PDA

View Full Version : 12" Rev. A AluBook worth switching?

Unbeliever
2005-04-11, 05:16
My problem is as follows:

Ever since 2001 i`ve been wanting to switch. When i got my 3G iPod in 2003, it made me wanna switch even more, but i could never really afford switching (i`m a student in Serbie never the less)

Few days ago a coleague of my mum's offered me to buy a 12" Rev. A AluBook and the price is dirt cheap. And i mean it`d cost me less than a stock 1.25 mini. One of the problems is that it even doesn`t have a wall adapter so i couldn`t turn it on and see the rest of the specs. I know it has a 7455 G4 867Mhz (that`s what rev A AluBooks had) GeForce 420 Go, 40Gb HD but that`s pretty much it.

I currently own a PC Laptop w P4 2.66Ghz, 512 DDR 333 RAM and a 64MB Ati Radeon Mobility 9000. It also has a 15.4" 1400x1050 screen which is "good enough".

From what i`ve read, as an advanced user (on the PC side) i`ll probably find it slow cause some people even find the 1.25 mini slow. I`d use the PB for Net with some light PS work and mostly as a digital hub but since i`d have to sell my PC laptop to buy the PB, it`s gonna be my main machine for a while.

I would get Tiger for it but what i`m affraid that this almost 3 year old tech will make my 1st Mac experience pretty miserable and slow (speed is my main concern). I`d also stack the max 640 Mb of RAM in it (depending on how much it has in). However i never really had the chance to use a Mac for longer periods so i could be just talking out of my ass. :p

So what is your advice? I want a Mac soooo bad plus this is the first time i`d be able to afford one. (as i said, it`d cost me less than a 1.25 mini)

Should I wait and save to get a mini or go for this 12" AlBook? (i repeat, it`s really cheap compared to what i`ve seen on eBay and other bidding websites)

Sorry for grammar and typos but i`m in a hurry and excited. I`ve been an Apple nut ever since 2001 and i know all the specs for all their machines but without a real user experince, it all fails.

PS Here are general specs for the Rev. A AluBooks. I won`t know the specs of the one i`m looking to buy untill i turn it on >.<
PowerBook G4 (12.1")

Codename: Thresher

CPU: PowerPC 7455

CPU Speed: 867 MHz

FPU: integrated

Bus Speed: 133 MHz

Data Path: 64 bit

ROM: 1 MB ROM + 3 MB toolbox ROM loaded into RAM

RAM Type: PC2100 DDR

Minimum RAM Speed: 266 MHz

Onboard RAM: 128 MB

RAM Slots: 1

Maximum RAM: 640 MB

Level 1 Cache: 32 kB data, 32 kB instruction

Level 2 Cache: 256 kB on-chip, 1:1

Screen: 12.1 active matrix TFT

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 420 Go

VRAM: 32 MB

Maximum Resolution: 24 bit 1024x768

Optical Drive: 24x/24x/10x/8x CD-RW/DVD-ROM

Hard Disk: 40 GB

ATA Bus: ATA-100

Ethernet: 10/100Base-T

USB: 2

FireWire: 1

Video Out: mini-VGA

Audio Out: stereo 16 bit mini

Audio In: stereo 16 bit mini

Speaker(s): stereo, center midrange

Microphone: mono

Modem: 56 kbps

AirPort Extreme: optional

BlueTooth: internal

Gestalt ID: 406

Power: 47 Watts

Weight: 4.6 lbs.

Dimensions: 1.18" H x 10.9" W x 8.6" D

Minimum OS: 10.2.3

Maximum OS: 10.3.7

Introduced: January 2003

Terminated: September 2003

torifile
2005-04-11, 06:03
That computer's no slouch. It should be absolutely fine if you put more RAM in there. The price is hard to beat so if you can do it, I'd go for it. At the worst, you don't like it and make a profit when you resell it.

Mac+
2005-04-11, 06:20
12" AluBook is also a stylish way to enter the world of Mac. ;)

As tori advises - and you tell us you're going to do - it should be perfectly fine with the RAM upped (maxed in your case).

My only concern is that you don't get to see the computer or use it before you buy it. How well do you know this colleague of your mother's - are there any dead pixels on the screen, or something similar which may be part of the reason the computer is going so cheaply?

Of course, don't forget to budget in a "wall adaptor" and maybe also an extra battery! ;)