PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know where I can find the iMac released during the Summer of 2001?

.Hack
2005-04-18, 20:43
The title explains it all. I can't find it on ebay, if ya'll can, please post the link. I'm really thinking of getting one of these iMacs for some personal stuff... That or buy one and get some upgrades through FastMac or something, but I dunno yet. If you can find one of these iMacs, please tell meh. For those of you who have no idea what i'm Talking about, this is the iMac that came out right before the flat panel iMac and it's blue. Thanks for the help! :)

edit: ok, I found 5 on ebay, but if you know of anymore and are reasonably priced, please share. ;)

Luca
2005-04-18, 21:15
Why? Why waste your money on an old iMac (which will probably end up being overpriced and underpowered) in addition to buying the FastMac upgrade (which is also overpriced and underpowered)? What is your reasoning? How much would you be spending? How much do you have to spend?

If you want help you should give us enough information to help you. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $250 for any CRT iMac, even the late models.

flail
2005-04-18, 21:37
Or get a FP. There are G4 Superdrive models with buku ram going for around $650 on eBay.

.Hack
2005-04-18, 21:42
I don't even know if I'll go through with it. I could use it as a Linux machine, it's not going to be used for anything heavy duty. Notice this is the "purchasing advice" section of Applenova, not the "Talk about the purchases you definitely plan to make" section. And I don't plan on paying more than $300 if I even decide to buy one. But it's not that big of a deal. Settle down ya'll, the attitude can be dropped. :\

Luca
2005-04-18, 22:55
Hey, I didn't mean to be rude or anything... but it seems like you're not really asking a very substantive question. I was requesting more information by raising all the questions I had when reading your post. There were a lot of questions; therefore, you should probably provide more information.

My opinion? G3 iMacs may be okay for really undemanding tasks, especially if you want the option for OS X compatibility. It really depends on how much you'd pay though. If you can get a G3/400 or higher for $200 or something, it might be worth it. But I don't think one of those G4 upgrades would be worth the price. That's basically for people who already own their iMacs and paid for them long ago, and would rather spend $200 to upgrade them instead of $500+ for a new Mac, plus the cost of a monitor.

.Hack
2005-04-18, 23:06
It's cool, no hard feelings. :) If I go through with this, it will definitely be an undemanding mac, strictly miniscule tasks. I'm thinking server or something to hold files and such for my website. I'll go more in depth in the morning, I've gotta go to bed for now. Until then, thanks! :)

ast3r3x
2005-04-19, 05:56
Dude...go for the mac mini and use an old display or something like this (http://www.microtechcomputers.com//product.asp?Sku=MOP1AS%2D1503SG&promo=pricewatch).

Don't be impatient dude, if you just wait and save up a little more money, you'll get such a better deal than if you buy now. Do you have a job, or is this just weeks of allowances saved up?

Luca
2005-04-19, 08:54
You know, the Mac mini isn't the solution to everything. I saw several iMac DVs on eBay with $200 buy it now prices. Now, they are admittedly a lot slower than the mini. On the other hand, they cost less than half as much, and you're getting a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and in many cases you also get upgraded/sufficient RAM and hard drive space. With the mini, the cost quickly balloons as you add a monitor (the one you listed is $170), a keyboard ($30 for the Apple one with the Mac-specific layout), a mouse (about $20 for a basic USB mouse), and a 512 MB RAM module ($50). That's $770, almost four times as expensive as one of those iMacs on eBay.

I might suggest looking for someone who's willing to give you a beige G3. Those are about the only OS X-capable Macs that have dipped into the "worthless/gift" zone. My brother has two or three of 'em I think. I mean, if I wanted, I could set up a beige G3 desktop system right now. Just get one of my brother's G3s, connect one of his several ADB keyboards and mice, and either hook it up to the VGA input on my LCD, or just take one of his crappy 15" monitors he has lying around.

I guess you could also go the "super cheap" route with the monitor, keyboard and mouse on a Mac mini too, but why do that if you are paying $500 for just the computer? I'd either go for an inexpensive iMac, maybe a used eMac (hell, check this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=51034&item=5768545624&rd=1) one out), or a super cheap system like a beige G3 or even a pre-G3 PowerMac in lieu of a nicer system.

thuh Freak
2005-04-19, 10:53
my sister has an original bondi blue imac. the cd drive has issues. it doesn't work with OSX (not sure what version it craps out on). its damned difficult to get another OS onto that machine, since the cd doesn't work (not even to boot off of). with classic (os8.6 and probably some versions of os9), the cd drive did work (its how we got osx on there originally). it has a decent amount of ram (can't remember off my head), and an extra big internal drive (i'm guessing 10-20gig, compared to the original 2 or whatever they had back then). she bought another computer that she uses, and basically the imac just wastes space in the closet (assuming she hasn't already thrown it out).

i can probably get her to sell it for less than 2 bills + shipping, if you're interested.

Luca
2005-04-19, 13:40
I acquired a Bondi blue iMac for free about a year ago with the same issue... non-working CD drive. And yet ANOTHER one a few years ago had the same issue.

I ended up selling mine for something like $120 shipped. Less than two bills? Try less than one bill.

thuh Freak
2005-04-19, 13:51
i think i remember u or someone else at the boards telling me they had the same problem.

I ended up selling mine for something like $120 shipped. Less than two bills? Try less than one bill.
1bill=$100
2bills=$200
1bill < $120 < 2bills
;)
anyway, i dont know just how much muh sister wants to get from it.

Luca
2005-04-19, 15:08
That was one year ago. Computers depreciate fast. I don't think I'd be able to get $100 shipped for the iMac now. In fact, I was surprised back then that I was able to sell it for $120. With the broken CD drive, I would have only paid maybe $50 for one (assuming I could put it to some use).