PDA

View Full Version : To The 5 Boroughs

HOM
2004-06-21, 22:05
So the new Beastie Boys album is out. Has anyone picked it up yet?

Here is the iTunes US link (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=15069574). I bought the physical CD because it was selling for $9.99 at the record shop and as a promotion they gave me a $4 MetroCard so it only really cost me $6.

:D

I think it is not only one of the best Beasties album, but hip hop/rap albums in a long while. Rap has become so commercial that it's really good to hear something that has a unique sound and isn't all about bling bling, bitches, and Escalades. Now don't get me wrong, I like that style too, but it's so generic now, especialy with the rise of super producers like Timbaland, The Neptunes, and Dre. All the songs sound the same.

:no:

In a more personal note, An open letter to NYC (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=15069574&selectedItemId=15069541) includes a ton of references to my neighborhood and stomping grounds. I used to get lunch at Blimpies on Montague Street and buy sneakers at Fulton Street Mall. Hell I still go shopping at the Fulton Street Mall. But the Blimpies closed a long time ago. Also, Mike D went to my old High School for half a year, but was kicked out. Eventually he ended up at Stuyvesant with the rest.

:D

autodata
2004-06-21, 22:32
The girl got it before I had a chance to point out the DRM. Will be promptly returned to point of purchase.

But I'll get it from itunes.

Wrao
2004-06-21, 22:51
Very good album, my brother picked up hte vinyl the day it was released.

It's the best beastie boys since paul's boutique(which is one of my all time favorite albums)

HOM
2004-06-22, 08:59
The girl got it before I had a chance to point out the DRM. Will be promptly returned to point of purchase.

What DRM? I popped the CD in and iTunes ripped it without a problem.

:confused:

I will never buy an album from iTunes that is $15.

And one of my old teachers is named my name in one song.

:eek:

autodata
2004-06-22, 09:58
What DRM? I popped the CD in and iTunes ripped it without a problem.
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/20/0034203&mode=nested&tid=141&tid=158&tid=185&tid=188&tid=190&tid=201&tid=99

Supposedly it's not in the US and UK (http://boingboing.net/2004/06/11/new_beasties_disc_ha.html), but the back of the CD packaging currently sitting at my house (US) talks about how it will install DRM software if I put it in the drive of my Mac OS computer. If you are in the US, does yours say it as well?

thuh Freak
2004-06-22, 10:03
Eventually he ended up at Stuyvesant with the rest.
they went to stuy: the nerd (ie, test-required) school? kind of surprising.

Barto
2004-06-22, 10:48
This is Mac OS 9 (and probably earlier) only. Mac OS 9 has autoplay, Mac OS X doesn't and you should be thanking Apple's OS engineers for that right about now. ;)

If you use Windows you just need to turn autoplay off. Autoplay is just plain STUPID.

Barto

HOM
2004-06-22, 12:04
http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/06/20/0034203&mode=nested&tid=141&tid=158&tid=185&tid=188&tid=190&tid=201&tid=99

Supposedly it's not in the US and UK (http://boingboing.net/2004/06/11/new_beasties_disc_ha.html), but the back of the CD packaging currently sitting at my house (US) talks about how it will install DRM software if I put it in the drive of my Mac OS computer. If you are in the US, does yours say it as well?
I didn't really look at it. I threw the plastic away almost immediately. :\

I put the CD into my computer and it didn't prompt me for anything at all. No EULA, no Classic starting up, nothing but iTunes popping up and waiting to rip the CD. Like I said above it ripped with no problems. After reading up I looked into it a bit more. There is an 'Enhanced' area of the CD, but it mounts as a separate volume in the Finder. It includes what looks to be a Director movie for both Mac OS 9 and OSX. I poked around the folders after enabling hidden files and couldn't find anything. If it really installed some DRM software I would have been prompted because I'm running as a regular user and not an Admin, but even still an Admin user should be prompted if it's going to install system files, as would be required for DRM. Just to test, I copied all the AIFF files to the Finder and they went through just fine.

they went to stuy: the nerd (ie, test-required) school? kind of surprising.
Yeah, they all went to Stuy. And yes, it's a school that requires a test. I took the test, but only got into Bronx Sci.

thuh Freak
2004-06-22, 13:54
Yeah, they all went to Stuy. And yes, it's a school that requires a test. I took the test, but only got into Bronx Sci.
i only made bxsci too. ended up goin there.

applenut
2004-06-22, 16:09
brother goes to tech

stuy is nice....wish i had made it

InactionMan
2004-06-22, 19:31
Initially I didn't much care for this album but it's slowly growing on me. It doesn't have the hooks that Ill Communication or Hello Nasty had. It's a great album to listen to on my way to work. Though I think I am thoroughly sick of MCA. He is voice is just irritating.

I actually can't believe they've been around so long and they still don't suck. Pretty Impressive.

DMBand0026
2004-06-22, 20:51

To install anything on your machine it would need an admin password to authenticate the installer. It won't do it.

Back OT...I have not picked this one up yet, but I will soon. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

autodata
2004-06-23, 00:41
There is an 'Enhanced' area of the CD, but it mounts as a separate volume in the Finder.
Yup, and that's actually what it says on the back of the CD now that I have a chance to peek at it. Jumping to conclusion after skimming slashdot and CD info = not a good idea. :\

DMBand0026
2004-06-25, 11:18
Just picked up the CD and ripped it to iTunes with no trouble.

It rocks! These guys still rule. :D

HOM
2004-06-26, 18:01
The Boys (http://www.beastieboys.com/news.php) themselves respond to the DRM issue. Seems like word of mouth on 'protected' CDs could do some serious damage to sales and to an artist's reputation.

Either way, this is truly one kick ass album and everyone should pick it up.

Barto
2004-06-27, 00:42
Either way, this is truly one kick ass album and everyone should pick it up.

Except of course those people living outside the US and UK. Nobody is denying there is copy protection on albums outside the US and UK and buying copy protected CDs only provides incentive for crappy companies like EMI to continue producing copy protected CDs.

staph
2004-06-27, 01:08
Except of course those people living outside the US and UK. Nobody is denying there is copy protection on albums outside the US and UK and buying copy protected CDs only provides incentive for crappy companies like EMI to continue producing copy protected CDs.

Yeah, I thought it was particularly charming that they decided that the rest of the world would have to put up with the DRM whereas the US & UK wouldn't... how can they justify this? I mean really.

Good thing I don't particularly like anything on EMI. :)