PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook or iBook, but neither looks great

autodata
2005-04-29, 16:41
I have a 1 GHz 1 GB RAM titanium, have used powerbooks for years and I really want a new machine. There's nothing wrong at all with the performance of this machine, but the fan is driving me nuts (apparently I'm hypersensitive to it, so say a couple friends).

As such, I made the decision a week or two ago to buy a new 1.67 GHz powerbook with 128 VRAM. However, I just can't convince myself that it's worth $2300 (edu discount). It's not a matter of what I can afford (I have far more cash to spend than that), it's that it just doesn't seem worth it.

It's not a huge boost in performance like my previous upgrades, such as my last jump from a 500 MHz 8 MB VRAM titanium. It already doesn't meet the minimum requirements for some apple software, which wasn't the case when I bought the titanium. In addition, the ibook is now due for an update (not that it will get it any time soon) that will bring it right up against the powerbooks, which further reinforces my view that they simply aren't worth the price.

Following this realization, I decided to get an ibook right after their coming upgrade (even though the 12" xvga screen is way too small for my taste) and wait for decent powerbooks, but now I don't think the ibooks are going to be updated for a while, regardless of how often they were updated in the past.

So now I'm debating what to do. The current powerbooks are great and seem to be good in terms of quality. This is a plus considering there almost certainly are going to be problems with a redesigned powerbook that will likely come out in the next year. However, I still can't justify the cost. If the ibooks were updated to a 64 MB graphics card tomorrow, I would buy one without a second thought.

Any thoughts?

Paul
2005-04-29, 17:56
too slow (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=6161)

autodata
2005-04-29, 18:17
too slow (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=6161)
Actually, I saw it, but he didn't note that applecare was included. Had he said that, I would have purchased it immediately. Oh well. Now it seems even less worth the price. I guess I should have asked. :(