PDA

View Full Version : Tapping on trackpads

Boomerangmacuser
2005-04-07, 15:58
Waiting for Tiger before getting my Pb. When will Apple make the &*%$^$ announcement! :mad: I went into a store to look at the different sizes (to see if I can live with a 12" screen). The PB's I tried don't seem to respond to a tap, I had to click the button to select. On my work (read: wintel) laptop you can tap the trackpad once or twice for a single or double left click. That way you can navigate with one finger. Is that a feature that's just disabled or is it not supported in OS-X?

johnq
2005-04-07, 16:03
It's disabled by default, but it's easily turned on in System Preferences: Keyboard and Mouse.

No worries.

mers
2005-04-07, 16:03
It's just disabled. First thing I did when I went to try out the Powerbooks was enable it. Goes to show how stiff that damn button is.

Boomerangmacuser
2005-04-08, 12:36
Phew! Thanks. It seemed like such a basic thing that OSX should have. I didn't get any help from the rep at London Drugs (Canada).

MCQ
2005-04-08, 12:51
They sell Apple laptops at a drug store? :confused:

Boomerangmacuser
2005-04-08, 13:05
London drugs sells everything from prescription drugs to plasma TV's. They have an electronics department and they're Apple resellers but you'll be lucky if you find someone that knows anything about Apple products. They just regurgitate what's in the brochures. They're everywhere and open late though so good place to go tinker with 'em.

rollercoaster375
2005-04-08, 16:56
I very much dislike that feature, it seems to me that you would click accidentally too much.

johnq
2005-04-08, 19:05
That's why it's double-tap to drag, not single-tap.

As for single-tap, t's very rare to hit anything that happens to be clickable by accident.

Random Hero
2005-04-08, 22:18
I very much dislike that feature, it seems to me that you would click accidentally too much.

I have the same nasty habit of accidentally hitting the track pad with my palm while typing and suddenly, mid sentence, I'm lost in another window.

So, since I only usually have this problem when my laptop is on my desk and I have a USB mouse plugged in, I just set it so when a USB mouse is present the trackpad is disabled.