PDA

View Full Version : mac mini, emac? i need help

i need help
2005-04-24, 14:37
Hey all,
I'm brand new to the world of macs and have basically decided to switch from a pc to a mac. I needed help in deciding which is right for me though. I guess my budget is between the mac mini and emac range, and i just wanted to know which is a better computer for the value. I have the display for the mac mini, but i would not mind replacing it if i got an emac. However i would have to buy a a new keyboard/mouse with either machine. I would probably go for the 1.42 mac mini, with a 512mb upgrade; and a combo drive emac with a 512 mb also, i would need a wireless internet card in both though. Im not too heavy of a comp. user, mostly internet, light music downloads, word processing (im a high school student), and a few other jobs here and ther. ANy comments would be appreciated, tell me if you need more info too.

Also, i've heard rumors that a new emac is coming out within the next week or so (with the release of tiger), can anyone really validate this?

Wickers
2005-04-24, 15:22
Also, i've heard rumors that a new emac is coming out within the next week or so (with the release of tiger), can anyone really validate this?

... No.

That's why it's a rumor. :p

groverat
2005-04-24, 15:25
I recommend the mini. You already have a display and it will likely last longer than your computer.

All-in-ones are largely useless, IMO.
It's going to be a sad day for a lot of iMac users when their machine is just too slow and they have to get rid of the beautiful 20" LCD along with it.

Luca
2005-04-24, 15:34
I'd also go for the mini. Even if your current display sucks, hopefully you can either use the savings vs. the eMac to buy a new one, or you can just save up and use your current one until you can afford a better one. 17" LCDs are getting really cheap these days... you should be able to get one for just a little over $200 now.

The eMac does have a few advantages you should consider, though. First of all, it includes a halfway-decent display. Assuming it's better than your current display, that might be a welcome addition. You also get a keyboard and mouse included in the price, and you can easily upgrade the RAM and add an Airport card yourself later. So with an eMac, you can just buy a cheap 512 MB module from a third party (around $50) and install it yourself, whereas with the mini you have to pay Apple something like $75 to install it for you, and you end up with a total of 512 MB (wheras the eMac would have 768 MB after adding a 512 MB to the stock 256 MB).

Just a few things to think about. I have a mini myself and I really like it. I upgraded the RAM and optical drive myself, getting a DVD burner and 1 GB of RAM, and it wasn't TOO hard. Of course, if you're not doing anything too demanding, 512 MB is probably enough RAM. Just don't get stuck with the stock 256 MB, it sucks donkey balls.

Brad
2005-04-24, 16:09
Here's a third vote for the mini.

The only real advantage the eMac has is a faster hard drive. Just bump the mini's RAM and you'll be set!