PDA

View Full Version : Editing banned users' posts (poll inside)

ghoti
2005-04-20, 08:17
Just a question/remark because it just happened to the free iMac spammer: Why do the moderators edit the posts? I can see why you would remove the links, but now people won't know what he got banned for. Yes I know it's funny and stuff, but to people who didn't see it happen it looks like he really posted something else. Somehow I just don't think that's ok - plus, it means people won't learn from seeing that spammers get banned.

Oh, and since this is practically begging to be made into a poll, I'll try my luck with one ... ;)

alcimedes
2005-04-20, 08:20
The thread titles stay the same, which are usually enough to make it obvious.

As for why I edited the entire post?

command-a, delete, type.

It's faster that way, that's all. Takes more time to pick out just the link, and I was in a hurry.

_Ω_
2005-04-20, 08:24
ghoti is offering free iMacs! Yay for ghoti!

:lol:

ghoti
2005-04-20, 08:25
Yeah, I can understand that. I also understand that you guys get tired of the spammers and want to get a bit of revenge.

So please don't take this as critizism, I'm just wondering what people think ...

Edit: this was in reply to alcimedes' post

psmith2.0
2005-04-20, 08:36
To be completely honest, I'm for heaping as much public ridicule and scorn as possible on this particular breed of numbnut.

:mad:

They come and go in waves, it seems. But there's really no excuse. It says right in the posting guidelines, when you register an account, NOT to do this. That alone should be enough. But besides that, just common sense and courtesy should tell you it's not cool. And if it doesn't, then you're just a dick.

So the people who do it are a) blatantly ignoring the guidelines - totally thumbing their noses at them - and b) well, just being an inconsiderate pain-in-the-balls. They strike out on two separate fronts, IMO.

You don't accidentally post spam. "Ooop...heehee...sorry, didn't mean it!". No, it takes effort and purposeful actions. You sign up and go through the whole process just to post this stuff. It takes a special kind of dipshit to go out of their way to go to a site, as a complete stranger, and do this.

Ban 'em. Ban their children Ban their pets, just in case. And upon locking thread, mock or slam them ruthlessly for good measure.

There is no such fucking thing as "free iPod", people.

:err:

_Ω_
2005-04-20, 08:53
....rant...rant...rant....

Wanna hug?

:)

psmith2.0
2005-04-20, 08:56
Nope.

Just amazed at what makes people do this (or fall for it). :(

You don't have to read it.

Bryson
2005-04-20, 08:57
I like it. I moderate a forum on a different subject, and I like the moderation style over here - it's firm, but entertaining. I dont see why you should respect the rights of a person who has deliberately breached your terms and conditions.

More power to them. If only I could persuade the Admin at our forum that it was a good thing....we tend to just delete spam like that entirely, keeps the place clutter-free.

Wraven
2005-04-20, 09:31
I like putting humiliating phrases where their posts were. Entertainment for us, pwnage for them.

dviant
2005-04-20, 09:45
I'm with Wraven... pwnt teh sp4mm0rs!11!!1 It's just funny, and they deserve to have humiliating things done to them. I laughed at the monkey comments I saw this morning. :D

onlyafterdark
2005-04-20, 10:55
Yes, and it allows the mods to show their true creative skills. :D

Brad
2005-04-20, 10:57
Entertainment for us, pwnage for them.
And besides, it's not like the spammers are even members of the community. These are folks that register simply for the sake of spamming. They won't be coming back. They probably won't even realize we edited the posts.

It's not so much about exacting revenge on the spammer as much as it is up making it a warning to the real community members that, hey, this isn't accepted behavior and if you ever try it, you're outta here.

dviant
2005-04-20, 15:37
The forum equivalent to a medieval head-on-a-pike... raaawrr.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-04-22, 07:55
The forum equivalent to a medieval head-on-a-pike... raaawrr.

Or a warning to what happens if you consort with shadows:

Vir: I want to live just long enough to be there when they cut your head off and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next 10 generations that some favours come at too high a price. I want to look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

http://www.code7r.org/inquiz/images/morden6.jpg

nomorewindows
2005-04-23, 22:39
There is no such fucking thing as "free iPod", people.

:err:
Not quite true. Just ask Sledge. Now, where's my free iMac?

ghoti
2005-04-24, 04:40
Now, where's my free iMac?
Just PM me with your address, then send me the $500 for postage (I'm shipping from Europe) via Western Union ...

BlueRabbit
2005-04-24, 10:27
I have a better deal than ghoti. Just send me only $100 for shipping, along with your credit card number & expiration date & security code, bank account number, mother's maiden name, and computer password. Oh, and scans of your passport, birth certificate, and signature are needed, too.

:p

psmith2.0
2005-04-24, 13:56
The scary thing is, there are people out there who totally would!

:(

People get an e-mail and see an Earthlink or Bank of America logo on it, and don't think twice about giving up any and all info in reply.

:eek:

johnq
2005-04-24, 14:29
I think it's better to edit/delete a banned user's message than to make a poll concerning the practices of the moderators...a coercive use of "democracy" that simply doesn't apply on a private forum. It presupposes this forum is a democracy. It's not.

If the majority of poll voters want the mods to do/not do something, it might not lead to the mods changing their ways anyway.

</asskiss mods>

Brad
2005-04-24, 14:34
johnq is right. This isn't a democracy, but that doesn't mean we don't seriously consider the input from the community. Whenever there are big policy decisions to be made, we try to weigh things according to how they would affect the entire community in the long run. If we weren't succeeding at that, most of you wouldn't be here.

ghoti
2005-04-24, 14:42
I wasn't trying to coerce anybody into anything, I was just interested in people's opinions. Looks like nobody else is concerned about this, too bad. I still believe it shoudln't be done, but I can't do anything about it. Sucks ;)

johnq
2005-04-24, 18:12
I think I could have phrased it better. So long as the expectations of the voters isn't to force change, polls are fine. But I think there is something inherent in poll that makes voters expect change if their side has the higher number. (So I didn't mean Ghoti was being coercive, just that polls can be coercive by their very use). ;)