PDA

View Full Version : It's the little things (UI complaints)

HOM
2004-05-16, 14:14
Ok, this has been bugging me for a while so I need to get it off my chest.

Why the hell are there different controls for window size in media players?

In QuickTime command+0 is half, but in DVD Player command+0 is full screen. Yet, full screen in QT is command+F. WMP command+1 is half size and command+4 is full screen. Real has no half size and full screen is command+3. And so on....

This is a Mac, shouldn't these all be the same? Does Apple have UI guidance on this? I doubt it seeing as QT and DVD Player are completely opposite.

curiousuburb
2004-05-16, 14:31
QT used to use "Present Movie (CMD-M)" and "Poster Frame (menu only)" background
(back in the day when movies were rarely larger than 640x480)

QT Pro further subdivided the UI standard, since plain-vanilla QT no longer offered true fullscreen, so it's possible the shortcuts were intentionally driven down separate streams for product differentiation reasons.

OS level shortcuts tend to remain active (CMD-M still minimizes windows),
though Panther's optional remapping might eventually allow more control.

As for WMP and Real and most other players... some use
CMD (or CTRL on PC) 1 =normal, 2 = double, 3 = full

some, as you've mentioned, mess with this sequence, but many of the keys are the same

not quite 'Standard' enough, I'd agree.

hyperb0le
2004-05-16, 14:58
That is kind of weird... Did you send feedback to Apple?

Apple really needs to get more communication going between its various programming groups. Certain aspects of UI consistency are being really screwed with.

EDIT: Woah. This was the 666th post on the forums :D

midwinter
2004-05-16, 22:16
Want to know what I hate? Open up a Safari window. Hit cmd-S to pull down a sheet. Any sheet will do. Hit cmd+L or cmd+T and watch Safari open up a new window rather than return an error.

HoTT RoDeR
2004-05-16, 22:58
I hate when Safari takes a dump with the beach ball for no reason and you loose the pages you were currently browsing by having to force quit. It happens like once every 1 or 2 weeks but its really annoying.

machem
2004-05-21, 00:00
My biggest gripe has gotta be the inconsistient tab-open/completion behavior in the finder. Sometimes typing the first few letters of a folder followed by <tab> descends into the folder, sometimes not.

Moogs
2004-05-21, 08:32
Apple has to figure out a way to improve the Column View's utility. Power-users can figure it out pretty well and be happy with it most times, and the new icon bar in Panther helps... but a lot of people look at CV and kind of shirk away from it because of how the columns scroll and are resized and all the rest.

And the fact that the Finder still has no real predictability when opening new windows after certain events (prior to closing the last window), doesn't help. I hope 10.4 is a major spit-and-polish release because feature-wise Panther is pretty slick really.

DMBand0026
2004-05-22, 03:06
I hate when Safari takes a dump with the beach ball for no reason and you loose the pages you were currently browsing by having to force quit. It happens like once every 1 or 2 weeks but its really annoying.

Although this has nothing to do with the thread...keep your caches clean (home/library/caches) and empty Safari's Cache (Safari Menu, "Empty Cache..."
That should help your Safari instability problem just a bit.

FFL
2004-05-22, 04:45
Apple has to figure out a way to improve the Column View's utility. Power-users can figure it out pretty well and be happy with it most times, and the new icon bar in Panther helps... but a lot of people look at CV and kind of shirk away from it because of how the columns scroll and are resized and all the rest. Column View (compared with the OS 9 Finder) is like adding a geeky shareware hack to your Finder - a certain percentage will find it incredibly cool and somewhat useful, but the vast majority will scratch their heads when you ask them if they like or use Column View.

VOX BARBARA
2004-05-22, 11:27
And the fact that the Finder still has no real predictability when opening new windows after certain events (prior to closing the last window), doesn't help.

Indeed, that drives me crazy sometimes too. For some reason ... er ... predictability of the finder window state get improved, if you have "get info" open and opt for "this window only". But is pretty lame to make sure on each window, that this option is checked.

I think "column view" is part of the problem. As much as i like that particular window state (i almost always have at least one window open in column view), column view is not strictly spatial and, though, behaves not strictly spatial. Just a point to start with ...

EDIT: Now, i have to ask myself, whether "column view" is a state within the finder window or a modus of the finder itself?

best