PDA

View Full Version : Low-cost monitors?

Wyatt
2005-04-09, 20:39
When I get my Mac Mini this summer, my PC (along with my 15" LCD display) will be downgraded to HTPC duty (assuming I fall in love with my Mini like I anticipate). Where can I get a low-cost CRT monitor?

I want at least 1600x1200 and 19" of real estate. My budget for this will be around $150. Any suggestions? (Please, no Korean Data Systems, a.k.a. KDS, a.k.a. Last One I Had Caught On Fire)

Luca
2005-04-09, 20:54
See if there's a used computer store or something around you that might have used monitors. Shipping's going to be a killer on any monitor that large, and there's no way you can get an LCD larger than 17" for that little.

A 19" CRT monitor is at the edge of usefulness and comfort when running at 1600x1200. Unless you get a very high quality one with good refresh rates (i.e. an expensive one), you won't really enjoy using one at that resolution. On the other hand, if you're willing to go cheap it IS an option.

Here (http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=-840&storeId=1&langId=-1&dualCurrId=73&categoryId=2576397&productId=8686545) is the monitor I got. It's reasonably good quality and will do 1600x1200 at 75 Hz. I didn't run it at that resolution, though... it just caused too much eye strain. Also, I got free shipping on it when I bought it.

Man, I'd get you a NewEgg link too but I can't seem to access their site! Maybe it's down or something. $170 isn't a super great deal for a 19" monitor really, considering you can get a 17" LCD (which provides just as many pixels for comfortable viewing) for only about $30 more. IBM has actually raised the price... it was $150 including shipping when I bought it several months ago.

Personally I'd keep my eyes open for a good deal on a 21" CRT. That's really what you need to run 1600x1200 without causing a lot of eye strain. They tend to be pretty expensive, though.

Wyatt
2005-04-10, 09:30
Thanks for the link, Luca. I think NewEgg was down last night. I couldn't get to it either (NewEgg is my favorite store and always the first place I look).

I may hit a computer fair here in Indianapolis before too long. I know one person who got a 21" CRT at a fair in Illinois for $50. It sounds insane, but it's true. I'll probably check a fair out before I buy anything.