PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce AI members' usernames?

Neø
2004-06-18, 17:08
I mean that you might have your own way of saying someones name.

When I say murbot i pronounce it more morbot than mihrbot

What about you?

-Neø

murbot
2004-06-18, 17:09
You have a speech impediment, eh?

:lol:

Actually, I probably mispronounce yours as well. Instead of Neo, I say "neooooooh god what now"

heh

Wrao
2004-06-18, 17:36
how else would you pronounce my handle?

murbot
2004-06-18, 17:41
wrong robot

:)

Wrao
2004-06-18, 17:45
wrong robot

:)

winner.

iBrowse
2004-06-18, 18:37
While I pronounce it 'mur-bot' I think to myself "that stupid canuck". I believe either would be appropriate.

SledgeHammer
2004-06-18, 18:39
There's pscates who could be (silent p)scAYts or as I pronounce it (to myself, since I don't think I've ever mentioned anyone's handle out loud before) p-scayts(that p is just a short puh) but it might also be p-skahtees, etc.
And then there's groverat which I absolutely can't help but seeing as grover rat. Oh well...

propellerhead
2004-06-18, 18:46
Heh, trying figuring out my old name: job. :D

Is it jo-b, or j-ob? Hmmmm? :p

Neø
2004-06-18, 19:01
There's pscates who could be (silent p)scAYts or as I pronounce it (to myself, since I don't think I've ever mentioned anyone's handle out loud before) p-scayts(that p is just a short puh) but it might also be p-skahtees, etc.
And then there's groverat which I absolutely can't help but seeing as grover rat. Oh well...

i thought it was grovecat :o

and as for pscates i read it PC-cates

-Neø

Wickers
2004-06-18, 19:03
Wick-'s

(like the candle wick owns something)

The same way you would pronounce that author's last name, Ben Wicks.

Neø
2004-06-18, 19:14
to me it was Wykees

-Neø

Wickers
2004-06-18, 19:21

Hehe... you should hear some telemarketers try to tackle it. (Wickes is my last name, see how original I am)

I often get Wick-ies, Wickeeze. . . .or just Wick-is.

Moogs
2004-06-18, 19:32
I pronounce Murbot's name as if it were French Canadian...

"Mir-boh"

:D

Neø
2004-06-18, 20:01
I ponounce Moogs as mugs

-Neø

murbot
2004-06-18, 20:16
I pronounce Murbot's name as if it were French Canadian...

"Mir-boh"

Bastard!! I'm no frog. Wait, that was mean.

Well, I'm not.

It's Moo-gs, Neo. As in boobs. heh heh

curiousuburb
2004-06-18, 20:28
SOO-Pa-Ka-RAH-TAY-Mon-KAY-Deth-CA (said quickly sounds Japanese)
where the Supa is like Supafly, or Sou-Per (as in "Isn't he just Super!")?
:\ :p

KYU-Rhe-Us-u-Burb. Sometimes the penultimate u is silent. :D

Luca
2004-06-18, 21:06
Wow Ne¿, you really DO have a speech impediment.

Murbot as "more-bot" rather than "mihr-bot"?
Moogs as "mugs" rather than, well, "moooooogs"?

You need to get your long and short O's and U's straight. Speaking of which, I think you just earned yourself a new name:

Nee-uh.

Moogs
2004-06-18, 22:31
Bastard!! I'm no frog. Wait, that was mean.

Well, I'm not.

I knew you would appreciate my pronunciation.

:smokey:

It's Moo-gs, Neo. As in boobs. heh heh

You've been hanging out on 17th Street too much, but that is one comparison I won't argue with. "Moogs likes boobs" might be any easy way to remember it. :D

thegelding
2004-06-18, 22:33
mur bot

simple...helps i guess if you know his first name

as for some of mine:

for some reason i always think of P Scates as PS Cates...just my fetish for phoebe cates i guess

groverat i know is suppose to be grover at (austin texas)...but he is either grover rat or grove rat or usually g'rat to my mind

as for myself...it seems a lot of you young whippersnappers get personal with me and call me the short form, geld or gelding...the proper use of my name, and for a man of my age, is of course thegelding, and maybe even thegelding, sir...i won't even comment on the times i am merely called "g"...horrors of familiarity i dare say

g

2004-06-18, 22:41
'Seven Oh Nine'

Not 'Seven Zero Nine' or 'Seven Zed Nine'.

'Seven O'Nine' is probably OK too.

2004-06-18, 22:54
KYU-Rhe-Us-u-Burb. Sometimes the penultimate u is silent. :D :eek: Damn! I never even noticed the penultimate u! You were always 'curiousburb' in my head-voice. Same gist I guess...but damned if that post didn't question my reading skills. :\

curiousuburb
2004-06-18, 23:04
'Seven Oh Nine'

Not 'Seven Zero Nine' or 'Seven Zed Nine'.

'Seven O'Nine' is probably OK too.

Admirer of a statuesque Borg in a spandex corset?

2004-06-18, 23:21
Admirer of a statuesque Borg in a spandex corset?Nope. I was 709 loooong before the Borg hottie came on the scene. It has to do with Austin. And my dog.

3 hints:

Jim Franklin
Guy Juke
The Armadillo World Headquarters

Ask groverat. He might have some insight. ;)

Mac+
2004-06-19, 00:19
I actually refer to Moogs as "mogues" myself. The reason being, (and I've mentioned this to him once before) is that one of the most popular synthesizers of all time was the minimoog, invented by Dr Bob Moog - who, btw, was honored by the Grammys the same year as Apple (2002 - if memory serves me well). Anyway, heaps of musicians and non-musicians make the mistake of referring to that classic bass line sound of the minimoog as a MOOOOOOG bass sound - when in actual fact, Dr Bob himself says that his name rhymes with vogue. So there ya go! :) (history lesson over)

pscates I simply think "skates" to myself - sounds cool. :cool:

murbot - I actually think "mur-boh". I attribute this to the fact that it was about two years or so before I ever read that mihir-robot story of his at AI.com and by then my pronunciation had been formed. Still, haven't managed to add the hard t to the end. :\

curiousuburb - I figure this is wrong, but I go for: "curious suburb" :confused:

wrao throws me a bit - I know he's Wrong Robot - but I don't get the variation or link for this name. I used to think "ray-oh", but now I just think "bassplayer" ;) (btw - what is the significance of Station?)

there are also some members who I'll always just think of abbreviations: "dmb", "wba", "ut" and "cc" :| - but I always love saying to myself superkaratemonkeydeathcar :lol:

Oh and apologies to thegelding for the "over familiar" use of your title (g) - although I don't quite think I'm one of the whispersnappers you may think me to be. :err:

crazychester
2004-06-19, 00:35
as for myself...it seems a lot of you young whippersnappers get personal with me and call me the short form, geld or gelding...the proper use of my name, and for a man of my age, is of course thegelding, and maybe even thegelding, sir...i won't even comment on the times i am merely called "g"...horrors of familiarity i dare say

Then as a woman of your age, I shall henceforth require crazychester ma'am (Americans can say "mam", Poms can stick with "marm", the French, of course, will use "madame", VB feel free to throw in a fraulein if the mood takes you).

I can't stand cc but I keep my mouth shut about it because I know if I tell you all you'll make a special point of calling me cc instead of my preferred Chester.

Oh fuck.

Powerdoc
2004-06-19, 01:19
I pronounce Murbot, the french way, because it sounds good in my head. Anyway I am certainly the only one to pronounce it that way. The french way of pronouncing U, is very difficult for english native speakers.

I pronounce Pscates, PS cates

Sir Thegelding, since Sir Mac of the isles is not there, I swear that I will use the proper title that suit with your mighty age.

Madame CrazyChester, I take note of your suggestion, and will use the title of madame in front of your name.

crazychester
2004-06-19, 01:30
Merci beaucoup Monsieur Powerdoc.

Actually I've labored with the murbot/murboh thing too 'cause I wasn't sure if he was French Canadian or not. I suspected not. However, I think you should give some serious consideration to insisting people pronounce it "murboh" murbot because it sounds so grand.

Mac+
2004-06-19, 01:50
re: cc - apologies ma'am.

but every time I say chester - my mind kicks into "chester, chester, child Michael Jacksoniser" (not good for a personality association I would think) :(

what about: straight shooting French talking Aussie dancer? ;)

SKMDC
2004-06-19, 02:03
"i call elvrybody carl"

Wrao
2004-06-19, 02:13
wrao throws me a bit - I know he's Wrong Robot - but I don't get the variation or link for this name. I used to think "ray-oh", but now I just think "bassplayer" ;) (btw - what is the significance of Station?)

I can't think a better way to write my name phonetically than how it is. :)

Staion is from bill and ted's bogus journey, its meaning is similar to "excellent!" or "totally non-heinous!"

Mac+
2004-06-19, 02:29
thanks for the explanation... I wish I had a witty Bill and Ted quote to insert here as a term of appreciation ... but alas, :\

crazychester
2004-06-19, 02:42
re: cc - apologies ma'am.

but every time I say chester - my mind kicks into "chester, chester, child Michael Jacksoniser" (not good for a personality association I would think) :(

what about: straight shooting French talking Aussie dancer? ;)

Ah no! You're Australian you can call me Chester maaaaaate. (Any non-Australians who take such liberties get a clip).

*Special Bonus French Ballet Talk* for Powerdoc: When executing a fouette rond de jambe en tournant en dehors, the incoming shoulder gives the impetus to turn. (the acute on "fouette" fell into the too hard basket)

Now you wobot. I am really pissed you changed your name. I am also pissed with Hassan for changing his. So no matter what, you shall remain Wrong Robot and Hassan regardless of anything else you might try to call yourselves. And never shall those faux names (more French!) pass my lips. Err, fingers. :p

Mac+
2004-06-19, 03:00
crazychester I laughed out loud when I read that. I'm not a big fan of the blokey colloquialisms the Aussie male has come up with. I'm also very glad that the term "mateship" never made it into the premable of our constitution! :rolleyes:

However, for you, I will gladly make the exception!

Maaaaate! :D

LoCash
2004-06-19, 08:30
Whenever I see "Chinney" on the boards, I always see it as "Chimney". That is the sole reason as to why his member title was at .com, and has been here since he joined, "Chimney".

But maybe I'm just messed up...

Moogs
2004-06-19, 08:53
Murbot is going to pleased to see that despite my humorous attempt to razz him about his name, two other members thought it was "mur boh" from the beginning. I think I'll just start calling him Francois.

I must also confess that I never noticed the penultimate U in curiousuburb. It was always "curious burb" to me.

LoCash is "Lo cash" not "Lo cahz" "Loc ash" "Loca sh" or "Locas h"

;)

Wrao is "Row" because "Rr ¥ ow" sounds goofy.

and of course

TheGelding is "theg ¥ elding"

Kidding...

PS - for anyone who doesn't know by now, it's "Moo (as in cow) • gz". I am not worthy of naming myself after the coolest synthesizer of all times, though being a Tangerine Dream affecionado I certainly recognize one when I hear it.

Mac+
2004-06-19, 09:58
OK Cowman - but you'll have to forgive me if I think "mogues" when I see your name. It's a consequence of the longer association I have with synthesizers and the designs of the good Dr, as opposed to the relatively limited period of time I have shared conversing with your esteemed self. ;)

HOM
2004-06-19, 11:21
thanks for the explanation... I wish I had a witty Bill and Ted quote to insert here as a term of appreciation ... but alas, :\

http://www.arturogil.com/images/bt2.jpg

This little brown dudes are Station. They build the good Bill & Ted robots to stop the evil Bill & Ted robots.

And always, Be excellent to one another!

Moogs
2004-06-19, 11:31
OK Cowman - but you'll have to forgive me if I think "mogues" when I see your name. It's a consequence of the longer association I have with synthesizers and the designs of the good Dr, as opposed to the relatively limited period of time I have shared conversing with your esteemed self. ;)

Naturally. I was merely attempting to inform anyone who might not be familiar with my moniker. You of course are free to consider me "Mogues" as there is some merit to that comparison as well.

Maybe I should make an avatar that has a Moog synth along with a pair of large, firm "boobs" resting on either end.

DMBand0026
2004-06-19, 11:53
Whenever I see "Chinney" on the boards, I always see it as "Chimney". That is the sole reason as to why his member title was at .com, and has been here since he joined, "Chimney".

But maybe I'm just messed up...

Well, if you're messed up, make that two of us. Cause I always saw it that way too. :lol:

Moogs
2004-06-19, 13:21
"DM Band...." is how I think of that ^ name... or alternately "The Other Chicago guy".

Neø
2004-06-19, 14:03
"DM Band...." is how I think of that ^ name...

Me too

-Neø

Mac+
2004-06-19, 20:20
Naturally. I was merely attempting to inform anyone who might not be familiar with my moniker. You of course are free to consider me "Mogues" as there is some merit to that comparison as well.

Maybe I should make an avatar that has a Moog synth along with a pair of large, firm "boobs" resting on either end.

:D:lol: I'm honoured - thank you ... and yes bring on the MoogBoob synth! :D

Mac+
2004-06-19, 20:24
... sometimes I also think of DMB as "the firefighter kid" b/c I thought I read somewhere once that that is what he wants to do.

Mac+
2004-06-19, 20:33
HOM thanks for the Bill & Ted info. I need to see that film! :)

Paul
2004-06-19, 20:40

if you have seen ANY movie with Keanu in it, you have already seen most of bill & ted... well the Bill part anyway... ;)

propellerhead
2004-06-19, 21:00
Well, if you're messed up, make that two of us. Cause I always saw it that way too. :lol:

Hah, for some reason I always saw your name as DMBand2006.

I have no idea why. :cool:

DMBand0026
2004-06-20, 01:00
My name is supposed to be D(ave) M(atthews) B(and) 0026. Why the 0026...who knows? I might make up a funny story about it like Murbot's someday. So you guys are right about that.

And yep, I'm here in Chicago...so "the other Chicago guy" works too.

And Mac+, I am the fire fighter dude, you are correct.

You guys got me all figured out :D

Windswept
2004-06-20, 02:30
I have a copy of it. Haven't watched it for quite a while, but parts of it really make me smile. Like they go to the Circle K to ask people questions about history. I think Keanu does a great job of acting mindless, innocent and sweet. :)

Eugene
2004-06-20, 03:59
Yoo-jhen Yif-ghen-ee Oy-ghen Yoo-jeen

_Ω_
2004-06-20, 05:25
I actually wanted my username to be ½ but it was not supported at the time :(

Powerdoc
2004-06-20, 12:12
[QUOTE=crazychester]Ah no! You're Australian you can call me Chester maaaaaate. (Any non-Australians who take such liberties get a clip).

*Special Bonus French Ballet Talk* for Powerdoc: When executing a fouette rond de jambe en tournant en dehors, the incoming shoulder gives the impetus to turn. (the acute on "fouette" fell into the too hard basket)

[QUOTE]

It may look weird, but the english part of the sentance has a lot more meaning for me. :D

My knowlegde of ballet, is I must admit it, very poor :(

thuh Freak
2004-06-20, 13:09
i tend to think of dmb as "Steve Miller: Firefighter Extradinaire". somehow the 'd' becomes 's', and dood, for a while atleast, he was mentioning that firefighter gig a ton. wrao i think of as 'ra-ow'. mines is quite easy, methinks. i tried to do it phoenetically for youse all ready: the Freak. but so yous dont go thinking too much and make the 'the' into 'theee', i do it 'thuh'. and curiousuburb loses that middle 'u'. locash is m3djack. of the mods who changed their names back a while (i feel like there was like 5 people who changed their names like over a weekend or something, back a while ago), his is like the only one i remember and correlate to the new. besides starfleet, but that one always seemed unnatural to me. superkarate.. i alwasy try to break down into an acronym. i usually fail after karate. i then proceed to think of it in full. most everyone else i tend to pronounce through my semi-ny accent without any major modifications. atleast not that i can think of.

Windswept
2004-06-20, 15:12
In one thread, back at the other place, I kept calling Wrong Robot "Wrong Robert".

My vision is perfectly good, so it must have been massive inattention. :\

I think "Wrao" sounds Chinese...or something.

crazychester
2004-06-20, 16:13
Yeah I figured that Classical Ballet terms would have only slightly more meaning to someone who speaks French than to someone who doesn't Powerdoc.

Maybe Wrong Robert, curious burb and pc scates has something to do with the brain jumping to conclusions effect. To wit:

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluodÊaulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer inÊwaht oredr theÊltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist andÊlsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and youÊcan sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deosÊnot raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Amzanig huh?

The thing I find incredible about this is not only that I can read it but I can read it almost as fast as if it wasn't gobbledygook.

I love brain stuff like that. :)

Luca
2004-06-20, 16:28
We discussed that strange way of writing back at .com a few months ago... I concluded that I couldn't read it nearly as easily as if it were written properly. Also, in one of my classes last year (Communication Theory) we questioned the validity of the so-called "research." We couldn't find confirmation that there was ACTUALLY research done at Cambridge University (or anywhere else for that matter) confirming what the phrase claims. http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/cambridge.asp Snopes says undetermined whether it's real or not. One of the ideas I thought of in my comm theory class was that the sample phrase contains jumbled words that are still make enough sense to easily read. When we tried randomly (well, as random as the human mind can get) jumbling words while leaving the first and last letters in the right order, they were much harder to read than the original phrase.

Windswept
2004-06-20, 16:45
I didn't have trouble reading it, though I was a little slower than normal.

I wonder if people with dyslexia could win speed-reading contests against ordinary readers, if 'everyone' had to read articles written entirely with paragraphs like the above. Just a thought.

propellerhead
2004-06-20, 17:01
I didn't have trouble reading it, though I was a little slower than normal. I think I was able to read it faster than normal! :eek:

Windswept
2004-06-20, 17:23
I think I was able to read it faster than normal! :eek:
That's because when you're at this forum, the propeller makes you faster. ;)

Chinney
2004-06-20, 23:07
Whenever I see "Chinney" on the boards, I always see it as "Chimney". That is the sole reason as to why his member title was at .com, and has been here since he joined, "Chimney". But maybe I'm just messed up... I figured that was it. ;) As for me, the only name that really messes me up is \/\/ickes. I just can't stop reading it as V. Vickes. And in the recesses of my mind, the first V is always for "Vladimir": "Vladimir Vickes" I have tried to stop reading it that way - I really have - but I just can't. I may seek therapy.

Mac+
2004-06-20, 23:41
^ I love it! :D

\/\/ickes - can we just call you Vlad from now on? ... c'mon please! :lol:

Powerdoc
2004-06-21, 00:47
Yeah I figured that Classical Ballet terms would have only slightly more meaning to someone who speaks French than to someone who doesn't Powerdoc.

It has some meanings, fouette must mean a quick move, and rond de jambe a circular move of the leg : but then the real movements should be different of what I think :)

propellerhead
2004-06-21, 01:55
That's because when you're at this forum, the propeller makes you faster. ;) You better believe it! :D http://www.plimu.com/images/propellerhead.jpg I have no idea what this kid is doing, only that he came up in a google image search for 'propellerhead.' :D

Windswept
2004-06-21, 03:12
I figured that was it. ;)

As for me, the only name that really messes me up is \/\/ickes. I just can't stop reading it as V. Vickes. And in the recesses of my mind, the first V is always for "Vladimir": "Vladimir Vickes" I have tried to stop reading it that way - I really have - but I just can't. I may seek therapy.
I love this too, Chinney. It's funny the things that run through our minds, that normally we would never even 'think' to mention.

I love 'Vlad Vickes'. I always sorta 'saw' his name as ////ickies.

When I see your name, I sometimes think: "Not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin."

dviant
2004-06-21, 09:23
Sadly since I don't have to say them out loud I often pronounce things incorrectly in my head (I think as a way of remember how they are spelled).... pscates being the prime example. I tend to think of it as "puh-skot-ees" haha. And murbot is "mer-baht". Not sure who else has anything out of the ordinary that I may be mangling my head.

I'm in a Q3 clan (sad I know) and one of our guys (actually part of the world champ ctf team C9 too weee) on-screen names is Yrim. Try to pronounce that right lol. We didn't have to deal with it until we got on voice commo heh.

Wickers
2004-06-21, 12:11
\/\/ickes - can we just call you Vlad from now on? ... c'mon please! :lol:

You can call me what you will. . . but IMO just \/\/ickes is fine.

crazychester
2004-06-21, 16:04
It has some meanings, fouette must mean a quick move, and rond de jambe a circular move of the leg : but then the real movements should be different of what I think :)

That's pretty spot on. You'd probably do very well in the theory section of a ballet exam, Monsieur Powerdoc. Perhaps not so great on the practical stuff though. ;)

I got one that I think Carol will appreciate. Segovius, despite knowing it's spelt S-E-G, I can't help but say as Sir Govius in my head.

Mac+
2004-06-21, 19:29
You can call me what you will. . . but IMO just \/\/ickes is fine.Oh OK ... seeing that you changed your signature and member status to reflect the recent "Vladimism" :D, I'll resist the urge to add to it and respect your preference for \/\/ickes :sigh:

Wickers
2004-06-22, 00:59
Golly! Someone changed my member title! :err:

That was not by my request, I'll tell you that.

Sigh. . .

Xaqtly
2004-06-22, 14:27
It's pronounced 'xaqtly how it looks. :D

"exactly" without the first "e".

InactionMan
2004-06-22, 19:39
I immediatly associate Canadian members with their city (if I know it). Chinney has always been 'guy from ottawa'. Wickes is 'from teedot too!' and so on and so forth. When I do pronounce Wickes' name I prounce it Vickes! in a harsh German accent (as I seem to recall him claiming German heritage).

pscates is pronounced 'piss-cat-ish'

Moogs i pronounce the same as Bob Moogs of Theremin fame.

Ummm...that's all I can think of right now.

Mac+
2004-06-22, 20:32
Moogs i pronounce the same as Bob Moogs of Theremin fame.
YAY! :D chalk up 2 for "mogues" (http://forums.appleinsider.org/showthread.php?p=8288#post8288) ;)

Chinney
2004-06-22, 20:41
[...]

When I see your name, I sometimes think: "Not by the hair of my chinny, chin, chin."

Ha. Believe it or not, I had not thought of that one. Actually, the origin of my nickname is fairly obscure, even to me. My cousins started it when I was a kid, and I never got a straight story from them on why.

thedustin
2004-06-23, 10:03
What about Salmon Steak?
You know, the desktop guy at .com.
_thedustin

edit: Is he a member here? my bad...

propellerhead
2004-06-23, 10:56
Golly! Someone changed my member title! :err:

That was not by my request, I'll tell you that.

Sigh. . .

Heh, it's like those trolls that get the 'Annoying Asshole' titles.

Sometimes, I don't think we get any input as to what our title says.

;) :p :D

drewprops
2004-06-27, 13:09
I don't know HOW many times people have mis-read my screen name...

Neø
2004-06-27, 20:33
I don't know HOW many times people have mis-read my screen name...

i accidently read it as dewdrops

-Neø

HOM
2004-06-27, 20:37
Mine is spelled HOM, but it's pronounced asshole.

:\

_Ω_
2004-06-27, 20:42
Damn, I have always been pronouncing it arsehole !! :lol:

[kidding]

;)