PDA

View Full Version : Wireless ROUTER w/ USB Printer Server

Fooboy
2005-04-03, 15:39
Hey Guys...

I am looking for a good, reasonably priced Wireless G router with USB print server. NO, I don't want Airport Express and Air Tunes ... its not a fully functional Router and I don't want to have 2 routers ... that'd cost a bit.

Do you guys have any recommendations and where to buy? I found a few at newegg.com but they dont' seem to have many solid choices...

the asus is too new (I think), the SMC doesnt seem to like macs from a rewview, and the Pro Save from Netgear looks sweet ... but doesn't list Mac as a supported OS (although it does say unix and linux ...)

Paul
2005-04-03, 15:56
how many router ports do you need?

The airport extreme base station would be good if you only need one (extra) port... but it is damned expensive and you would be better off just getting a cheap netgear.

Gargoyle
2005-04-03, 15:58
Airport Express IS a fully functional router. I think what you mean is that it doesn't have a built in ADSL modem?

If you are looking for an ALL in 1, then I always hear good consistent comments about netgear stuff, although I don't have any of their stuff myself.

Boomerangmacuser
2005-04-04, 00:47
I'm looking for the same thing. I have a PC and I'm buying a PB. I'd like to print from my PB without having to share my printer through my PC. I'm expecting my PC to be powered off and collecting dust most of the time :lol: . I need at least 1 RJ45 to physically connect my PC and a USB print server for my printer. I don't need DSL because I'm on cable. I hope there's something affordable out there that fits the bill.

Gargoyle
2005-04-04, 07:04
I Know the following is possible with a linux box as a router, does anyone know if the "intelligent" LAN port on the AirPort Express is capable of this...
http://www.paulcourt.co.uk/gargoyle/simple_net.gif

Black Lines Are the physical connections.
Red Arrows WAN Connection to the internet.
Green Arrows LAN Connection.

The single port on the AirPort Express runs on BOTH networks?? Is it possible?