PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the formating?

HOM
2004-06-13, 17:36
I'm a putz.

Luca
2004-06-13, 17:44
Read the announcement (http://forums.appleinsider.org/announcement.php?f=12).

;)

curiousuburb
2004-06-13, 18:09
Threw me for a second before I noticed that the Announcement thread reads last first.

LoCash
2004-06-13, 19:46
The SHOWTHREAD template is all sorts of fucked up. This could take a while. I'm going to try to finish it off as soon as I can figure out what is closing one of the DIV elements early. Then I'm getting piss drunk and going to bed :p

LoCash
2004-06-13, 20:53
Ok, I'm done for the weekend. The template that is still fuxx0red is the SHOWTHREAD template. That would be on every page where you're actually reading a thread. If any pioneering and ambitious individuals would like to view source and tell me why it isn't working, I'll send you a present.

As for now, I'm going to make a few flaming molly's and proceed to pass out by midnight. With any luck. Maybe some Jager shots too. Woot.

Brad
2004-06-14, 03:05
Hey LoCash, I still have a copy of that template (as well as all the others) on my localhost copy of the forums from before you started borking it. :) Should I swap mine into place?

Just give the word and it'll be done.

psmith2.0
2004-06-14, 11:37
Maybe the fact that some higher-ups seem to be so damn fond of "the drink" factors in to any "fuxx0red-ation" present?

:D

I know when I get a few in me, I tend to want to monkey with stuff and see how it works...usually resulting in stuff becoming "slightly damaged".

:p

LoCash
2004-06-14, 18:06
You know, the templates aren't that messed up. I edited the header of the forums pages to put in the big image that says, "Forums" which throws off some of that formatting. And some of these pages don't have the dark bacgkround extending to the top. It's purely aesthetic.

So no, don't upload your backups. Get to fixing the SHOWTHREAD template to look like the front end :D

thuh Freak
2004-06-14, 19:36
here's an idea fer you guys: make a test server (ie, one of your home computers). have it be an exact dublicate of the production environment. when you want to fuck with shit, fuck with the test environment. if it dont bork nufin, move it to production. and if revolution season ever stars up again, we know that one of you has a full backup ;).

but seriously, a coworker was fucking with shit today, and accidentally, or so i'm told, baleeted a several month old project from our intranet site. my backup was about a week old. luckily i didn't do much last week. lucky fer you guys other people's misteaks don't risk your own job.

curiousuburb
2004-06-14, 19:49
I was going to post earlier but had a class to teach.

Looks like table formatting for some elements in the Reply or Edit pages is % width, others are pixel width.

As a result, in Safari 1.2.2 under OS 10.3.4, shrinking the window size can cause the smilies box and the close tag buttons to hang out of the 'reply to post' or 'edit post' main content box.
http://members.shaw.ca/bluehatcat/ai/oddlayout.jpg

Page header width is borked and replies under the main content box are proportionally smaller still if you shrink it enough to get scroll.
http://members.shaw.ca/bluehatcat/ai/masthead-oddscroll.jpg

If it's a uniquely Safari quirk, (haven't tested other browsers yet), it may not be what you're looking for, but I did notice one spacer element was 80% width (as the central content column seems to be... down from 90% last week), so I'd suspect nested table mixing % and pixel widths might be a candidate cause.

YMMV.

Akumulator
2004-06-14, 20:02
here's an idea fer you guys: make a test server (ie, one of your home computers). have it be an exact dublicate of the production environment. when you want to fuck with shit, fuck with the test environment. if it dont bork nufin, move it to production. and if revolution season ever stars up again, we know that one of you has a full backup ;).

how about testing on .net?

LoCash
2004-06-14, 20:38
The fascinating part is that the pages in question you provided screenshots of... I didn't touch those templates. It could be a StyleVar issue. The overal width of elements was dropped down to 85% from 95%. I'll swap it back and see if it resolves any issues.

curiousuburb
2004-06-14, 21:02
The fascinating part is that the pages in question you provided screenshots of... I didn't touch those templates. It could be a StyleVar issue. The overal width of elements was dropped down to 85% from 95%. I'll swap it back and see if it resolves any issues.

Fixed.

Cannot recreate the hanging buttons and smilie box anymore. :p

LoCash
2004-06-14, 21:34
Weird. I swear, if I had a little more free time I'd just re-write every damn template.