PDA

View Full Version : The Smell of Plastic...

kraig911
2004-06-16, 16:30
I Love it... does anyone have a lot of new cd's or computer parts that I could open for you? or am I going to have to go spray canned air around the place again...

Wrao
2004-06-16, 16:32
I can wiggle my little toe independently from all my other toes.

Wickers
2004-06-16, 17:56
Me too!!!!!

I love the 'new computer' smell.

I fix and build computers for a living. . . everytime I build a new system I always take a deep breath after opening the anti-static bags. I don't know why I like the smell.

Odd eh?

Windswept
2004-06-16, 18:05
Okay, I like the smell of fresh plastic too.

This started when I was a kid and covered my school books in some green plastic stuff sold off a big roll at a fabric store.

I don't know why I liked the smell so much, but I did.

Now, I like the smell in the center of expensive new hardback books with glossy pages. What a great smell that is.

Of course, 'new car' smell is always fantastic too. :)

Mac+
2004-06-16, 18:30
It could be something to do with memory triggering ... like the fact that when we were kids (and still now, I'm sure) a new gift was something exciting and was associated with a happy occasion, such as a birthday, for example. Maybe that is why we "dig" that brand new plastic smell ... mmm plasticy goodness. :lol:

As for that new car smell, I love it too. In fact, I tried to preserve it as much as I could by instigating a no fast food policy in the car. I'm actually quite happy about that one. :D

Oh, and btw, you can buy those "new car smell" air freshener trees (to hang in the car), but I don't think they smell anything like a real new car smell. My personal favourite is the vanillla tree... oh the irony, I like to smell fake vanilla as opposed to fake car. ;) :shrugs:

Quagmire
2004-06-16, 23:20
How about the smell of new aluminum from the powerbooks? When I got mine new it smelled wonderful.

HOM
2004-06-16, 23:43
Macs once had a distinct smell. It didn't matter if it came from Cork or from Elk Grove, but they smelled the same. That was actually one of the most disappointing things when I got my Moto clone, it didn't have that Apple smell. Now Macs don't have it any more. They're made in the same plants as HPs and Gateways and just smell like PC.

:(

Bender
2004-06-17, 01:39
I read a few years back that the SC Johnson Co has spent thousands of dollars trying to replicate and bottle "new car smell." So that we can all believe that our 85 Civic is factory-line new.

I love my fellow Americans. :D

Windswept
2004-06-17, 14:31
It could be something to do with memory triggering ... like the fact that when we were kids (and still now, I'm sure) a new gift was something exciting and was associated with a happy occasion, such as a birthday, for example. Maybe that is why we "dig" that brand new plastic smell ... mmm plasticy goodness. :lol:

As for that new car smell, I love it too. In fact, I tried to preserve it as much as I could by instigating a no fast food policy in the car. I'm actually quite happy about that one. :D

Oh, and btw, you can buy those "new car smell" air freshener trees (to hang in the car), but I don't think they smell anything like a real new car smell. My personal favourite is the vanillla tree... oh the irony, I like to smell fake vanilla as opposed to fake car. ;) :shrugs:
Hi Mac+. Fragrance is a *huge* part of memory triggering, I'm sure. When I was a kid, we lived in Mexico for a few years. The only thing I liked about going to church on Sundays was that afterwards we always stopped by the pharmacy (drugstore). The pharmacy was immaculately clean and had the most wonderful fragrance which I can't possibly describe or even pinpoint. I loved that fragrance, because every time we went there, I got to buy comics. :D I was in child-like ecstasy at the thought of getting new comics. So that pharmacy fragrance I would now associate with joy, excitement, and a feeling of the abundance of life. :)

New car - yeah, I like vanilla the best too; though the apple one (green apple?) was pretty nice also.

It IS amazing how fast food permeates a vehicle. My car smells like McDonald's fries right now. :rolleyes: Tsk.

Neø
2004-06-17, 18:06
i like the smell of paint and gas....and glue

-Neø

Barto
2004-06-17, 19:04
http://www.derok.net/derok/images/woman/best-godzilla.jpg
Run for your lives!

Neø
2004-06-17, 20:18
why run?
because of me?
i may be a troll, but i'm still not Kasper...

-Neø

PS: I really like AI comunity and that's why i registred here at .org
i will try not to post trollish threads

Wickers
2004-06-17, 20:32
That's fine,

I would not expect you to post troll-ish threads. . .

To speed things up, look here for the full details on what happened with the split. (if you don't already know)
http://forums.appleinsider.org/showthread.php?t=3
and
http://forums.appleinsider.org/showthread.php?t=12

And if you want to know why I was deleted off .com. . . look here.
http://forums.appleinsider.org/showthread.php?t=307&p=4264

Amorph lied, I did not spam the forums. . . he is just doing his part to cover up this whole mess.

InactionMan
2004-06-17, 21:12
Plastic smell is good. As is the text book smell. But the smell of musty old books is wicked bad! That sends running for the bathroom everytime. :o

Mac+
2004-06-18, 00:15
Hi Carol,

I'm doing a course in Human Factors at the moment and I should have this knowledge to hand - but I chose to focus on sound for my last essay instead of the other senses. Once I have my essays and exams out the way I'll post up some info on the olfactory (sp?) senses.

Yeah - I know that fries can seriosuly permeate a car. Fish and chips are notorious too. My old car never really smelt too bad - but after a gig, if I stopped by McDonald's at 2 in the morning for a bite to eat, the next day the fast food smell was still there. That is one downside of being a muso and doing long shows or late gigs - when you're driving home (and hungry) the only places open are the 24 hour fast food joints.

As you know, I haven't had any fast food in my car (since I bought it new two years ago) and it has been a sensible move. To capitalise, I made a vow not to eat fast food (McDonald's, KFC, Hungry Jack's - aka Burger King - or any other similar stuff) for the year. It, surprisingly, hasn't been too difficult. :)

kraig911
2004-06-21, 13:56
i like the smell of paint and gas....and glue

-Neø

you should try sarin gas... I hear its all the rage.

Neø
2004-06-21, 13:58
you should try sarin gas... I hear its all the rage.

i'm talking about the stuff you put in your car, you idiot!

-Neø

Kickaha
2004-06-21, 14:14
"The guy who huffs calling a bystander an idiot."

"What is 'irony', Alex?"

Wickers
2004-06-21, 14:21
:lol:

Neø
2004-06-21, 16:10
"The guy who huffs calling a bystander an idiot."

"What is 'irony', Alex?"

*tries to punch Kickaha in the nose, but misses, and hits the bookshelf behind him instead*

-Neø ----> :grumble: :mad: