PDA

View Full Version : A small mic to tape lectures on PB

SlackerDX
2005-04-15, 13:14
Hi everyone. I am a student and I have a 15" Powerbook. I take it to class each day. I would like to find a discrete mic so that I can record the lectures. I've seen people using small microphones on iPods and want something similar. Will that one work on a Powerbook?

Also, have they come out with decent BT headphones yet? I'd like to take advantage of the Bluetooth 2.0 the Powerbook came with...

eleazar
2005-04-15, 14:17
is there any reason that you don't just use the built in mic?

I Thrash Therefore I Am
2005-04-15, 14:25
built in mic works great, but I use my iSight and record my lectures in iMovie. After the exam I burn em to a dvd. Definetly helps more than just recording.

ghoti
2005-04-15, 14:43
The problem is that the PB (at least the 12" one) doesn't have a microphone input, only line in. So you would need a "powered" microphone, which is probably a bit less discrete. As for BT, I don't know if there is any normal BT audio hardware, except from BT headsets (which would probably not work too well for your purposes).

Performa636CD
2005-04-15, 15:49
how much video can you record into iMovie? With my iSight i could only record 13 min or so before the recording just stopped. i assumed it was because i ran out of RAM or whatever. also, the video file when done recording was HUGE, like 1.5 gigs for only 13 minutes

Kickaha
2005-04-15, 15:50
Nope, not RAM, it's that iMovie (being a 32-bit app) can't handle more than 2GB of memory at a time.

Kiren
2005-04-15, 16:11
Actually the 12" powerbook does hace a mic built-in, although I can't speak for how well it would record lectures as I've only used it to play with speakable items.

BlueRabbit
2005-04-15, 16:32
Actually the 12" powerbook does hace a mic built-in, although I can't speak for how well it would record lectures as I've only used it to play with speakable items.
It works well; the only problem is that it is right above the keyboard, so whenever you type something on the keyboard, the microphone picks it up really loudly. :grumble:

atomicbartbeans
2005-04-21, 20:59
What app do you use to record lectures? I've tried Audacity, but I'd like something a little easier to use. Audacity is more of a pro recording app. Maybe something that would just record to an mp3 file?

BlueRabbit
2005-04-22, 01:07
What app do you use to record lectures? I've tried Audacity, but I'd like something a little easier to use. Audacity is more of a pro recording app. Maybe something that would just record to an mp3 file?
It looks like Quicktime Pro 7 (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quicktime/) has some recording built in.

http://images.apple.com/macosx/features/quicktime/images/indexcapture20050412.jpg

Personally though, I use Microsoft Word to tape lectures. When you combine that with the notes, it's really easy to skip to certain parts of the lecture. If you already have Word 2004, I'd definitely use that.

sunrain
2005-04-22, 01:21
Nope, not RAM, it's that iMovie (being a 32-bit app) can't handle more than 2GB of memory at a time.

Of course, iMovie HD doesn't have that problem since it's set up to work in HD. I've got a 90 minute clip of a lecture that I recorded sitting on my hard drive.

No transcoding needed, iMovie will capture the live video and audio stream direct from iSight. Like other media you import, the clips will go right to the Timeline or Clips Pane. And don’t worry about running long because with iMovie HD, there’s virtually no limit on video and audio clip length.

http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/import.html