shitting in other places than the litter box. Just pick it up by the back of its neck and act really mad at it(yelling handling it fairly rough etc) Stick its face in the crap so its nose is about a half inch away from it for a few seconds. Give it a good shove into the litter boxand shut the door of that room for a while . After a few of these punishments, it'll get the point. But if it still doesnt use it, see what happens if you were to get a seperate litter box in a different room.
That's actually one of the worst things you can do to train an animal. If you do not catch the cat in the act acting angry and literally putting its nose in it will only make matters worse. There might be intra-cat reasons that the second cat won't use the litter box. I had two cats and they used separate litter boxes because the younger one wouldn't use the same one as the older cat.

Might want to call your vet. They have tons of info on training cats.

Zodiac
2004-06-12, 09:23
Thats what I did to my cats and they all used the litter box after the first punishment. Perhaps this cat is different. I think you should buy litter for a seperate litter box every once in a while if thats what makes your cat happy.

LoCash
2004-06-12, 09:45
In a regular box both cats use it. i imagine the younger cat simply doesn't like the litter... perhaps the texture. I did brush aside the litter in the washing box one day, and it shit on the smooth surface of the bottom of the box. I can't figure it out. The cat is clearly a retard, but I don't think they make a cure for that.

HOM
2004-06-12, 10:01
Well, the younger cat used the same litter, but it wouldn't use the same litter box. I assumed that it was a territorial thing.

Windswept
2004-06-12, 10:17
After my neighbor had a baby, their cat started doing weird stuff like going to the bathroom in the basket filled with clean laundry! I think the cat was missing the attention it used to get (pre-baby).

I think she eventually started keeping the cat outside, at which point the cat started using my vegetable garden as a giant litter box. :mad: *sigh*

psmith2.0
2004-06-12, 10:20
Cats are cute. :)

Zodiac
2004-06-12, 10:24
Cats are cute. :)

[sarcasm] NO THEY"RE UGLY!!![sarcasm]

Yeah, the only reason those flea bitten disease carrying rodents are pets is because they cute and lovable.

murbot
2004-06-12, 10:40
In a regular box both cats use it. i imagine the younger cat simply doesn't like the litter... perhaps the texture. I did brush aside the litter in the washing box one day, and it shit on the smooth surface of the bottom of the box. I can't figure it out. The cat is clearly a retard, but I don't think they make a cure for that.

There is the "Two Handed Grab & Choke" or the "Forced 5 Minute Free Dive"... even the "Burlap Sack Express Into A Brick Wall" ride.

Any of those will cure you of this retard of a cat.

Windswept
2004-06-12, 10:48
There is the "Two Handed Grab & Choke" or the "Forced 5 Minute Free Dive"... even the "Burlap Sack Express Into A Brick Wall" ride.

Any of those will cure you of this retard of a cat.
:(

Geez, murbotsky. I guess you really *aren't* the sensitive guy I envisioned. :D heh.

Windswept
2004-06-12, 10:51
[sarcasm] NO THEY"RE UGLY!!![sarcasm]

Yeah, the only reason those flea bitten disease carrying rodents are pets is because they cute and lovable.
"Rodents"?

I must have been absent from science class that day. ;)

autodata
2004-06-12, 10:55
I had a cat that shat outside the box the entire time we lived in a particular apartment. We tried everything and nothing worked. As soon as we moved, he went back to the little box. We realized it had something to do with the fact that he didn't really like the house, but we don't know exactly what. He was born into a drug house with a bunch of junkie russians, stolen from there at ~ 5 months by my cousin whose treatment of him (and living situation) a 180 degree shift to being totally spoiled in a big house for a few months. Then he came into our apartment and started crapping on the floor almost immediately. Once we moved to a big, sunny home he stopped. I'm guessing that there is something in the one place that reminded him of where he was born.

The Onion summed up the whole situation in a headline once: Independent-Minded Cat Shits Outside The Box.

dmz
2004-06-12, 10:56
About the only thing I've ever had to do is take the cat over to the box and, with the cat standing in the box, grab it's front legs and make the digging motion in the litter. That's always done the trick.

edit: some cats get urinary tract infections---then they start associating the cat box with the pain of going, so they go just about every where but the box, that might be what's going on.

Zodiac
2004-06-12, 11:28
"Rodents"?

I must have been absent from science class that day. ;)

I just call them rodents. :)

LoCash
2004-06-12, 13:17
I just call them psychotic demons from hell sent here by their supreme overlord to ensure that my time on Earth is as painful and lousy as possible. In that respect, they're doing a good job.

Today being the first day back to the flushable cat box, the older, nicer, chick cat has used it twice. I have not yet witnessed the bastard kitten using it, but he did join the older fluffy cat when she used it. He seemed intent on "being there" for her throughout her defacation process. Hopefully he will use it. I need to go buy them food today, which means they'll be shitting a storm by nightfall.

Really, how can cats shit so much? I swear they shit half their body weight a day. If they were able to use toilet paper they'd use more than a woman.

Zodiac
2004-06-12, 13:46
I just call them psychotic demons from hell sent here by their supreme overlord to ensure that my time on Earth is as painful and lousy as possible. In that respect, they're doing a good job.

Today being the first day back to the flushable cat box, the older, nicer, chick cat has used it twice. I have not yet witnessed the bastard kitten using it, but he did join the older fluffy cat when she used it. He seemed intent on "being there" for her throughout her defacation process. Hopefully he will use it. I need to go buy them food today, which means they'll be shitting a storm by nightfall.

Really, how can cats shit so much? I swear they shit half their body weight a day. If they were able to use toilet paper they'd use more than a woman.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really laughed at that one. :lol:

Powerdoc
2004-06-12, 14:53
Sometimes, young cats are not very clean. My younger cat, use to shit outside his liter, and sometime in our living room :mad:
After two years, it's a clean cat.

There is many explanations possible :
- the cat feels unconfortable, and is anxious
- the cat do not like the liter, or do not want to share the liter of the others cats (generally they don't mind, but with cats who knows ? ;) )
- the cat is immature (the kitten was only breeded two months, three months is better to have a clean cat, in short the education was too short)
- you have adopted a real idiot :p

EmC
2004-06-14, 20:52
The cat is clearly a retard, ...

10.4 Tiger
10.5 Retard
:D

barbijd
2006-02-08, 20:37
Ok, so I have this litterbox and the cat doesn't want to use it. Well, one cat loves it -- well, she at least has no problems with it and uses it fine. The other cat will shit immediately next to it. Never in it. I have no idea where he is pissing, but I can only assume that based on the smell of my apartment, he is pissing in the carpet.

Now, in another thread I mentioned I have this self cleaning litterbox. The cats are not afraid of it, for when it begins its cleaning cycle, both cats clamour to the sides of the box and watch. So I can't very well try new cat litter. This will work, and there must be a way to motivate the other cat to use the box. Any ideas?
Does anyone know what to do about an older cat who shits all over the place, and will do it in front of you? As you are watching him, he will sit there and shit on the rug. Gross! My boyfriend is divorced, wound up with the cat his daughter brought home and then couldn't take to college. She is out of school for 2-3 years, bought 2 other cats and now wants to get a new cat, she won't take this one back. We're stuck with it. It doesn't matter when or how often the box is cleaned, the cat pisses in the box, and shits all over the place. He usually just deficates on carpets, but at times he's done it on the hard wood floors. And once, he did it in my gym bag! He also once shit in my pocketbook, still haven't told the boyfriend about that one. I don 't know how to deal with this cat and not sound like a witch. Help!

ghoti
2006-02-08, 20:51
You should see a veterinarian with that cat, the reason for this behavior might be some intestinal problem. Also, a vet probably knows some tricks/substance to keep the cat from doing that - but those might not work at all if there really is a medical reason.

barbijd
2006-02-08, 20:56
I have a similar situation. How do I post a question here?

ghoti
2006-02-08, 21:02
You mean a new thread? When looking at them message in a forum, there is a "New Thread" button at the very bottom right of the page. You can also click the "Thread Tools" button near the top right, which opens a little menu that has one item for the same purpose.

curiousuburb
2006-02-09, 08:08
If it's still basically a "How to Train a Cat" question, you could probably just add it to this thread.

And welcome to AN.