PDA

View Full Version : Better Applecare

animalhouse50
2005-04-10, 07:53
Has anyone heard of Safeware.com? They are an insurance company, that basically covers most of your electronics, especially laptops. The thing about them is that they cover both theft and accidental damage. They are also mentioned in Macworld.com, so they seem legit.

Right now i have applecare, do you think i should cancel the plan and get safeware's plan? From the quote calculator, a laptop that costs around $1300 is covered for around $81 (it is probably per year).

ibook applecare costs about $183 (educational discount) and your paying for 2 years, since apple care is an 2 year extension of your initial 1 year. If i got safeware's plan, it would cost $162, if i wait till my ibook initial one year applecare is over. But it covers accidental and theft.

so what do you think?

murbot
2005-04-10, 08:31
Safeware is an insurance policy to compliment your AppleCare plan. It does not cover and wear and tear or mechanical breakdown. If your hard drive fails, you call AppleCare - Safeware does not cover it.

Safeware is for accidental damage or theft. Spill something on the keyboard, drop it off a counter, etc. One thing - it doesn't cover theft from an unattended vehicle.

You should have a look at Safeware's FAQ (http://www.safeware.com/faq.php#faq12).

Koodari
2005-04-11, 04:11
You should only take insurance when you can't bear the risk without it, or when your particular risk far exceeds the risks of other people who would get this insurance at these particular terms. In other words, avoid most insurance besides health and fire.

Applecare is a rare case where insurance might be a very good deal both to you and the issuer. This because Apple has a monopoly on many of the parts, and the costs of repair are significantly different to you and them.

Luca
2005-04-11, 09:20
Also, see if your homeowner's or renter's insurance covers your portable. I'm pretty sure if someone steals your computer, it'll be covered by that. Maybe only if it's stolen from your home, but I'm sure it varies from company to company.