PDA

View Full Version : Linksys WRT54GS AP endorsement

Eugene
2004-06-14, 03:40
I just bought one of these (http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=610) for $76 at Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001D3K8A).

I had been chugging along on an AirPort Extreme Base Station for the past few months, and while I love the USB print server and the easy set-up, the wireless range was terrible. I also have a Senao/Engenius high-powered AP, but its configuration utility was designed by assholes and I never could set it up as an AP exactly the way I wanted.

Amazingly, it's Linksys to the rescue. I've ranted negatively about Linksys before. They have really shitty quality control. I've gnarled the antenna connectors on two of their PCI wireless adapters and many of their consumer-oriented networked routers are noticeably underpowered when the load gets high.

However, the WRT54GS is a gem. First, it's cheap. Second and more importantly, there are tons of modified firmware for this thing because the the firmware code is GPL'd. I'm using the one from Sveasoft (http://www.sveasoft.com/) to do several things the default Linksys firmware doesn't include such as WDS bridging, enabling ssh, disabling the reset button, choosing a specific antenna jack, running client mode, etc. Best of all, the Sveasoft firmware lets you raise the transmitter power from 30mW (15dBm) to 80mW (19dBm). The firmware developer is actually planning on letting you select up to 250mW (23dBm), but past 19dBm, the radio signals start polluting adjacent channels.

In real-world terms, I've got about double the usable range of my AirPort Extreme Base (with external 8 dBi omni antenna attached), and the bandwidth doesn't drop down as sharply at the limit of that range too. I'm currently enjoying 18mbps file transfers one floor down and about 100 feet away from the Linksys WRT54GS running in B/G mixed mode, and that's with the stock 2.2dBi antennae. Another good thing about the WRT54GS is that it is Broadcom based, and the WDS works just fine with the AirPort Extreme Base Station. I'm using that as a glorified wireless USB print server now.

Sveasoft does charge for 1-year of access to pre-release firmwares like the one I'm using, but to me it's worth it. I expect the updates to the firmware to be mature enough between now and then so I won't have to pay another $20.

$76 + $20 buys you the most powerful legal 802.11g AP you can get your hands on. I plan on getting two more. Since client mode is enabled, you can use them just like Linksys' "Wireless Ethernet Bridges" for computers that don't have PC card or PCI slots like a G4 Cube.

NosferaDrew
2004-06-14, 15:28
I've had one for a few months (WRT54G, not the GS.) and it's great.
I came across the Sveasoft site a week or so ago, but haven't tried out their firmware yet.

I hear a few people dissing Linksys on a regular basis, but I've bought several routers and I've never had a problem.
I really dig the WPA also. WEP always sucked.

windowsblowsass
2004-06-14, 15:36
i used a linkys wired router never a problem

FFL
2004-06-14, 16:32
Bah - I call 'em StinkSys

1. Get used to power cycling it when it freezes up, average of once a week if not more

2. Plan to replace it when it dies 1 or 2 months after the warranty's up

3. Call and ask for tech support, and tell them you're using a Mac. Go ahead - I dare ya!

Just my anecdotal experience (with dozens of units)...

Then again, they do have great range, and maybe they've become more dependable in the last year or two.

FFL
2004-06-14, 16:38
Well, I'll grant you that the GPL firmware and the WDS working with the AEBS sound pretty effin' cool.

How long have you been running with the Linksys?

NosferaDrew
2004-06-14, 16:56
Well, FFL, I've never had 1 2 or 3 with five different units. :confused:
I like Stink.. er, Linksys!

Xaqtly
2004-06-15, 00:14
1. Get used to power cycling it when it freezes up, average of once a week if not more

2. Plan to replace it when it dies 1 or 2 months after the warranty's up

3. Call and ask for tech support, and tell them you're using a Mac. Go ahead - I dare ya!

1. My WRT54G has never frozen up. Ever.

2. It hasn't died yet either, and the warranty's up.

3. Haven't had to call tech support yet either :)

Just my personal experiences with my own Linksys.

FFL
2004-06-15, 00:37
Well, FFL, I've never had 1 2 or 3 with five different units. :confused:
I like Stink.. er, Linksys!
Well sure, they're not all bad, I'd say I've seen problems with 1 in 5, maybe 1 in 4 of the units I've worked with. I could have just as easily seen twice as many problems, or none at all - that's why anecdotal evidence gets taken with a pebble-sized grain of salt.

And, Eugene even indicated in his first post that his previous experience with them had been mostly negative.

Of course, I've used them very little in the last couple years (due to so many bad experiences), it's very possible that their QC and MTBF have improved. Come to think of it, I've never worked with anything but 802.11b (11 MBPS) units.

In fact, the WRT54GS with the upgraded firmware sounds interesting enough, to recommend to a client sometime, and see how it goes.

FFL
2004-06-25, 00:05
Eugene - did you upgrade the firmware with tftp, or the browser interface?

If you used tftp, was it on a Mac or a PC?

TIA

Eugene
2004-06-26, 00:22
The web-interface works for Satori and it's going to be mandatory for Alchemy. I b0rked the first attempt to flash the firmware, so I did use TFTP (linksys-tftp) to revert to the Linksys firmware before trying again.

Moogs
2005-07-30, 22:04
Glad to hear some positive comments about the WRT54G. I just got one of these because the morons at Comcast refuse to install a new jack for my broadband unless it's on a wall with outside cable access. Linksys to the rescue hopefully.

Anyone have any advice or good links for setting up this thing with a G5 and Airport Extreme card? From what I can gather, using the CD is a Bad Idea ™, and that some use the administrator IP through their browser.

I don't need the router aspects as yet, just the wireless, so if anyone could provide a set of quick steps (or things not to do) I'd appreciate it. So far I figure:

1. Install AE card in G5 (Airport software already up to date)
2. Plug router into cable modem via cat 5
3. then... pull off sticker from back and plug into G5 to use administrator page, or can I do that wirelessly.

Once I get to said page, should I just enter the numbers on the bottom of the router and assign myself a subnet or something like that. Networking is my weak point so any advice would be appreciated.

-Moogs

Moogs
2005-08-07, 14:33
OK WTF.

I got the thing installed and working easy as pie, but the speeds are really wierd.

For example, browser pages load about 1/3 to 1/2 as fast (which is still OK on some sites), ping times for games is still close to 100% (?!), but download times are fucking terrible. I mean literally 1/12 what they were with a direct connection to the cable modem. I'm getting like 35-40KB/s; it's horrid.

My signal indicator is three out or four bars. I've tried turning signal robustness on and off, and turning the Firewall on and off but there's really no difference. There is basically about 8" of wall (drywall and studs) between my router and my G5, a 1" composite board desk and maybe 15' of lateral distance. I repeat, WTF.

Is there a trick to getting better signals at such close distances? Try new channels instead of auto (which defaults to 11)? I've moved the router around a bit and played with the rabit ears but anything other than the standard, straight eared, straight facing the wall makes it worse, not better.

Moogs
2005-08-07, 17:17
Well never mind the wireless thing. I did a little investigative snooping around and found out the closet near my workstation shares a common wall with where the cable was hooked up to originally. Bagged the router, dug a hole out in the drywall almost to the inch and pulled the cable through to the closet. Problem solved. Amazon returns here I come. :D

ironlung
2005-08-08, 02:59
Speaking of WRT54GS, I have one that doesnt work properly. Its internet port seems to be broken, but can establish a wifi link and its other 4 ports work. My q is..would that make sense..that its internet port is 'broken' ? I havent seen that before

skid_boy_99
2005-08-27, 08:13
How about this - with an airport extreme/express the menubar Airport icon has a nice little PPPoE timer next to it. Can the WRT54G be made to do this as well?

Spaghetti
2005-08-27, 10:30
The WRT54G is a great machine, especially with the Sveasoft firmware!

Kitsune
2005-08-28, 10:57
I use the WRT54GS and it's been flawless. It used to be that Netgear made the reliable routers, but lately they've been shoveling buggy crap out the door, and the previously-unreliable Linksys really hit a home run with the 54GS. But not everything Linksys makes is nearly as good; the best thing is to go to dslreports.com and check out the forums. If you find a router forum that isn't full of complaints and requests for help, then that's a good router.

Alexia
2005-08-28, 18:07
My Linksys record - 33% failed.
Original 4 port broadband router. - Reset it every DAY.
WAP11 - Just fine.
WRT54G - Just fine.

FFL
2005-08-28, 18:11
Original 4 port broadband router. - Reset it every DAY.Yeah, I had the same experience, which soured me on Linksys for a while. They seem to be better these days, though, and would probably be my first choice for a non-Apple wireless router.

Alexia
2005-08-29, 01:20
Yeah, I had the same experience, which soured me on Linksys for a while. They seem to be better these days, though, and would probably be my first choice for a non-Apple wireless router.

Linksys was bought out by Cisco in between the time of my first and current router purchase. Cisco is the leading company in networking technology.

Being honest - I hate Apple networking products. You pay double to triple for less. The Airport Extreme gives you the WAN port, one LAN port, and wireless. The Linksys WRT54G gives you WAN, four LAN, and wireless. The Airport isn't shiney enough for me to pay that much! :lol:

I'm currently majoring in networking and Cisco products.

gjas15
2005-08-29, 03:36
Now my question is with the modified firmware will WPA or WPA2 + WDS work... Currently on my Asus 300g using a custom firmware it does not... WDS+WEP is the only thing that works if I use WPA or WPA2 it wont connect to my APEX.

I've also bashed on linksys quite a bit... Had a wired router and a wireless one crap out and netgear that died during a firmware flash. bastards told to buy a new $120 wireless router... NEVER buy a netgear.

Maybe linksys has gotten their QA testing under control... Now that they are owned by a big dog that wont let them screw up too much...

I'm also persuing a Cisco Cert... this is my last semester before my test. My techer and I get in arguments about this very topic quite often.

GrafZeppelin
2005-08-30, 09:20
Bah - I call 'em StinkSys

There was a DoS (Denial of Service) attack that caused Linksys routers to lock up. However that was about 2-3 years ago and was fixed almost immediately after. I have had my Linksys running for over 2 years without incident.

Which flash version were you running?

Wickers
2005-12-16, 17:00
I actually just posted in another thread about this, but I too have a WRT54GS (v1.1) and I'm using a 3rd party firmware.

I love it... it's so nice to gain the functionality of devices that cost hundreds with a device that costs about 50 bucks. I even got mine for free... bonus!

potentialswitcher
2005-12-16, 17:02
What's the difference between the 54GS and the 54GL? I have a 6 month old 12" PowerBook, will it support WPA2?

intlplby
2005-12-16, 20:16
what kind of range do you get at that power level?

staph
2005-12-16, 21:24
What's the difference between the 54GS and the 54GL? I have a 6 month old 12" PowerBook, will it support WPA2?

The GL uses the Linux-based firmware, and has twice the Flash memory; the GS (as of v.5) uses some proprietary OS or other, and can thus get away with having half the onboard flash memory.

edit: edited as per Wickers correction of my faulty memory.

Wickers
2005-12-16, 23:43
The GS uses the Linux-based firmware, and has twice the Flash memory; the GL uses some proprietary OS or other, and can thus get away with having half the onboard flash memory.

Incorrect.

Linksys is updating their WRT54G line to v5, which drops half the RAM, and ROM from the v4, and runs VxWorks. The cost to license VxWorks is less then the cost of extra memory and flash, so it's a cost saving measure even though they now pay a licensing fee to a third party for the OS.

Linksys however, knows that roughly 5 percent of sales for their WRT54G or WRT54GS routers are from hobbyists looking to screw around with embedded linux. So they have released a new model, the WRT54GL (Guess what the 'L' stands for ;) ) which really is just a WRT54G v4 with a new name, keeping the extra RAM and ROM and running a linux based firmware.

The 'L' is just a way for people to know for sure that they are buying a router that is linux based... vs checking tags of WRT54G boxes looking for the version number.

:)

staph
2005-12-17, 00:23
Yeah yeah, wrong way round. I should have remembered that L was for linux, not "light".