PDA

View Full Version : DP 1.42 G4 or SP 1.8 G5 or PB 1.5 12"

Beed
2005-04-07, 01:44
I thinking about Getting a power Mac sp 1.8 G5 8GB Ram max Or DP 1.8 G5 4Gb ram max or If my budget will Not allow A mac mini with 1gb ram and superdrive. I will be using it primarily for photoshop CS ,MS Office,and Internet. my current Computers are Imac G3 400DV SE 13GB HD, 640mb ram, OS 9.1 and PowerCenterPro 210 604e 2GB HD,512mb ram, OS 8.6 . So no matter what I go with it will definitly be an upgrade

Luca
2005-04-07, 02:05
The dual will definitely be the fastest of those choices. If you can afford it, that's what I'd get. But you might not need quite that much power. Consider an iMac G5 instead - they are still quite powerful, but they also include a very nice LCD screen for about the same price as a PowerMac (which doesn't come with a screen).

A Mac mini would still be well suited to the tasks you want to do as well, but it won't be nearly as fast. But don't feel like it's going to be slow. Compared to your current Mac, it'll be extremely zippy.

In any case, you should upgrade your RAM to a bare minimum of 512 MB, preferably 1 GB. Apple tends to charge too much for RAM, but you can get it pretty cheap from Crucial (http://www.crucial.com/), Other World Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com/), or NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/).

Koodari
2005-04-07, 03:39
I'm just talking in general, I don't know your specific needs and how much speed is worth to you...

If there are no special considerations (location, looks, immediate need for a little more speed...), I'd always take a great display and a mini before an iMac. Cheaper in the long run when you want to upgrade the computer. I guess if I can get by with the mini, I would also prefer the mini to a SP Powermac, because I think the SP is not good value while DP is.
Always compromise on the computer not the display. You'll thank yourself in two years when the display is still awesome and the computer is old and tired.

telekon
2005-04-07, 09:40
I thinking about Getting a power Mac sp 1.8 G5 8GB Ram max Or DP 1.8 G5 4Gb ram max or If my budget will Not allow A mac mini with 1gb ram and superdrive. I will be using it primarily for photoshop CS ,MS Office,and Internet. my current Computers are Imac G3 400DV SE 13GB HD, 640mb ram, OS 9.1 and PowerCenterPro 210 604e 2GB HD,512mb ram, OS 8.6 . So no matter what I go with it will definitly be an upgrade

If you're a serious Photoshop user buy a dual processor machine even if it's a used dual processor G4 as it does make a vast difference. A Mac mini is a great machine but Photoshop CS is a VERY greedy application. As others have rightly said though, put up against your current Macs, all of your options will simply FLY! :D

Beed
2005-04-07, 13:33
If you're a serious Photoshop user buy a dual processor machine even if it's a used dual processor G4 as it does make a vast difference. A Mac mini is a great machine but Photoshop CS is a VERY greedy application. As others have rightly said though, put up against your current Macs, all of your options will simply FLY! :D

I just heard that you can update your mini at fastmac with a speedier HD 5400 100 GB or 7200 60 GB and a duel layer 8x dvdrw and 1gb ram for 599.99 has anyone done that? As For my choices now I donot want another imac ther great computers but I already have a decent monitor for my powercenterpro and whatever I get will be replacing that. for the most part every apple desktop has lasted me well over 8yrs so I expect nothing less from a G4 & G5 tower a mini I'm still unsure about. But isn't the sp 1.6 G5 tower esseintally like an imac but with the capacity to hold 4Gb of ram would that be a good option or a used dp 1.42 G4 only 2Gb ram though max?

Beed
2005-04-07, 13:53
well as far as my budet I could probably get either a DP 1.42 G4 Or a SP 1.8 G5 both used of couse which one is my best bet i will be doing Photoshop CS Iam currently using a nikon D70 but plan On getting the Nikon D2x this winter but i first need to upgrade my computer which one of these computers would suite me best my budget is 1550.00 max wih tax

Luca
2005-04-07, 13:56
I decided to merge your new thread with your previous one. They both concern the exact same subject and they're both active. No need to post a new thread.