PDA

View Full Version : The Obligatory TIMBERWOLVES (NBA) Playoff thread

Argento
2004-05-16, 12:45
Game 6 tonight against the Kings at Sacremento, I think the Timberwolves are actually going to win out their second series! Sprewell played out his ass last game and KG once again had another great night (which is to be expected) now the only problem is if they do win they have the big bad beast of LA to deal with. But that's getting a head of the game tonight. I really don't like the kings and Christie bugs me the most on that team. I'm just hoping for a win in Sacremento to spare me from the terrible anxiety that will ensue if they lose tonight.

MCQ
2004-05-16, 15:02
Spreewell's on fire right now :)

Meh, freaking Lakers. Oh well, someone's gotta take em out. It'd be nice to see the Timberwolves make it all the way to the Finals (I expect them to win today).

eventhorizon
2004-05-16, 15:21
No one is taking out the Lakers this year. The only team that could have already was destroyed by them.

Trumpetman
2004-05-16, 21:21
Game 6 tonight against the Kings at Sacremento, I think the Timberwolves are actually going to win out their second series! Sprewell played out his ass last game and KG once again had another great night (which is to be expected) now the only problem is if they do win they have the big bad beast of LA to deal with. But that's getting a head of the game tonight. I really don't like the kings and Christie bugs me the most on that team. I'm just hoping for a win in Sacremento to spare me from the terrible anxiety that will ensue if they lose tonight.

Sacramento handed the Timberwolves their ass. Now it is on to game seven.

Neither one of these teams is going to have any gas left for the Lakers.

Nick

Argento
2004-05-16, 23:01
We don't need gas, what we need is for spreewel to joke all of the Kings, especially that punk ass Christie and Miller, then joke the Lakers.

Trumpetman
2004-05-17, 11:13
We don't need gas, what we need is for spreewel to joke all of the Kings, especially that punk ass Christie and Miller, then joke the Lakers.

I doubt that the Timberwolves have the ability to deal with Sacramento for one more game. Sacramento is going to take them. Peja is back on track and so is Bibby. The Timberwolves are only even close because a few of Sacramento's best shooters have been in a slump. I predict A 15+ point blowout of the Timberwolves on their own floor.

Nick

machem
2004-05-17, 13:57

Keep that kind of talk up, and I'll send AP over to fix the 'tude. ;)

The playoffs have been nothing if not entertaining this year. My wife is about to blow a gasket watching these games.

Argento
2004-05-17, 16:27
HA ha very true, except game 2 was really good in this series, and my lord I meant to say choke not joke earlier my grammer, well english for that matter has just been TERRIBLE as of late. AP can lick my scrotum, T-wolves will hand it to them.....on FUCKING WENSDAY! Once again with the three day lay off.

machem
2004-05-19, 15:56
I thought this photo of Christie's apparently biting defense was pretty funny:

http://onsager.cop.uop.edu/~mccallum/bite.jpg

I'm heading home to pick up son #1 before we head out to Arco to watch the game. Yes, I know it's at the Tahr-zhay center --- the Maloof's are opening up Arco so we can all pretend it's here. And sell a few trays of nachos, I'm sure.

alcimedes
2004-05-19, 19:49
man, garnet is looking pretty solid tonight. whenever he starts nailing those outside shots, you know the other team is in trouble.

of course, since none of this matters until the 4th anyway, i'll just hold my horses.

alcimedes
2004-05-19, 22:11
WOO HOO!

KG pulled out all the stops tonight!

great series and game.

MCQ
2004-05-19, 22:30
That was a great game. Garnett was awesome in the 4th quarter.

Hopefully the Wolves-Lakers series will be as entertaining.

Trumpetman
2004-05-19, 23:08
That was a great game. Garnett was awesome in the 4th quarter.

Hopefully the Wolves-Lakers series will be as entertaining.

The Lakers will wipe the floor with these guys. Kevin Garnett is a good player, but we are talking about a team that has no truly big guys against a team that has SHAQ.

It doesn't even matter if the big guys can do anything. You just have to have some bodies and fouls to toss at Shaq so he doesn't go for 40 points. Sacramento would have been harder for the Lakers because Chris Webber, Vlade, and Brad Miller are all serious bodies who at least make Shaq work. Who does Minnisota have that can match up to Shaq?

I thinking a sweep or five games.

Nick

machem
2004-05-19, 23:37
Ugh.

IMHO, the Kings are better Laker-killers than The Wolves, but we can hope. I'll even root for Cassell (but only during this series).

Argento
2004-05-20, 02:18
O DOZER!!!!!!!!!! SHAQ is in trouble. We don't need big guys against the lakers, Shaq didn't stop Parker. Besides regular season 3 - 1 Timberwolves, they know how to deal with the Lakers, only question is can they make the transition in the "playoffs" (which I really don't think is any different from the regular season but ohhhh well).

Trumpetman
2004-05-20, 07:04
O DOZER!!!!!!!!!! SHAQ is in trouble. We don't need big guys against the lakers, Shaq didn't stop Parker. Besides regular season 3 - 1 Timberwolves, they know how to deal with the Lakers, only question is can they make the transition in the "playoffs" (which I really don't think is any different from the regular season but ohhhh well).

Actually Shaq and the Lakers, in particular Gary Payton did stop Parker. Hence why San Antonio is no longer in the playoffs.

There is a big difference in the playoffs. First the 3-1 record against the Lakers this year was run up against then while they were injured. Shaq, Karl Malone, and Kobe were all injured at various times during this season. The other difference is in the playoffs you have to beat a team 4 out of 7 times. During the regular season, one team may be playing at home, the other on the road with back to back games for example. You might have had a hot shooting night, and they might be due to have everything klunk off the rim.

However in the playoffs, there are no back to backs. You have plenty of time to make adjustments to whatever happened to be working "that one night." You have to find a way to beat the same guys over and over. The player rotations shorten so while you might have to beat a Kobe Bryant for 32 minutes during the regular season, you are going to have to find a way to stop him for 42 minutes during the playoffs.

It is a big difference. Karl Malone already stopped one MVP, he will stop another. Gary Payton can stop Sam Cassell. The Lakers have craploads of small forwards who match up perfectly with Minnisota. Kobe Bryant against Latrell, not even close.

Then again, you've got that middle. They don't even have a big body to attempt to just keep Shaq out of the key. Ervin Johnson is 255. Shaq is listed at 340, and almost all of that difference is muscle.

255, that isn't as heavy as Karl Malone. Ol' Karl is absolutely fit and trim and clocks in at 259. Karl is hugely muscle bound for a power forward. He is the guy for whom the phrase was created and yet Karl is dwarfed by Shaq.

The rest of the Lakers will hold their own and Shaq will be the absolute knock out punch. You try pushing a guy 90 lbs heavier than you out of the paint for 40 minutes a night across seven games.

Nick

MCQ
2004-05-20, 22:46
I pretty much agree with you Nick. Still, go Wolves! :p

Argento
2004-05-21, 01:22
ITS GAME DAY BABY!!! I think the T-wolves can seriously win, they've got the heart man, that's all they need!!

Argento
2004-05-23, 22:32
1 - 1 !!!!

Wrao
2004-05-27, 20:11
This is the first time I've really been following the playoffs.

I must say, Sprewell is a great player, he didn't do to well last game, but game 2 he was amazing.

But game 3, man, t-wolves got destroyed, they were down by 10 almost the entire game.

I just turned on game 4, this should be good.

alcimedes
2004-05-27, 20:18
they really need to win tonight, or they're going to be in a world of hurt.

time will tell i guess, but it seems a lot depends on how the refs call the game, which is part of why i hate pro basketball.

Wrao
2004-05-27, 22:47
T-wolves had a good start, but Lakers really bounced back, and demolished them in the end.