PDA

View Full Version : newbie needs advice re:PB15" v 12" (plus 17" monitor)

scubaski
2005-04-06, 11:26
I have been lurking around this board for some time and as someone desperate to switch to Mac asap I learnt a lot from the info available here.

I am now waiting for Tiger to come out before I make my move. I am torn between the PB15" (combo drive)) as a replacement to my current clapped out Dell Insiron3700 14" which is my only computer and is used most of the time as a desktop. however I believe I get more versatility for the same money going for a PB12" with the money saved (~$600 in UK) going into a 17" monitor. I expect to use the PB for general office stuff, internet, storing music and photos.

What are your views and which 17" monitor would you recommend as being the best bang for my buck..err pound?

Cheers from London.

allam89
2005-04-06, 11:38
If I were you I would go for the 15" simple because it has a really nice screen and saves you the pain of connecting your laptop. Also the 15" has a much higher resolution which will help a lot in web browsing and opening multiple applications.

Franz Josef
2005-04-06, 13:14
welcome to 'Nova scubaski - there are a lot of threads comparing PBs - use the search function at the top of the page. I use a 12" PB because it's so very portable and I love it to death. If portability is your thing, go 12".

Most would feel the 15" is better for that interweb thing and is ideal for photos / movies (though I find my 12" great for managing my photo albums). In addition, 15" has better connectivity (more ports).

Suggest you stroll down to Regent Street and try both to see if you want the extra screen size.

scubaski
2005-04-07, 05:11
Thanks for the welcome and advice, guys. Even though I am a Mac Newbie I know about the Search function and I used it with good results.

I know that given my requirements any laptop can do the job easily so I am not really comparing specs per se. Also, if given the choice between 12" (w/o external monitor) and 15" only I would def go for the 15".

The quality of the screen is very important to me, as is screen size but to a lesser degree (min 15"). What complicates the matter is that I would def need a monitor with the 12" PB and I do not really know which monitor to compare against the PB15". the apple ones seem expensive. also not sure about the practicality of hooking up the PB to external monitor and the cabling mess. the one box solution sems more elegant.