PDA

View Full Version : Where do you live?

Windswept
2004-06-23, 03:19
Thought this might be interesting.

_Ω_
2004-06-23, 04:59
On a small island in the Southern Hemisphere :)

crazychester
2004-06-23, 05:06
Hee hee just clicked in another one for Oz which makes it look like there are as many of us as there are those goddamn Americans (however, temporarily).

South America didn't merit it's own category? :(

Windswept
2004-06-23, 05:26
Hee hee just clicked in another one for Oz which makes it look like there are as many of us as there are those goddamn Americans (however, temporarily).

South America didn't merit it's own category? :(
Well, I originally *had* Latin America in the list; but I could only have ten options.

I was going to eliminate Scandinavia in order to include Latin America (Mexico, Central, South America). But I didn't think we actually 'had' anyone from Latin America; whereas we 'do' have some Scandinavians (iirc).

I think I can still change it later if it becomes necessary. (Since *I'm* half Scandinavian, I kinda wanted to include that option. :p ) And we already have someone choosing 'other', so can't eliminate that. Could leave out Africa, I guess. Don't think we have anyone from there.

What I actually think is that this place is chock full of Canadians, and I sorta wanted to see just how many. :D

Windswept
2004-06-23, 05:30
On a small island in the Southern Hemisphere :)
You lucky dog! :)

crazychester
2004-06-23, 05:46
Well, I originally *had* Latin America in the list; but I could only have ten options.

I was going to eliminate Scandinavia in order to include Latin America (Mexico, Central, South America). But I didn't think we actually 'had' anyone from Latin America; whereas we 'do' have some Scandinavians (iirc).

I think I can still change it later if it becomes necessary. (Since *I'm* half Scandinavian, I kinda wanted to include that option. :p ) And we already have someone choosing 'other', so can't eliminate that. Could leave out Africa, I guess. Don't think we have anyone from there.

What I actually think is that this place is chock full of Canadians, and I sorta wanted to see just how many. :D

Goddamnit! You yanks are in the lead again. We've almost run out of resources. There's only four of us here that I can think of....me, Mac+, staph and Barto. Barto probably hasn't voted yet...

Yeah you're right now I think about it, the Canadians are a bit thick on the ground aren't they?

I was banking on the "Other" being some clown who was going to jump and claim to be from Alpha Centauri.

Windswept
2004-06-23, 05:53
I think LoCash is Canadian. :p

(I could be wrong though.)

_Ω_
2004-06-23, 06:16
You lucky dog! :)

Sometimes it is nice to insulated from the world. ;)

staph
2004-06-23, 06:19
Australia, land of the beer gut.

Barto
2004-06-23, 06:23
Barto probably hasn't voted yet

Mine was the fourth vote (flanking the yanks for 2 to 2 at the time), and I only have one... nevermind. :p

ZoranS used to post at .com (I actually met him in person a couple of times - Canberra seems to be disproportionately represented here), as did a few other Aussies who only had two digit post counts.

Barto

crazychester
2004-06-23, 06:40
Mine was the fourth vote (flanking the yanks for 2 to 2 at the time), and I only have one... nevermind. :p

ZoranS used to post at .com (I actually met him in person a couple of times - Canberra seems to be disproportionately represented here), as did a few other Aussies who only had two digit post counts.

Barto

Right Mac+ is the one letting the team down.

Barto, you go round him up.

Staph, you figure out a way to hack into the site so we can rig the poll.

I'll sit here in case any Kiwis show up and make cracks about sheep and underarm bowling until they cry and petition Carol for their own category.

les t misses out 'cause he had the temerity to change his name and no invite to the Cool Kid's Clubhouse for mero 'cause he never took back that goddamn copy-protected CD! :mad: :)

Yeah, the Canberra thing's a worry isn't it. I'm sweet I escaped (again) but I try not hold it against the rest of you. :p

Barto
2004-06-23, 06:48
Counting crazychester as "from canberra," people from Canberra are overrepresented here 26500% (using 6,375,000,000 as the world population and 320,000 as the Canberra population).

All you base are belong to us

Barto

LoCash
2004-06-23, 07:03
I'm hardly Canadian, thank you. I was born in Atlanta, GA... I just moved up to Boston for art school when I matriculated, and am looking to move out of here since it's becoming hard to continue to find enough work to maintain my apartment ($1500/mo). Maybe I'll move to Canada though... :smokey:

crazychester
2004-06-23, 07:15
Counting crazychester as "from canberra," people from Canberra are overrepresented here 26500% (using 6,375,000,000 as the world population and 320,000 as the Canberra population).

All you base are belong to us

Barto

Crap that's scary. I should be insulted but as I've continued to maintain a residence there, guess I can't get on my high horse about that one.

Mac+
2004-06-23, 07:57
Sorry team - been bus-i!
(... these forums are a great procrastination technique of mine sometimes, but recently I've had to focus on revision and essays! :rolleyes: )

Shit - 3 Canberra-ites! :wow: Have you three met face to face at all - or are you destined to remain nicknames on the "bastard child" of some Apple-gossip message board?

For those keeping score - I'm a Melbournian - that's uh... "Malbuhn" for all you "sepos". ;)

... AND (btw) I posted this in the "A deer hit my car" thread, but I think it died before anybody got a chance to listen. So, since this is getting some traffic - here 'tis again: The Moose (homepage.mac.com/ajsonego/listentothis/06 The Moose.m4a) - a Woody Allen classic! :D

Chinney
2004-06-23, 08:03
Must beat the Ozzies. Must beat the Ozzies. ;)

Wickers
2004-06-23, 09:20
I AM CANADIAN(tm)

Paul
2004-06-23, 09:49
Carol, you should have made this poll "open" so we could see who chooses what...

this way this thread could be used as a reference if anyone ever got confused about someone's nationality...

of course you being a mod probably have access to this anyway, but us peons like to see that info as well... :p

propellerhead
2004-06-23, 10:58
I currently live in Houston, TX.

I surf at Surfside Beach, a 1.5 hour drive south of my house.

I was born in TX but lived from 1996 to 2002 in Europe (4 years in Germany, 2 in England.)

This fall I will be relocating to Granville, OH to start college.

Now where am I going to surf in Ohio....? :lol: ;)

DMBand0026
2004-06-23, 12:19
I'm in good ol' Chicago, Illinois here. Midwest United States of America.

propellerhead
2004-06-23, 12:23
I'm in good ol' Chicago, Illinois here. Midwest United States of America.

I actually almost ended up going there.

I got into the University of Chicago and it was my first choice for college.

The only problem was cost. I didn't qualify for financial aid at all, so the $45k+ cost of going to the UofC was extremely prohibitive, especially since I have to foot the bill myself.

DMBand0026
2004-06-23, 12:47
Yes, I would imagine that that kind of cash would be a little too much. Student loans are killer. But a great school, I've got several friends who go there and they love it. Sorry you had to miss out. :(

propellerhead
2004-06-23, 12:56
Sorry you had to miss out. :(

Heh, there's always Grad school. ;)

Windswept
2004-06-23, 13:14
Sometimes it is nice to insulated from the world. ;)
Ah, an island. How sublime. Tucked blissfully away from the riff-raff, the rat race, the movement of 'rapid reaction forces'..... :)

thegelding
2004-06-23, 13:17
USA USA USA!!! yeah, we kick ass!!!

i got nothing else.....

must be my head cold acting up

g

Naderfan
2004-06-23, 13:18
Born and raised in Minnesota, temporarily residing in Wisconsin, a land where until recently cows outnumbered people.

Windswept
2004-06-23, 13:29
I'm hardly Canadian, thank you. I was born in Atlanta, GA... I just moved up to Boston for art school when I matriculated, and am looking to move out of here since it's becoming hard to continue to find enough work to maintain my apartment ($1500/mo). Maybe I'll move to Canada though... :smokey:
A south'rener...OMG! ;) Why, how you doin', corn pone, honeypot, ma li'l sweet potata pie? Ma li'l chickadee? Ma li'l chitlin'....? ( :lol: - sorry - couldn't resist!)

Actually, the reason I thought you might not be American, is that I think I remember you spelling things like 'realise'....or something along those lines. It wasn't actually the word 'realise', because Canadians use the 'z', right? It was some other tell-tale word. Hmm. Damn! Can't remember which word(s).

Windswept
2004-06-23, 13:48
Sorry team - been bus-i!
(... these forums are a great procrastination technique of mine sometimes, but recently I've had to focus on revision and essays! :rolleyes: )

Shit - 3 Canberra-ites! :wow: Have you three met face to face at all - or are you destined to remain nicknames on the "bastard child" of some Apple-gossip message board?

For those keeping score - I'm a Melbournian - that's uh... "Malbuhn" for all you "sepos". ;)

... AND (btw) I posted this in the "A deer hit my car" thread, but I think it died before anybody got a chance to listen. So, since this is getting some traffic - here 'tis again: The Moose (homepage.mac.com/ajsonego/listentothis/06 The Moose.m4a) - a Woody Allen classic! :D
"SEPOS"???? You call us 'sepos'????? Them's fightin' words, you scumbag, you pond slime, you cadaver-breathed schmuck!!! Did'ja feel THAT??? That was my glove smacking you across the chops, you...you......! Your choice of weapons, and we'll meet at dawn on a misty mountain top.

WHAT??? No misty mountain tops handy, eh? Well, I guess you just saved your treacherous hide then, you...you... snivelling, self-sucking, verminous... oh nevermind. ;)

(all in jest, Mac+) :D

Windswept
2004-06-23, 13:55
Carol, you should have made this poll "open" so we could see who chooses what...

this way this thread could be used as a reference if anyone ever got confused about someone's nationality...

of course you being a mod probably have access to this anyway, but us peons like to see that info as well... :p
Well, I thought about doing that, but some people seem to like to keep their whereabouts close to the vest, so I was afraid they might not respond at 'all' if they knew they'd be identified.

I plan to start another thread along those lines anyway - maybe later today; so 'no worries'. :)

DMBand0026
2004-06-23, 14:11
Well hurry up and do it already, some of us are starting to think!

And Lord knows we don't need that.

Luca
2004-06-23, 15:12
Carol, what the FUCK is going on in your head? Are you PMSing or something? Settle down! :lol:

Anyway, I am from Caspiar, a very small island in the Caspian Sea. It sank.

Not really, I'm from Minnesota. Born in Minneapolis, currently living with my parents in Stillwater, moving into a duplex in Minneapolis in a month or so.

Windswept
2004-06-23, 15:59
Carol, what the FUCK is going on in your head? Are you PMSing or something? Settle down! :lol:

Anyway, I am from Caspiar, a very small island in the Caspian Sea. It sank.

Not really, I'm from Minnesota. Born in Minneapolis, currently living with my parents in Stillwater, moving into a duplex in Minneapolis in a month or so.
:lol: hahahaha

Ah, dearest Luca. What the fuck is going on in my head, you ask. Well, that's a very good question. The thing is, I have *time* now....glorious TIME (at least, some of it). Time to fool around and be silly. And NO, I haven't been drinking or anything. And PMS generally makes me cry and/or get my feelings hurt at the drop of a hat. So it's not that.

I've never been to either Minnesota, Wisconsin, Vermont or New Hampshire, but I think I've been to all the other states. Btw, do you know anyone who owns a Scamp travel trailer? They're made in your state, I think, in some little town - the name of which escapes me. I'd like to get something like that and leave it parked up in the mtns. in my state, so I could sit under its awning and write books, with one of the world's most incredible views before my eyes.

Oh, btw, my parents met in a little town called Casper, Wyoming. I've never been there. At least, not since I was a zygote. :cool: :)

I shouldn't have mentioned drinking, because that hadn't even crossed my mind until now. But it sounds like a plan. :D A nice vodka tonic or three. :)

Has your mom given you any cooking lessons for when you're on your own? I think you and I talked about that a few months ago, didn't we? Or do you already know how to cook a lot of stuff?

InactionMan
2004-06-23, 17:20
Toronto, Canada AKA The Centre of the Universe!

Other Canadian cities I've called home: Ottawa, Halifax, Windsor.

Toronto Rocks. :D

crazychester
2004-06-23, 17:31
Sorry team - been bus-i!

bastardchild.org......I love it. It's perfect. That's the name I'm sticking with regardless of what the rest of you decide OK? Cool.

Fuck everything else Mac+ I just wanna win the poll. We are being slaughtered by those pesky Americans. Jeez even those freakin' Canadians are ahead of us. Oh the ignominy.

So what do you reckon it's gonna take to get a few of them to lie. Let's see, I've got $8.25. I can probably scrape together a couple more dollars if I look in the couch. How are you guys with the readies if it's going to take cold hard cash to pull this one off.

Deer HA! Let me tell you something. Driving from Broken Hill to Dubbo overnight is the dumbest thing you can do! Kangaroos EVERYWHERE. :eek: Huge, red, motherfucker kangaroos EVERYWHERE!

Moogs
2004-06-23, 18:29
Carol you forgot the option for "Drunken Hockey fans in teh US".

:)

alcimedes
2004-06-23, 18:33
Carol you forgot the option for "Drunken Hockey fans in teh US".

well, technically that makes you a Canadian, regardless of where you live. (i kind of edited carol's poll just a touch)

Moogs
2004-06-23, 19:06
Take off, hoser! I'm honorary Canadian? Woo hoooo!!

oldmacfan
2004-06-23, 19:32
Well, as for me I am from the most boring place, and I like it that way.

Mokena, Illinois, USA.

I won't even claim I am from Chicago, because I would never ever live there and I have spent the last 20 years hoping and praying not to have to work in the city.

For those that don't know, Mokena is about 35 miles southwest of downtown Chicago and about 10 miles east of Joliet. It is just starting to get over crowded by my standards, and with-in 10 years, I will be forced to move farther away so I can enjoy the quiet rural life that I am accustomed to.

I am just waiting for my broadband hookup on the farm and I am gone.

Wickers
2004-06-23, 20:20
Toronto, Canada AKA The Centre of the Universe!

Other Canadian cities I've called home: Ottawa, Halifax, Windsor.

Toronto Rocks. :D

You said it man! Toronto Kicks Ass!
:D

Zodiac
2004-06-23, 20:41
I am from CANADA.. eh.That's where I live eh. In Ontario eh.

Why do people(well, Americans) think that us Canadians say the language with some sort of "eh" thing at the end anyways?

edit: Also, why do you think that we are all drunken hockey fans. I don't like hockey or alcohol. And I don't use eh or yah or whatever you guys think either.

DMBand0026
2004-06-23, 20:50
]For those that don't know, Mokena is about 35 miles southwest of downtown Chicago and about 10 miles east of Joliet. It is just starting to get over crowded by my standards, and with-in 10 years, I will be forced to move farther away so I can enjoy the quiet rural life that I am accustomed to.

Dude, you've got a while before Mokena gets big...you're south of I-80 (AKA the end of the civilized world in Illinois. Great little town though, I've spent a little time down in those parts. My family owns a farm in Tonica, that's farther southwest of you, but you might be familiar with it.

_Ω_
2004-06-23, 20:51
why do you think that we are all drunken hockey fans?

Murbot

:lol:

DMBand0026
2004-06-23, 20:55
Murbot

Yeah, that dude pretty much ruined Canada for me too. ;)

That and \/\/ickes. :lol:

I kid, I kid cause I love. You guys are alright by me.

Zodiac
2004-06-23, 20:55
Murbot

Well, he's an exception. :lol:

oldmacfan
2004-06-23, 21:21
Dude, you've got a while before Mokena gets big...you're south of I-80 (AKA the end of the civilized world in Illinois. Great little town though, I've spent a little time down in those parts. My family owns a farm in Tonica, that's farther southwest of you, but you might be familiar with it.

I have lived in Frankfort/Mokena area since 1977, and it has gone from quiet little towns to the next big place for people with money to move too, now that is why my family moved out here from worth, so I shouldn't cmplain too much, but yeah, in about 10 years, It will be too much.

Also when I was a kid, my family had a house on a lake in Indiana (Lake Wawasee) we spent most weekends and school breaks out there and that was even more in the middle of no where, it still is except for June-August when the tourist flock in.

It used to be south of I 80 was the end of civilization in Illinois, but that has steadily moved south to Laraway rd.:lol:

PS: Where does your band normally play?

DMBand0026
2004-06-23, 21:27
You're right...civilization is threatening to move south, something that we've never seen here in Illinois.

My band is working on getting into a few shows, mostly out in the suburbs of Chicago. Wheaton, Aurora...places like that. We're not so big yet, but maybe someday.

InactionMan
2004-06-23, 22:05
I am from CANADA.. eh.That's where I live eh. In Ontario eh.

Why do people(well, Americans) think that us Canadians say the language with some sort of "eh" thing at the end anyways?

edit: Also, why do you think that we are all drunken hockey fans. I don't like hockey or alcohol. And I don't use eh or yah or whatever you guys think either.

No drinky!?! No Hockey!?! Then you no Canadian!!! Please tell me you at least refer to your couch as a chesterfield on occasion, eh? :p

And if something goes shitty for you, you say, "better than a kick in the head with a frozen muckluck." right??? Because if you sit on a chesterfield and say that, then even if you don't drink and worship Hockey you still might be considered Canadian. :)

Luca
2004-06-23, 23:57
:lol: hahahaha

<insert stream of consciousness here>

Is it caffeine? :eek: :lol:

BTW, my mom is planning on teaching me how to cook Thai Green Curry pretty soon. She keeps talking about how easy it is to make. I guess you just throw some sliced pork, vegetables, and curry sauce into a wok, add a little water and/or milk, and cook it over the stove for a while. Whatever it is you do, it certainly turns out pretty good! I love that stuff.

I am betting that 80% of my meals will involve either frozen vegetables, rice, ramen, hot dogs, or oatmeal. Hell, I'm counting on it. That stuff is cheap. If I can eat for a week on a $10 supply of food, I'm in good shape.

Windswept
2004-06-24, 13:04
Is it caffeine? :eek: :lol:

BTW, my mom is planning on teaching me how to cook Thai Green Curry pretty soon. She keeps talking about how easy it is to make. I guess you just throw some sliced pork, vegetables, and curry sauce into a wok, add a little water and/or milk, and cook it over the stove for a while. Whatever it is you do, it certainly turns out pretty good! I love that stuff.

I am betting that 80% of my meals will involve either frozen vegetables, rice, ramen, hot dogs, or oatmeal. Hell, I'm counting on it. That stuff is cheap. If I can eat for a week on a $10 supply of food, I'm in good shape.
You know what? You should get a large-sized crockpot and a good recipe book. That way, you could throw stuff in the crock in the morning, turn it on low for eight to ten hours, then come home at the end of the day to something really nutritious, and LOTS of it. You could save some for the next day, and freeze the rest in meal-size portions.

Because it's slow-cooked, the food retains ten times more vitamins than with other cooking methods. And you can use less-expensive cuts of meat that will still turn out really tender. :) Sound good at all?

I mean, if you had to do any chopping of stuff, you could chop the night before, put stuff in baggies, and in the a.m., just dump everything in the crockpot. OR...put the chopped stuff in the actual porcelain crock itself, and put IT in the fridge overnight - if you have room for such a large item. Then in the a.m., just put the crock on its electrical base, turn it on, and walk out the door! Stews would be delicious, Swiss steak, lots and lots of things. :D

But, Luca, if I were you, I'd start NOW learning to use the crockpot, while your mom's handy to give advice. Whaddaya think? :)

Moogs
2004-06-24, 13:15
You know what? You should get a large-sized crockpot and a good recipe book. That way, you could throw stuff in the crock in the morning, turn it on low for eight to ten hours, then come home at the end of the day to something really nutritious, and LOTS of it. You could save some for the next day, and freeze the rest in meal-size portions.

You're not kidding; we just started using a Crockpot this past winter and despite my meager expectations, there are some really awesome recipes you can make with one of those things. And as you mention, you can get at least two meals out of them (even the smaller ones which I think our version is).

DMBand0026
2004-06-24, 13:21
You're not kidding; we just started using a Crockpot this past winter and despite my meager expectations, there are some really awesome recipes you can make with one of those things. And as you mention, you can get at least two meals out of them (even the smaller ones which I think our version is).

And it has the added advantage, especially for college age kids living on their own, of not having to think about it at all beyond putting the stuff in it. Tell me the downside in that!

Windswept
2004-06-24, 13:28
Hi Moogs. Yeah, people almost always buy the ordinary-size crockpot, but I betcha that after a while, they're sorry they don't have the big one. To me, if I'm going to the trouble to chop stuff, and have a delicious dish at the end of cooking, I wanna have LOTS cooked. And crockpots can develop such rich flavors from the slow cooking. Mmm. Yumm. My dad made a crockpot beef roast once that was probably the best beef I have ever tasted in my life. He got the recipe out of a book, and never could remember which recipe it was - OR which book. :( That roast was just to *die* for.

Moogs
2004-06-24, 13:45
Ok that's it... I have to go make lunch now or I'm going to implode. This is making me hungry.

:cool:

Windswept
2004-06-24, 13:55
Ok that's it... I have to go make lunch now or I'm going to implode. This is making me hungry.

:cool:
Yeah, exactly the same here!! :) It's almost noon and I haven't eaten anything at *all* today; so these last few posts have made me start to salivate.

Moogs
2004-06-24, 14:13
Just finished up a grilled ham and provolone on wheat, ahhh.

_Ω_
2004-06-24, 17:52
Sorry to interrupt the cooking thread, but did you hear I live on an island :lol:

Windswept
2004-06-24, 18:15
WHAT?!! And you didn't make one for *me*???? :p

Windswept
2004-06-24, 18:17
Sorry to interrupt the cooking thread, but did you hear I live on an island :lol:

Would that be a tropical island, perchance? :)

Moogs
2004-06-24, 18:50
WHAT?!! And you didn't make one for *me*???? :p

Many apologies; no orders were sent in at the time of sandwich construction. If it's any consolation to you, Omega lives on an island.

:eek:

Windswept
2004-06-24, 18:57
Okay, now let me get this straight. Was that a
grilled ham and provolone on wheat ?

OR...a "grilled ham".....and provolone on wheat?

_Ω_
2004-06-24, 19:04
Not tropical.

Population: about 4 million

Windswept
2004-06-24, 19:13

Omega, I used to live on an island, too. An island in the Bering Sea.

You had to be cleared in advance before landing on that island.

The island had underground lakes. People (usually under the influence) sometimes would fall through holes in the tundra and wash up out in the bay (not alive).

It was a pretty cool place, actually. There was a live volcano just across the water (about a mile). When you flew over it, you could look inside and see molten lava way down below. :)

Population? Hmm. 2,000 maybe? Not really sure.

You could walk through our kitchen, through a door, and into my dad's seismological observatory. :) (well - it wasn't actually 'his', of course; property of Uncle Sam)

_Ω_
2004-06-24, 19:19
Mine is not quite as exciting though hobbits and elves roam the land.....

;)

_Ω_
2004-06-24, 19:21
It is also nice to be able to cycle 1 hour to reach the west coast, 10 mins to reach the east coast. Does make for some interesting weather though.

Windswept
2004-06-24, 19:24
Mine is not quite as exciting though hobbits and elves roam the land.....

;)
But that's *two* islands !!! I realize you can only live on one at a time, but still.... :)

God, you really *are* a lucky dog. I've wanted to go there for years. I even once applied for a job exchange program there. *sigh*

_Ω_
2004-06-24, 19:27
When I made my first post, where I lived was not an option. But to be lumped in with our poorer cousins across the ditch is insulting :p

....prepares for sheep jokes.....

Windswept
2004-06-24, 19:30
It is also nice to be able to cycle 1 hour to reach the west coast, 10 mins to reach the east coast. Does make for some interesting weather though.
Someone I knew from work said Tauranga was a cool place. Is that true? (Don't know if I spelled that correctly...)

God, I'm so jealous. Two coasts. Jeez. :p

Windswept
2004-06-24, 19:37
When I made my first post, where I lived was not an option. But to be lumped in with our poorer cousins across the ditch is insulting :p

Well, I really am sorry about that. You guys actually 'were' included from the beginning; but I had a struggle getting the poll to work, and had to type the entries in a second time. On the second go-round, I inadvertently left you guys off.

Wouldn't you know that practically the first person who responded would need the one entry that I left out. :(

_Ω_
2004-06-24, 19:37
Tauranga has its moments (your spelling was on the mark!) . People tend to drift to Auckland, and nearly every person from Tauranga ends up hating it because it does not have the same vibe (more beach culture in Tauranga).

It is actually a fallacy that where I live is clean and green. In fact we are some of the worst polluters in the world, we can just hide it better because of our land to population ratio. :no:

When you go to places that has little interaction with man, then you see the postcard pictures we advertise, which is what we should be trying to achieve everywhere.

EDS66
2004-06-24, 19:40
Rosslyn VA, across the street from the Iwogima memorial.

Barto
2004-06-24, 20:28

An Australian farmer is driving around New Zealand. He sees a Kiwi farmer hugging a sheep. The Australian stops his car, gets out and yells to the Kiwi, "In Australia we shear our sheep!"

The Kiwi yells back, "I'm not shearing this sheep with anyone!"

- Barto

DMBand0026
2004-06-24, 20:44
An Australian farmer is driving around New Zealand. He sees a Kiwi farmer hugging a sheep. The Australian stops his car, gets out and yells to the Kiwi, "In Australia we shear our sheep!"

The Kiwi yells back, "I'm not shearing this sheep with anyone!"

- Barto

:lol: :lol:

Gross dude... :lol:

Moogs
2004-06-24, 21:47
Omega, I used to live on an island, too. An island in the Bering Sea.

You had to be cleared in advance before landing on that island.

The island had underground lakes. People (usually under the influence) sometimes would fall through holes in the tundra and wash up out in the bay (not alive).

It was a pretty cool place, actually. There was a live volcano just across the water (about a mile). When you flew over it, you could look inside and see molten lava way down below. :)

Population? Hmm. 2,000 maybe? Not really sure.

You could walk through our kitchen, through a door, and into my dad's seismological observatory. :) (well - it wasn't actually 'his', of course; property of Uncle Sam)

Why do I get the sense that Carol is filled with good beer drinking stories? When Murbot gets back we're all going to have to fly to Alberta and drink some Molson. Murbot knows all about tundra I bet.

crazychester
2004-06-24, 22:08
[Aside: Shut up Barto. Change of plan. We're getting crushed here. We need all the help we can get. Time to start pretending they're our friends again.]

So, the spirit of ANZAC. Oh what a grand thing. Some of our dads and granddads were cannonfodder...ooops, I mean....fought in the war together. The ties that bind can never be broken!

And Trevor Chappell should hang his head in shame. Greg too.

That should do it.

[Good joke tho' Barto.]

BTW, I assume that 4 million population means people Omega. What's the humans to sheep ratio like these days? :p Or have you all been overrun by hobbits.

Windswept
2004-06-24, 22:14
Why do I get the sense that Carol is filled with good beer drinking stories? When Murbot gets back we're all going to have to fly to Alberta and drink some Molson. Murbot knows all about tundra I bet.

Hey Moogs, I don't think there's any tundra in Medicine Hat. :D

I might have a good story or two up my sleeve. Though after enough beer, I imagine 'anything' would sound pretty good, eh? :lol:

Btw, we had an earthquake alarm in the hallway between the bedrooms (on that island). One night it went off 24 times from quakes in the local area. My bed was literally shaking like crazy (no snide remarks, please :p ) from some of the quakes. Kinda scary, actually. :wow:

Beer sounds *really* good right about now. An intensely cold Corona with a twist of lime. Mmm. Molson's good too, of course. Have you ever tried Alaskan Gold, brewed in Juneau?

EDS66
2004-06-24, 23:35
Hey Moogs, I don't think there's any tundra in Medicine Hat. :D

I might have a good story or two up my sleeve. Though after enough beer, I imagine 'anything' would sound pretty good, eh? :lol:

Btw, we had an earthquake alarm in the hallway between the bedrooms (on that island). One night it went off 24 times from quakes in the local area. My bed was literally shaking like crazy (no snide remarks, please :p ) from some of the quakes. Kinda scary, actually. :wow:

Beer sounds *really* good right about now. An intensely cold Corona with a twist of lime. Mmm. Molson's good too, of course. Have you ever tried Alaskan Gold, brewed in Juneau?
I've been to Alaska a few times. Anchorage primarily, with stints to Faibanks and Juneau.

Loved their beer. Remember getting stuck in the snow in Fairbanks in November....Ate Alligator tails (fried) -- believe it or not -- and washed that shit down with some Alaskan amber.

Juneau is cool. Not an island, but landlocked. Nice airport. Scary approach.

Windswept
2004-06-24, 23:59
Hey Chester, I got in there and moved Omega's vote up with you guys.

I hadn't noticed that I could actually get in there and fiddle with the numbers. :D

crazychester
2004-06-25, 00:14

I hadn't noticed that I could actually get in there and fiddle with the numbers. :D

Who thinks Carol is the best mod of any internet forum on the planet?

Chester thrusts arm in the air.

Hey Barto says he's got a cool 10 grand lying around that he'll pay to anyone who can rig the poll so Australia (and NZ grumble, grumble) win! ;) Plus I'll throw in my $8.25 and change!

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 01:33

Funny thing is that Latin America is italisised (sp??) for me - even though is has no votes.
:confused:

2002 Sheep Populations:

Oz = 113 000 000
NZ = 43 141 900

:err:

Mac+
2004-06-25, 05:24
"SEPOS"???? You call us 'sepos'????? Them's fightin' words, you scumbag, you pond slime, you cadaver-breathed schmuck!!! Did'ja feel THAT??? That was my glove smacking you across the chops, you...you......! Your choice of weapons, and we'll meet at dawn on a misty mountain top.

WHAT??? No misty mountain tops handy, eh? Well, I guess you just saved your treacherous hide then, you...you... snivelling, self-sucking, verminous... oh nevermind. ;)

(all in jest, Mac+) :DHa ha :lol: no offense taken... I'm surprised you knew what I was referring to - where did you hear that rhyming slang?

LoCash
2004-06-25, 05:36
A south'rener...OMG! ;) Why, how you doin', corn pone, honeypot, ma li'l sweet potata pie? Ma li'l chickadee? Ma li'l chitlin'....? ( :lol: - sorry - couldn't resist!)

Actually, the reason I thought you might not be American, is that I think I remember you spelling things like 'realise'....or something along those lines. It wasn't actually the word 'realise', because Canadians use the 'z', right? It was some other tell-tale word. Hmm. Damn! Can't remember which word(s).

Yes, it was probably the spelling of words such as "colour" or "behaviour". There's a funny story behind that actually...

In seventh grade in my Algebra class, we had to write a paper on some mathematician. Well, I was not terribly interested in the assignment, so I decided I would plagiarise my paper. It did not really slip my mind to think that my professor might notice the UK English in it.

She did.

She also could not prove that I plagiarised the paper, but she said that God save me should I ever slip up and not spell words that way, because she would have my ass. So for the rest of my time in Junior High and High School I was so terrified that I convinced myself that if I ever did slip up, she would find out. It kind of became a habit now ;)

Windswept
2004-06-25, 07:32
I've been to Alaska a few times. Anchorage primarily, with stints to Faibanks and Juneau.

Loved their beer. Remember getting stuck in the snow in Fairbanks in November....Ate Alligator tails (fried) -- believe it or not -- and washed that shit down with some Alaskan amber.

Juneau is cool. Not an island, but landlocked. Nice airport. Scary approach.
Yeah, Juneau is definitely cool. Hard to believe there's a state capital that you can't get to by car! Five or six years ago, I took a two-week ferry trip up the Inside Passage and back. Left from Bellingham, Washington, and stopped off along the way at various towns for a few days at each: Ketchikan, Juneau, Haines, Skagway, Wrangell, and Sitka.

Stayed in youth hostels, B&B's, gold rush era hotels. On the ferry, slept outdoors in a sleeping bag on the deck under a sort of carport roof, because the few cabins available were booked seven months in advance. No one got a cabin. People slept everywhere, mostly in lounge chairs. But the deck was covered with people in sleeping bags, literally cheek by jowl. I *love* Alaska. Great people there; great times. Yummy beer! :)

Windswept
2004-06-25, 07:55
Funny thing is that Latin America is italisised (sp??) for me - even though is has no votes.
:confused:

2002 Sheep Populations:

Oz = 113 000 000
NZ = 43 141 900

Okay, Omega, I took a look at the poll again, and as far as I can tell, your vote is actually being counted in its new location. I moved 'other' down and LA up. I think the italicization just means that *you* have already voted 'somewhere' in that poll, and that the board poll set-up won't let you vote again. All the numbers are in the right spots, and the percentages tally accurately; so I wouldn't worry about the italics, okay? :) I mean, Latin America hasn't actually been credited with any votes, despite the italicization you're seeing. Right?

crazychester
2004-06-25, 08:48
2002 Sheep Populations:

Oz = 113 000 000
NZ = 43 141 900

Human Populations:

Oz = 20 000 000
NZ = 4 000 000

Number of sheep per head of population:

Oz = 5.65
NZ = 10.785475

:smokey:

staph
2004-06-25, 08:57
Who thinks Carol is the best mod of any internet forum on the planet?

Chester thrusts arm in the air.

Hey Barto says he's got a cool 10 grand lying around that he'll pay to anyone who can rig the poll so Australia (and NZ grumble, grumble) win! ;) Plus I'll throw in my $8.25 and change!

Unfortunately, I am broke as usual, so all I can offer is my sexual services.

So, any takers? You'll need to pay for the plane ticket, of course.

crazychester
2004-06-25, 09:24
Unfortunately, I am broke as usual, so all I can offer is my sexual services.

So, any takers? You'll need to pay for the plane ticket, of course.

Why thank you staph for your very generous contribution. Mac+ is obviously a real tight arse.

OK. So we Australians (and the hanger-on) have $10,008.25 and a bit and staph's body (less his air fare) to offer to any enterprising person with the magic powers to skew the results in our favour. Not looking at anybody in particular, Carol.

[Get the cheque book ready Barto. I think we're onto a winner here.]

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 09:28
I notice the people from the UK are representing. :no:

Not from Oz..... :p

Moogs
2004-06-25, 09:40
Hey Moogs, I don't think there's any tundra in Medicine Hat.

Yes but you don't have to travel very far north to find some, I imagine. A day's car ride maybe. :)

Are you trying to take advantage of us before we even start drinking? Shame! Yes, beer does have the effect of enhancing story quality, generally speaking. Although sometimes it will cause a person to laugh almost continuously at everything that is said, to the point where it becomes difficult for everyone else to comprehend the story. Moderation is the key during story telling time... you get plastered after all the stories are done.

Yep, I spent some time in Japan and encountered a few slamming earthquake doors (because they are basically solid steel, they are louder than hell and thus tend to scare the crap out of you when they hit their doorframes).

Earthquakes - even small ones - suck, IMHO. Definitely not a pleasant feeling because it's like you suddenly have no control over anything, including your own movements. In a fire or tornado or whatever, you can at least run for cover. If you're not already under proper cover when an earthquake hits, you're screwed.

Nope. However, Molson Canadian is pretty damn good when you get a fresh batch. My favorite is a six pack of Molson, along with some home made chili-cheese bratwurst sandwiches on sourdough... right as the ref drops the puck for a do-or-die playoff game. Nice....

Windswept
2004-06-25, 13:41
Ha ha :lol: no offense taken... I'm surprised you knew what I was referring to - where did you hear that rhyming slang?
A friend who lives in London used the term once in an email. I imagine he told me the rhyme as well, but I can't remember it...probably because I was so outraged at the time. If you could PM me the rhyme, I would appreciate it. (My renewed outrage will be only temporary, and not directed at 'you'. Okay? :D )

Windswept
2004-06-25, 14:13
Yes, it was probably the spelling of words such as "colour" or "behaviour". There's a funny story behind that actually...

In seventh grade in my Algebra class, we had to write a paper on some mathematician. Well, I was not terribly interested in the assignment, so I decided I would plagiarise my paper. It did not really slip my mind to think that my professor might notice the UK English in it.

She did.

She also could not prove that I plagiarised the paper, but she said that God save me should I ever slip up and not spell words that way, because she would have my ass. So for the rest of my time in Junior High and High School I was so terrified that I convinced myself that if I ever did slip up, she would find out. It kind of became a habit now ;)
Well, AS a seventh grade teacher :p , I have to say that yours is truly a classic and wonderful tale. :lol: I love it, I really do. :D hahaha

I think your long-lasting terror and paranoia about being 'caught' are punishment enough, don't you think? heh. :)

Teachers have to do some fancy foot-work to keep one step ahead of their students. I'm sure I have caught everyone who 'ever' tried to forge a parent signature, for example; and UK spelling in a writing assignment would be like a neon sign, a dead give-away (at least, to 'me'). :) But your years of labor to remain undetected provoke my unabashed admiration and cheerful laughter. :D

Ever thought of a side-career with the CIA? You'd be GREAT!!!! ;)

Windswept
2004-06-25, 14:43
Why thank you staph for your very generous contribution. Mac+ is obviously a real tight arse.

OK. So we Australians (and the hanger-on) have $10,008.25 and a bit and staph's body (less his air fare) to offer to any enterprising person with the magic powers to skew the results in our favour. Not looking at anybody in particular, Carol.

[Get the cheque book ready Barto. I think we're onto a winner here.]
Jumpin' Jehosophat!!!! Last night, before your (above) generous offer, I had been thinking about tacking onto your entry an additional 40 votes! ...just for fun :D ...to give you guys a few cheap thrills for 12 hours or so. :) But then I thought better of it. Some people take things pretty seriously on this board :( ...and might view my fiddling with the poll results, even in jest, with a jaundiced eye (I love that phrase :D ).

IF LoCash says I can, I'll give you those 40 votes for overnight jollies. It would be a fleeting thrill, I'm afraid. But fraud and corruption do have their limits. Oh, and I'll 'pass' wrt the $10,000; BUT Staph's offer sounds promising. hahaha ;) (Just kidding...my mod powers are NOT for sale: but he does sound like a fun sorta guy. Let's see...he would be my "love slave" for HOW many days????? :) )

crazychester
2004-06-25, 15:46
IF LoCash says I can, I'll give you those 40 votes for overnight jollies.

Oh well so much for that plan. Ain't gonna happen. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that *he'll* get his jollies off ensuring it doesn't.

Mac+
2004-06-26, 04:49
chester maaate - I did try to post a reply to you on AI.org last night (after the first message I replied to Carol) but the dial up bumped me off... so I went to reload it this morning and lo and behold we're now AppleNova - not quite bastardchild.com - but then again, you gets what ya pay for. :rolleyes:

Now, as to my being a "tight arse" - well, yes my wife has complimented me on my tidy back end. ;) But, in the sense that you're alluding to I take offense - I don't like being referred to as a hanger-on! I'll happily donate my last tax return which was a beauty (finally being a muso pays off!) to the fund - chalk up another $3K odd.

However, I'd also like to contribute a year of free music lessons - maybe this will sweeten the deal. Perhaps you could offer tap classes? :err:

... tappa tappa tappa

actually, I don't know whether you actually teach tap dancing, but I loved that instruction on how to tap which Lisa received from her dance teacher during one episode of The Simpsons... ahhh, it all makes sense now! :lol:

staph
2004-06-26, 05:23
… BUT Staph's offer sounds promising. hahaha ;) (Just kidding...my mod powers are NOT for sale:

Don't think of it as a sale, think of it as an agreement between friends…

but he does sound like a fun sorta guy. Let's see...he would be my "love slave" for HOW many days????? :) )

Well, I definitely need to be back in town by the last week of July, for the start of Semester 2. Otherwise, I'm open to negotiation. :p

I guess I'll just have to lie back and think of Australia… :lol:

LoCash
2004-06-26, 07:03
Holy shit, where am I. I'm looking for the screen with the talking milkshake and fries. acimedes, hekp!

Powerdoc
2004-06-26, 13:30
Strange Carol, that you do not consider that scandinavia belongs to Europe.
Needless to say that I come from France. I never visit scandinavia, but one day I will, and I expect I will enjoy the midnight sun. :)

Windswept
2004-06-26, 13:34
Strange Carol, that you do not consider that scandinavia belongs to Europe.
Needless to say that I come from France. I never visit scandinavia, but one day I will, and I expect I will enjoy the midnight sun. :)
I was wondering how long it would take before I got that comment.

As I mentioned above, I wanted Scandinavia separate, because I am half Scandinavian, and wanted to see how many members were from there specifically.

Yes, Powerdoc; I *do*, of course, consider Scandinavia part of Europe. *sigh*

Luca
2004-06-26, 13:40
Scandanavia and Europe separate... may as well also have US: East Coast, US: West Coast, US: Midwest, and US: Texas as options as well.

Windswept
2004-06-26, 13:52
Scandanavia and Europe separate... may as well also have US: East Coast, US: West Coast, US: Midwest, and US: Texas as options as well.
No problem. I'll change it. :rolleyes:

Windswept
2004-06-26, 16:50
Don't think of it as a sale, think of it as an agreement between friends…
Sounds like a plan. :)

Well, I definitely need to be back in town by the last week of July, for the start of Semester 2. Otherwise, I'm open to negotiation. :p
OMG...a love slave for three weeks. The thought is dizzying. :lol:

I guess I'll just have to lie back and think of Australia… :lol:
Hate to tell ya, sweetie, but if you're *my* love slave, ya ain't gonna be doin' too much "lying back"!!!!! :lol: hahaha And I really don't think Australia would *ever* cross your mind; because even with a slave, I think it should always be at least a 50-50 proposition. I mean, to me that's a *huge* part of the fun. :D

Luca
2004-06-26, 16:53
LOL, Deleted instead of Scandanavia? Carol, you crack me up. :lol:

"Digga. Digga. Digga digga digga digga deleeeeeeeetedddddddd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~resc0030/deleted.bmp

EDIT: Better picture :) Unfortunately I'm on a very limited Windows machine, so I'm limited to BMP format... :(

Zodiac
2004-06-26, 17:25
No drinky!?! No Hockey!?! Then you no Canadian!!! Please tell me you at least refer to your couch as a chesterfield on occasion, eh? :p

And if something goes shitty for you, you say, "better than a kick in the head with a frozen muckluck." right??? Because if you sit on a chesterfield and say that, then even if you don't drink and worship Hockey you still might be considered Canadian. :)

You know, about 80% of my family lives in florida. But do I get to live there? NO! I found out when I read that post, I don't even know what the hell a muckluck is. I don't even like being canadian to tell you the truth. :wow:

InactionMan
2004-06-26, 19:07
I don't even like being canadian to tell you the truth. :wow:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: How can you not like being Canadian. What 's to dislike? :eek:

Oh, and I'm sure most Canadians don't know what a muckluck is. I'm not even sure I do. :lol:

oldmacfan
2004-06-26, 22:21
muckluck ... This will define it nicely (http://www.muckluck.net/)

Luca
2004-06-26, 22:28
Um... oldmacfan, wtf? Muckluck just means a boot made of animal skin.

billybobsky
2004-06-26, 22:28
Holy shit, where am I. I'm looking for the screen with the talking milkshake and fries. acimedes, hekp!

I believe you are on adult swim... what's up with the talking meatball?

windowsblowsass
2004-06-26, 22:33
I believe you are on adult swim... what's up with the talking meatball?
you mean meatwad?

_Ω_
2004-06-26, 23:05
Hunger Teen Aqua Force (http://adultswim.toonzone.net/aqua.html)

windowsblowsass
2004-06-26, 23:12
Hunger Teen Aqua Force (http://adultswim.toonzone.net/aqua.html)

no no no, its aqua teen hunger force not hunger teen aqua force :lol:

_Ω_
2004-06-26, 23:21
I was close - have only seen it once :)

And really the name is already so fcuked up, what's the difference? :lol:

staph
2004-06-27, 00:39
Hate to tell ya, sweetie, but if you're *my* love slave, ya ain't gonna be doin' too much "lying back"!!!!! :lol: hahaha And I really don't think Australia would *ever* cross your mind; because even with a slave, I think it should always be at least a 50-50 proposition. I mean, to me that's a *huge* part of the fun. :D

It was a figure of speech. :P

Mind you, going down on people for hours doesn't take a great deal of physical effort (except for the strain to one's jaw, ow).

crazychester
2004-06-27, 20:38
I don't like being referred to as a hanger-on!....chalk up another $3K odd.[/i]

Not you dummy, the Kiwi. What do you take me for? I wouldn't make disparaging comments about a fellow Australian. That's why god gave us New Zealanders. :)

Carol add another 3 grand to the kitty less the air fares required for music and tap dancing lessons.

Little Miss Vicky or something wasn't it. Hmm. Scary.

Kickaha
2004-06-27, 21:38
It was a figure of speech. :P

Mind you, going down on people for hours doesn't take a great deal of physical effort (except for the strain to one's jaw, ow).

Which is why it's handy to have a double-hinged one. ;)

_Ω_
2004-06-27, 21:47
That's why god gave us New Zealanders. :)

:p

Windswept
2004-06-28, 11:42
Which is why it's handy to have a double-hinged one. ;)Well, Kicks, your assets and talents never cease to amaze me! :D

oldmacfan
2004-06-28, 16:25

Really, I would like to say that trying to hold on for dear life during sessions of wild thrashing about by pleasured woman can take a grat deal of physical effort. :D

Windswept
2004-06-28, 16:40
Really, I would like to say that trying to hold on for dear life during sessions of wild thrashing about by pleasured woman can take a grat deal of physical effort. :D
Hi oldmacfan. Was that wife #1, #2, or #3 ???? :lol:

crazychester
2004-06-28, 17:47
Which is why it's handy to have a double-hinged one. ;)

What? Like snakes have?

oldmacfan
2004-06-28, 17:52
Hi oldmacfan. Was that wife #1, #2, or #3 ???? :lol:

#1, #2, and #3 + most of the also rans... :lol:

psgamer0921
2004-06-28, 18:54
Greensboro, NC

Windswept
2004-06-30, 00:05
I hope our new European members will vote in this poll.

Ã¥sen
2004-06-30, 08:29
I hope our new European members will vote in this poll.

I would if you un-deleted Scandinavia. ;)

I try not to call myself 'European'.

Luca
2004-06-30, 09:10
I took the liberty of changing the poll slightly for you ;) I hope Carol doesn't mind.

Moogs
2004-06-30, 09:33
Most heavily edited poll 3V@R!¡¡1onewon

staph
2004-06-30, 09:49

It needs another too — Scandinavia is misspelt! ;)

Windswept
2004-06-30, 10:07
Bloody hell !!! Every time I look at MY ( :rolleyes: ) poll, someone's been fiddling around in it!!! :lol:

Note: Luca was the one who put Scandinavia back in, not I. :p

So, those who objected when I had Scandinavia there originally, please take your complaints to Luca. (Carol washes her hands of the matter. hahaha :D )

EDIT: Damn!!! It just occurred to me that YOU, LUCA, were one of the ones complaining that Scandinavia was there in the first place!!! :p :p :p :lol:

Kickaha
2004-06-30, 15:33
Bloody hell !!! Every time I look at MY ( :rolleyes: ) poll, someone's been fiddling around in it!!! :lol:

Note: Luca was the one who put Scandinavia back in, not I. :p

So, those who objected when I had Scandinavia there originally, please take your complaints to Luca. (Carol washes her hands of the matter. hahaha :D )

EDIT: Damn!!! It just occurred to me that YOU, LUCA, were one of the ones complaining that Scandinavia was there in the first place!!! :p :p :p :lol:

Call him a strumpet.

Windswept
2004-06-30, 15:47
Call him a strumpet.

Naw. He's my knight in shining armor, having defended me so chivalrously from a fire-breathing dragon. Sigh. (shyly blushes and bats eyelashes)

(Thanks, Luca ;) ) heh

Alex London
2004-07-02, 07:24
Due to the TS merger I've decided to stop lurking and register here. What massive issue has caused my first post? " Gee buddy, where are you from? " Anyway, it's very nice to see you all here, and there, greetings from an Englishman to all.

Ã¥sen
2004-07-02, 13:30
I took the liberty of changing the poll slightly for you ;) I hope Carol doesn't mind.
Thanks, you gotta have a category for places where this (http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article821255.ece) happens.

"He'll try his luck with horses or whatever".

;)

Luca
2004-07-02, 13:43
I made another oh-so-subtle change. Hope no one minds again!

:lol: I figured with the amount of editing and silliness going on, I may as well turn things around a little more!

Windswept
2004-07-02, 13:57
Due to the TS merger I've decided to stop lurking and register here. What massive issue has caused my first post? " Gee buddy, where are you from? " Anyway, it's very nice to see you all here, and there, greetings from an Englishman to all.
Hi Alex! It's SO nice to have you here. :)

Windswept
2004-07-02, 14:01
"He'll try his luck with horses or whatever".

;)
Now that's a pig with self-esteem! hahaha :lol:

Windswept
2004-07-02, 14:11
I made another oh-so-subtle change. Hope no one minds again!

:lol: I figured with the amount of editing and silliness going on, I may as well turn things around a little more!
Oh, Luca. You're SUCH a bad boy. You really *do* need a spanking! :p ;)

Luca
2004-07-02, 14:23
Oh, Luca. You're SUCH a bad boy. You really *do* need a spanking! :p ;)
I'm cool with that if you are. :devil:

So, think we should maybe take this to the private, much-coveted, insanely fun mod forum? :lol:

Windswept
2004-07-02, 15:56
I'm cool with that if you are. :devil:

So, think we should maybe take this to the private, much-coveted, insanely fun mod forum? :lol:
What?! You don't like your spankings in public??? :D

Kickaha
2004-07-02, 16:12
Hell yeah! Give us all a show! :D

silas_pc
2004-07-02, 23:39
WOO HOO!

Another Melbournite!!! I come from Melbourne. What part of Melbourne are you in? Are you a member of AUSOM or whatever?

I'm in Elwood BTW. ;)

Sorry team - been bus-i!

... AND (btw) I posted this in the "A deer hit my car" thread, but I think it died before anybody got a chance to listen. So, since this is getting some traffic - here 'tis again: The Moose (homepage.mac.com/ajsonego/listentothis/06 The Moose.m4a) - a Woody Allen classic! :D ;) ;)

_Ω_
2004-07-03, 10:25
Melbourne is easily the nicest city in the land of Oz. Why anyone would choose to live in Canberra is beyond me! :lol:

Alex London
2004-07-06, 12:04
Thanks Carol, for your welcoming words and for being so nice in general.

Windswept
2004-07-06, 12:15
Thanks Carol, for your welcoming words and for being so nice in general. Thank you ! It's always a pleasure to welcome a good person such as yourself.

(Plus, I'm a major Anglophile. :D )

Windswept
2004-08-19, 22:01
Thought I'd bump this to the top once more, because we've acquired a couple hundred new members since the last post in this thread.

scratt
2004-08-19, 22:06
Hooray!!

I got to click Asia first!!!! :)

Luca
2004-08-19, 22:10
Man. Looking back, this is the most f*cked up poll ever.

Messiahtosh
2004-08-19, 22:35
State College, PA. (Happy Valley)

Sadly enough, PA has received an F on the state obesity report card. I knew there was something different about the girls in my high school compared to my cousin's town in Arkansas. :p

http://www.ubalt.edu/experts/obesity/map.html

usurp
2004-08-20, 01:08
so i am the only person from the Middle East. cool i guess.

Kickaha
2004-08-20, 01:34
State College, PA. (Happy Valley)

Sadly enough, PA has received an F on the state obesity report card. I knew there was something different about the girls in my high school compared to my cousin's town in Arkansas. :p

http://www.ubalt.edu/experts/obesity/map.html

Quick lesson in reading report data:

1) That map is for "States efforts to *CONTROL* obesity", *NOT* 'Level of Obesity'.

2) If you go to the link at the bottom of the page, you'll find on the next page text that shows that while AR has the 15th highest obesity rate in the nation among children, PA is 16th. Lower obesity rate, although not by much.

Of course, the fact that all 50 states are shown graded on the map, but in the bar chart on page 2, Colorado is listed as the lowest incidence at **39th**... hmmm... Ah. Some states are tied. AR and SC for instance are both at 15th.

Windswept
2004-08-20, 13:34
I would if you un-deleted Scandinavia. ;)

I try not to call myself 'European'.
Hi, asen. Can you tell us 'why' you feel that way, or is that too personal a question? :)

Just wondering.

Paul
2004-08-20, 16:51
Any chance that one of the mods (admins?) could "unlock" this poll so as to make it useful and actually see where people are from?

Daver
2004-08-21, 00:56
Canada here... North Bay, Ontario. August 21 and already the thermometer is dropping to 5° C. I hate this city. :lol:

Feels nice to rejoin the AppleIns —erm, AppleNova community.

Mac+
2004-08-23, 06:10
WOO HOO!

Another Melbournite!!! I come from Melbourne. What part of Melbourne are you in? Are you a member of AUSOM or whatever?

I'm in Elwood BTW. ;)

;) ;)Gee - sorry I missed this silas_pc - if you are still here (or maybe lurking) I just sent you a PM. :)

Mac+
2004-08-23, 06:11
Melbourne is easily the nicest city in the land of Oz. Why anyone would choose to live in Canberra is beyond me! :lol:So true (with no disrespect to my fellow Canberra-ites) ... I love Melbourne! :)

Barto
2004-08-23, 07:59
Wash your mouth out Mac+!

Who wouldn't want to live in our great capital of endless suburbia, nothing open after 4 o'clock, two industries (politicians and porn)... and... um... I'm sure I'll think of some more good points soon.

Mac+
2004-08-23, 08:05
actually those concentric circle streets are a big drawcard! ;)

staph
2004-08-23, 09:39
Wash your mouth out Mac+!

Who wouldn't want to live in our great capital of endless suburbia, nothing open after 4 o'clock, two industries (politicians and porn)... and... um... I'm sure I'll think of some more good points soon.

You forgot forestry and heroin.

Barto
2004-08-23, 09:50
Thank you for reminding me. Crystal meth production and fireworks smuggling too.

Koodari
2004-08-23, 18:31
Arrrr!

'tis a foul thing to do, putting "Scandinavia" in the poll and particularly putting it under Europe, so it's impossible to notice before clicking on "Europe" and voting.

Not that it's especially important to me to be from Scandinavia, but the poll could have said "Rest of Europe" instead of "Europe".

Windswept
2004-08-23, 19:00
Arrrr!

'tis a foul thing to do, putting "Scandinavia" in the poll and particularly putting it under Europe, so it's impossible to notice before clicking on "Europe" and voting.

Not that it's especially important to me to be from Scandinavia, but the poll could have said "Rest of Europe" instead of "Europe".
No worries, Koodari. I can move your vote from Europe to Scandinavia, and will do that right now. :D Okay?

I'm half Finnish, by the way. :)

Paul
2004-08-24, 18:12
having a bit of trouble adding there Carol? ;)
3+8+4=15 not 14
I bet you forgot to remove Koodari's original vote from Europe.
also, any thoughts on this:
Any chance that one of the mods (admins?) could "unlock" this poll so as to make it useful and actually see where people are from?

Windswept
2004-08-25, 04:12
having a bit of trouble adding there Carol? ;)
3+8+4=15 not 14
I bet you forgot to remove Koodari's original vote from Europe.
also, any thoughts on this:
Paul, I have to keep going back in to change the Europe total each time a new person votes in that category. When I last looked at the poll, there were only two people listed under UK, but now there are three. So, I just now changed the total.

Yes, thanks, I actually *can* add, but only during months that end in the letter "r".

I went in to see if I could change the poll to show names, but I can't as a mod. I'll see if one of the admins can change it.

Windswept
2004-10-18, 22:56
We have lots of new members.

Maybe some want to vote in the poll, so I'm bumping this to the top.

Windswept
2005-02-21, 22:41
Bumping it again.

I think we have 1,000 new members since this thread was last around. Time to add some new people to the poll.

astatine
2005-02-21, 23:14
I live on the westernmost island in the Aleutian chain of Alaska. Still in the U.S. but closer to Russia than to Alaska.

Paul
2005-02-21, 23:39
I still think this poll should be public... :err:

craiger77
2005-02-22, 02:58
Just moved to Newport on the coast of Oregon. Not as isolated at Attu, but still takes a bit of getting used to life in a small town.

wuf
2005-02-22, 04:10
Outer banks of north carolina.....near virginia.......

-wuf

Windswept
2005-02-22, 11:30
Just moved to Newport on the coast of Oregon. Not as isolated at Attu, but still takes a bit of getting used to life in a small town.
Well, think of it this way - you have experienced the best of two lifestyle alternatives (the big city and the small town). Not just any big city, but one of the absolute best - Seattle. What an incredible place that is. And the Oregon coast is truly sublime. Have you been to Cannon Beach and/or Oceanside? I just love some of the small towns along the Oregon coast. Newport has more to offer because it's just a bit larger; though I prefer the areas where jagged cliffs fall right into the sea - so intensely dramatic.

I bought a full-sized ship's wheel for my house (as a decoration :) ) in a shop at DePoe Bay. And I'd love to spend a fortune in The Nautical Shop in Cannon Beach. I crave spending time by the sea and visiting ports, small and large. If I had been a boy in the days of sailing vessels, I would surely have gone to sea for the adventure. It's weird, though, because from what I've read, those sailors seldom knew how to swim, and almost never ate fish when at sea (at least in the British navy).

If you were stuck inland like I am, you'd come to really savor fresh fish. You are a lucky dog; and you can always visit Seattle when you need a big city "fix." Right? :)

nomorewindows
2005-02-22, 17:10
I live a few blocks from where John Hinkley's parents used to live.

craiger77
2005-02-24, 02:11
Although I have lived a rather nomadic life I always considered Seattle home and have always gone back there eventually. It is a great place to live, although getting a bit crowded these days with horrible traffic. I actually grew up in a very small town of around a thousand people and didn't move to Seattle until I started university there. So I am familiar with small town life. I prefer big cities for the diversity of things to do and people to meet.

If it wasn't for a great job I wouldn't have moved from Seattle to Newport. After living in other places the last few years I was looking forward to spending a few years in Seattle after moving back last summer. Unfortunately the job market wasn't so great for field biologists like myself.

I haven't been to Cannon Beach or Oceanside in many years. We are just starting to explore up and down the coast from Newport and haven't gotten that far north yet. I have been to Depoe Bay of course and had a little adventure (http://www.newportnewstimes.com/articles/2005/02/23/news/news01.txt) with the Coast Guard out of there last Monday.

Having spent about 5 years of my life living and working at sea I guess I have lost those romantic notions you have about shipboard life. Then again here I am again in a job that will take me to sea 4 or 5 times a year so I guess I can't stay away to long. And I can swim and usually eat lots of fish while at sea :)

So far our big city fixes have been to Corvallis, which is about 50 miles inland. We will probably visit Portland fairly often and Seattle when we can.

sunrain
2005-02-24, 03:09

I had a house near the base of Cape Foulweather with a view of Otter Rock. It's a nice area. Certainly nice for composing music (what I do). I grew up in Oregon. Toss me questions about the area any time.

Windswept
2005-02-24, 03:35
I had a house near the base of Cape Foulweather with a view of Otter Rock. It's a nice area. Certainly nice for composing music (what I do). I grew up in Oregon. Toss me questions about the area any time.
Cool! I love Cape Foulweather.

Okay, quiz question #1:

Who named Cape Foulweather?

quiz question #2:

What's the name of the *place* that seems like "a dish that a demon would put on the table at a party to hold a large amount of beverage that's ladled out for guests?"

quiz question #3:

What's the nickname for DePoe Bay?

quiz question #4:

In Oceanside, people jump off a cliff. What are they actually doing? :)

Okay, it's a dumb quiz. But I love talking about the Oregon coast. I have so many great memories from that area. The views are just stunning.

The last time I was in Tillamook, I took a flight over the coast in a 1940's biplane.

The biplane took off from the runway at a *huge* hangar just south of Tillamook.

Quiz question #5:

What's so noteworthy about that particular hangar? :)

sunrain
2005-02-24, 03:50
I'll play. Although those weren't really the kinds of questions I was expecting.

1. Captain Cook, 17??. He first saw it from his ship on a rather foul day.
2. Duh. Devil's Punchbowl.
3. I don't know about a nickname, but they do claim to have the world's smallest harbor. Of course the only boats that harbor there really are whale watching boats.
4. Stumped.
5. Well, there used to be two hangars, but one got lost in a fire. Both of them were used in the war to house Air Defense Blimps. Of course they didn't see any more action than the guns at the mouth of the Columbia did.

Windswept
2005-02-24, 04:08
I'll play. Although those weren't really the kinds of questions I was expecting.

1. Captain Cook, 17??. He first saw it from his ship on a rather foul day.
2. Duh. Devil's Punchbowl.
3. I don't know about a nickname, but they do claim to have the world's smallest harbor. Of course the only boats that harbor there really are whale watching boats.
4. Stumped.
5. Well, there used to be two hangars, but one got lost in a fire. Both of them were used in the war to house Air Defense Blimps. Of course they didn't see any more action than the guns at the mouth of the Columbia did.
Good job!

3. Yep, the world's smallest harbor.
4. Hang-gliding
5. Excellent answer. That blimp hangar is the largest hangar made of wood in the world.

Hey, have you visited those gun emplacements at the mouth of the Columbia? Cool, huh?

craiger77
2005-02-25, 00:33
The hanger (http://www.tillamookair.com/) in Tillamook is now an airplane museum.

Mac+
2005-02-25, 01:33
wow - a thread rebirth ... might have to change my vote from Australia to Asia (more specifically, Nanjing - China).

btw - Carol check your PM

Windswept
2005-02-25, 03:49
The hanger (http://www.tillamookair.com/) in Tillamook is now an airplane museum.
Yes, I know. I love that airplane museum. Once when I was there, you could board the coastal train from inside the hangar and take a train ride up the coast and back. I didn't take the trip that day, and when I wanted to the next year, the train ride was no longer available. :\ Carpe diem. Tsk.

Since Tillamook was the nearest *real* town to where I stayed (in Oceanside), I got pretty well acquainted with it. Bought quite a few books in The Rainy Day bookstore...mostly the Aubrey-Maturin sea novels by Patrick O'Brian. Have you read those?

colivigan
2006-05-15, 21:36
Bump. By popular demand.

kieran
2006-05-15, 21:40
Great idea for a thread. Glad to see it back up.

I'm posting from Drexel University right now while I'm at school, but on most weekends, I'm at home in Springfield, PA

BlueRabbit
2006-05-15, 23:04
Right now I'm at my dorm at the University of Washington (the big ugly building here (http://maps.google.com/?ll=47.657966,-122.303206&spn=0.003548,0.007306&t=k&om=1)). It just happens to be ten miles down 520 from Microsoft, for those of you who wanted to know. During the summer I'll be back at home in Bellevue, which happens to also be ten miles down another road from Microsoft, except in a southwardly direction.

RowdyScot
2006-05-15, 23:11
I'm in Waterville, Ohio, just southwest of Toledo and just north of Bowling Green.

HezMah19
2006-05-16, 02:59
Sunshine Coast (Weekends) / Gold Coast, Queensland Australia.

:D had a great laugh reading through this thread.
Australia & NZ in third...not bad...any new Aussie members come to our aid! We must beat the Canadians!!

mattf
2006-05-16, 03:25
So is the UK no longer considered to be part of Europe?

Teddy Taylor'll be dancing in the streets of Southend the night!

_Ω_
2006-05-16, 03:59
Australia & NZ in third...not bad...any new Aussie members come to our aid!

How quickly you dismiss NZ. Wanker.

:p ;)