PDA

View Full Version : What OS are ya runnin'?

Neø
2004-06-21, 13:36
Windows 98 fer me, :rolleyes:
what 'bout you?
OS X? :cool:

-Neø

Powerdoc
2004-06-21, 13:43
Panther

Brad
2004-06-21, 14:09
This thread deserves a poll. SO IT SHALL BE DONE.

SilentEchoes
2004-06-21, 14:27
Panther all the way. Well all the way up until they release Tiger.

torifile
2004-06-21, 14:37
We can see who voted for what? That's, umm, interesting, I guess. I'm not sure I like that.... But Panther*3 here.

Wickers
2004-06-21, 14:47
Main OS:

Linux, but I am stuck between distros in this current junction of time.

I have been using Slackware Linux for about just over two years now. Covering Slack 8, 8.1, 9.0, 9.1 and I just finished testing out 10RC1 and RC2. Slackware has given me a greater understanding of how a Linux system works. You can learn a lot more about Linux using Slackware, then if you were using RedHat, MDK, SuSE, etc. . .

About a few months back I took a different path then Slackware. I was planning to give SuSE a try hoping that it would let me focus on my work vs having fun tweaking the system. But, while on my way to give SuSE a shot, someone asked me to try Gentoo.

I spent about a month on Gentoo, and I loved it. Then I spent about a month on SuSE 9.1, and I did not like it so much. At this point I killed SuSE and installed Slackware 10RC1.

After giving 10RC1 a few weeks, I concluded that I would revisit Slackware when 10 is fully out. Until then I plan on messing around with other distros.

Now, my OS partition (where a distro would be) is empty and waiting for fresh code. . . I have been using the PCLinuxOS Live CD (pre7) and really like it. The only thing holding me back from installing it on my hard drive is that is still uses a semi-patched 2.4.22 kernel. After being spoiled with 2.6, I just can't bring myself to going back. Now I am downloading Knoppix 3.4 to give it a shot, I mean, why not?

---

Other OSs being used in my house:

OS 8.6 on an iMac.
System 7.5.5 on a Mac LC520.

Powerdoc
2004-06-21, 14:53
The poll allow only one answer, I clicked on panther and then on window XP, but this damn poll registered only windows :mad:

It's unfair when you consider that 5 of my computer are under panther, and only one (for my kids) under window XP :D

murbot
2004-06-21, 14:59
I put Panther, because I'm on that the most obviously... but I'm on a PC with Windows XP installed right now.

I'm also navigating the site with only my keyboard, because the frickin' mouse is FUBARed again. Time for a little fire tonight. I'll get the camcorder ready. Demolition video to follow.

:)

Ebby
2004-06-21, 15:09
Well, two of my computers are running 10.3 so I choose that one. But I also have one running OS 9, one with Win 2000, and I'm building one that will run Linux.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-06-21, 16:44
My iBook is running 10.3.4 (I'm really looking forward to 10.4), my P2/233 is running Mandrake Linux 9.1, my dad's comp is running 10.3.3 and my brother's comp is running 10.3.2 I think.

thuh Freak
2004-06-21, 16:49
i checked 'Linux', but Linux is not an operating system, it is the kernel. here (http://www.fsf.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html)'s an explanation from a person who feels very strongly about the nomenclature. oh, and i use gentoo.

i have osx (jaguar, or panther, i forget which, as it is rarely touched) on a hard drive in that same box.

stoo
2004-06-21, 17:48
I run Mac OS 10.3.whatever on my home Mac. At work I use RedHat, which would be great except for X Window's screwed copy and paste behaviour. :mad: (seriously, who thought that select = copy is a good idea? And that's just the start of it.)

InactionMan
2004-06-21, 17:53
I'm running Panther but will not be upgrading to Tiger. Not that I don't think my four year old Mac will be unable to run it I've just put a moratorium on spending on this Mac so I can afford the new headless iMac that Apple will release at WWDC.

thuh Freak
2004-06-21, 19:18
At work I use RedHat, which would be great except for X Window's screwed copy and paste behaviour. :mad: (seriously, who thought that select = copy is a good idea? And that's just the start of it.)
yea, its really annoying at first, but you get used to it, and learn to love it.

staph
2004-06-21, 19:38
At home: 10.3 on my laptop and my desktop, and Debian on the 7600 I use as a firewall/proxy/webserver.

At uni I look after a small network which includes Debian, Windows 2000, XP, system 9.2.2, system 10.2, and system 10.3 boxes.

Barto
2004-06-21, 20:25
i checked 'Linux', but Linux is not an operating system, it is the kernel. here (http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/linux-gnu-freedom.html)'s an explanation from a person who feels very strongly about the nomenclature. oh, and i use gentoo.

i have osx (jaguar, or panther, i forget which, as it is rarely touched) on a hard drive in that same box.

RMS is an admirable guy who deserves recognition for the things he has done (the GPL license, FSF, the various GNU programs). However him wanting his name on Linux distros is stupid. What do all Linuxes have in common? Linux. Yes, they have the GNU programs in common too BUT so do other operating systems! Mac OS X includes emacs, gcc, grep and the like, but you don't have people saying "IT'S NOT MAC OS X! IT'S GNU/MAC OS X!". Linux is what makes Linux distros unique, and RMS needs to get that bug outta his ass.

Barto

DMBand0026
2004-06-22, 02:35
Panther.

I love OS X!

thuh Freak
2004-06-22, 07:46
RMS is an admirable guy who deserves recognition for the things he has done (the GPL license, FSF, the various GNU programs). However him wanting his name on Linux distros is stupid. What do all Linuxes have in common? Linux. Yes, they have the GNU programs in common too BUT so do other operating systems! Mac OS X includes emacs, gcc, grep and the like, but you don't have people saying "IT'S NOT MAC OS X! IT'S GNU/MAC OS X!". Linux is what makes Linux distros unique, and RMS needs to get that bug outta his ass.

Barto
rms did a shitload of work on the GNU Project, as did its other contributors, and it's not fair to refer to an OS which consists mostly or largely of their work without giving them credit. osx is more a bsd derivative than a gnu derivative, if memory serves; and the bsds largely have alternate programs, which are mostly compatible with gnu versions. his gripe, i think, is that the gnu programs outweigh the kernel in mass and direct usage in the various distros, and aren't given recognition.

feend
2004-06-22, 10:02
Mac OS X includes emacs, gcc, grep and the like, but you don't have people saying "IT'S NOT MAC OS X! IT'S GNU/MAC OS X!".

However, you do get a GNU/Darwin distribution which is a far more appropriate comparison to the Linux kernel than Mac OS X.

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-06-22, 10:23

You ever heard of MacOnLinux (http://www.maconlinux.org)? It allows you to run OS X/9 in a window on any PowerPC *nix.

Chinney
2004-06-22, 10:44
I'm running Panther but will not be upgrading to Tiger. Not that I don't think my four year old Mac will be unable to run it I've just put a moratorium on spending on this Mac so I can afford the new headless iMac that Apple will release at WWDC.

Good plan. Unless they put something that I absolutely need on Tiger, I’ll probably stick with Panther on my iMac G3 500. I have to save for a iMac G5 or a laptop. Of course, I might just ask for Tiger as an Xmas gift from my wife, like I did with Panther last year. A bit pathetic, I know, but I’ve stooped lower. ;)

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-06-22, 10:46
I'm gonna get Tiger as soon as it comes out. ^_^ I can't wait to see what new features are gonna be implemented. ^_^

thuh Freak
2004-06-22, 13:08
You ever heard of MacOnLinux (http://www.maconlinux.org)? It allows you to run OS X/9 in a window on any PowerPC *nix.
i have heard of it. and at first i was opposed, because i wanted a completely free box. then i relented because i couldn't get firewire working (the only reason i keep osx is to update my 'pod). when i tried compiling it there were some issues and i haven't tried it in a while. thanks for reminding me though; i'll try it again this weekend. i have trouble believing that an OS within an OS could access my hardware better than the other OS, but i'll give it a shot.

Res
2004-06-24, 01:36
Powerbook: 10.3.4
Powermac 8600: multi-boot: Yelowdog Linux, OS 9
Powermac 8100: Yelowdog Linux
Gaming Rig PC: XP
Experimental PC: multi-boot RH linux, Free BSD, Windows 98, ME, and NT.

That's what I had running until I moved into my sister's place for the summer. Now I just have my powerbook, everything else is still packed away. :(

ShiggyMiyamoto
2004-06-24, 06:06
Powerbook: 10.3.4
Powermac 8600: multi-boot: Yelowdog Linux, OS 9
Powermac 8100: Yelowdog Linux
Gaming Rig PC: XP
Experimental PC: multi-boot RH linux, Free BSD, Windows 98, ME, and NT.

That's what I had running until I moved into my sister's place for the summer. Now I just have my powerbook, everything else is still packed away. :(

Nice! What do you use your Linux boxes(systems/computers) for?

Why oh why are you using Win ME as one of the Dual Boot choices on your Experimental PC? ME is the worst Micro$oft product of them all... It's just as unstable as OS 9 in some ways (in my opinion).

And by the way it's YellowDog Linux not Yelowdog ^_~

propellerhead
2004-06-24, 21:27
Good plan. Unless they put something that I absolutely need on Tiger, I’ll probably stick with Panther on my iMac G3 500. I have to save for a iMac G5 or a laptop. Of course, I might just ask for Tiger as an Xmas gift from my wife, like I did with Panther last year. A bit pathetic, I know, but I’ve stooped lower. ;)

I decided to pass on 10.3 to save money.

I've got an iMac (G3 400Mhz) running 10.2.8 but I rarely use it.

My main machine is a Wallstreet Powerbook (soon to be 500Mhz G3/512MB/40GB) running 9.2.2. I'm fanatically trying to install Gentoo on it, but I'm really stuck at the moment.

EDS66
2004-06-24, 23:38
The poll allow only one answer, I clicked on panther and then on window XP, but this damn poll registered only windows :mad:

It's unfair when you consider that 5 of my computer are under panther, and only one (for my kids) under window XP :D

Powerdoc, nice to see you here.

EDS66
2004-06-24, 23:40
I decided to pass on 10.3 to save money.

I've got an iMac (G3 400Mhz) running 10.2.8 but I rarely use it.

My main machine is a Wallstreet Powerbook (soon to be 500Mhz G3/512MB/40GB) running 9.2.2. I'm fanatically trying to install Gentoo on it, but I'm really stuck at the moment.

The older your machine, the more you need Panther. I have a Blue and White G3 running Panther. It's nice and quick. Was not nearly that fast under Jag. The $99.00, or whatever the price is right now, is well worth it.

Res
2004-06-25, 01:00
Nice! What do you use your Linux boxes(systems/computers) for?

Why oh why are you using Win ME as one of the Dual Boot choices on your Experimental PC? ME is the worst Micro$oft product of them all... It's just as unstable as OS 9 in some ways (in my opinion).

And by the way it's YellowDog Linux not Yelowdog ^_~

I was using one of them for a web and DNS server, the other I would use to test my scripts and such before putting them on the live server.

OSX has really changed the way I work, nowadays I do most of my testing right on my powerbook (but I was keeping them all up because some things are best reserved for a dedicated test machine).

As for the Experimental PC, I just threw on all of the OSs I had lying around at the time. You are right about Windows Me, it was very unstable -- I got it when it first came out and ended up switching to Win 98 (it was a gaming rig at the time and NT would just not do the trick).

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 01:26
I actually preferred Jag over Panther. Expose is nice, but I find I need to restart more now than I used to. I get the dreaded crash when I awake from sleep issue - especially if I had VPC running. You know then can move the mouse but cant click anything....

And yes I did a clean install :)

DMBand0026
2004-06-25, 09:40
That's very odd. In my experience Panther has been nothing but faster, more stable, and easier. Maybe you installed it wrong? ;)

Seriously though, if you have problems it might be a corrupt install, doing a backup and another clean install (although time intensive) should solve all your problems.

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 10:39
PEBKAC PEBKAC

DMBand0026
2004-06-25, 10:48
PEBKAC PEBKAC

Well...I thought it, I'm just glad you said it and not me. :lol:

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 10:52
I could reinstall no issues I guess. I have been a good pixie and kept all my update installers, have all my rego's in a nice file, and have a big HD to store all my info one.

But then again I am lazy.

:lol: