PDA

View Full Version : Deadpixel-safe purchasing

ecs
2005-05-02, 13:15
As I said in other messages, I want to buy a Mac mini. However, I'd need "reasonable" CoreImage performance, and so I might decide to go for the low-end iMac instead (once they upgrade the GPU to 128MB).

But... I hate to buy TFTs, because it means to revisit the fight for avoiding getting dead pixels. You know, I applaud Apple for making silent computers and ultralight laptops, but I don't care about noise or weight when there's a damned f#!!ing dead pixel looking at me in the screen. Dead pixels are unacceptable for me. I can't work with them.

In the past I bought a couple of TFTs. One came with a dead pixel, so I returned it claiming I wasn't happy with the purchase, and this allowed me to get a good screen.

But, I guess that's not as easy when buying an iMac, is it? For example, if I buy it with bluetooth and upgrade the RAM to 1GB, returning it because of a dead pixel seems more complicated...

Do you've any good advice for getting an iMac without dead pixels?

One of the things I loved about the Mac mini is that I could use one of my TFTs, which work fine, so the purchase process would be less worrying. But I believe I might need a better GPU than the one in the mini...

Mister Black
2005-05-02, 13:49
Buy the imac in a store. Make them take it out of the box and turn it on for you before you leave with it.

ast3r3x
2005-05-02, 13:50
Don't upgrade your RAM through Apple.

2005-05-02, 13:52
Wear a necklace made of garlic cloves.

Stevuh
2005-05-02, 16:16
even if there is something wrong with the iMac screen (which there shouldn't be) you can always call them up and say hey yo i need a new screen this ones broke and they will fix it.

screensaver400
2005-05-02, 18:24
Actually, Apple has a pretty crappy policy on dead pixels (although its a common one in the industry). If it has one dead pixel, apple probably won't repair it. Their requirement is 7 or 8 grouped together, if i recall correctly. But if you call them and say that you're a graphics designer and spend hours with your nose half an inch from the screen, and need the screen PERFECT, they've sometimes been willing to work with people.

The best bet, though, is to just make them take it out in-store before you leave. I didn't, though, and I have no deads... Guess I got lucky.

rasmits
2005-05-02, 18:57
I think this problem is only common because people complain about it. I've never had a dead pixel on any LCD screen I've owned. That includes cell phones, laptops, iMac G5, Nintendo DS, everything.

murbot
2005-05-02, 19:30
even if there is something wrong with the iMac screen (which there shouldn't be) you can always call them up and say hey yo i need a new screen this ones broke and they will fix it.

I don't believe it. The strict dead pixel policy of Apple, destroyed in a single post.

ecs
2005-05-04, 10:08
Buy the imac in a store. Make them take it out of the box and turn it on for you before you leave with it.
Can I safely buy it in the Apple web store and return it if I get any dead pixel? (telling them I'm not satisfied with the purchase). Or may they refuse to accept the return if I tell them I'm not satisfied with a display which doesn't let me concentrate in my work?

I'm asking this because I think it's Apple who deserves the trouble of dead pixel disappointments, rather than resellers, so if I can buy it safely online, I believe it would be better (also it seems it's faster to buy it online, since resellers in my area don't have the new machines yet)

Bryson
2005-05-04, 10:22
You know, I've had an iBook and a P'Book, my girlfriend has a p'book, my sister has an iBook, my brother in law has an iMac G4, my friends have between them 2 iMac G5s and 3 iMac G4s. Not one of us has a dead pixel. I'd stop worrying if I were you.

ecs
2005-05-04, 10:58
You know, I've had an iBook and a P'Book, my girlfriend has a p'book, my sister has an iBook, my brother in law has an iMac G4, my friends have between them 2 iMac G5s and 3 iMac G4s. Not one of us has a dead pixel. I'd stop worrying if I were you.
I bought a 17'' Samsung monitor. It had one dead pixel. The shop replaced it. Months later I bought another 17'', this time LG. It didn't have dead pixels. A friend of mine got a dead pixel in a PC laptop. You see, it's not so strange to get displays with dead pixels.

I'm considering buying the 20'' iMac, upgraded to 1GB, and with the wireless keyb/mouse option. This is very close to 2000 euros. I'm not going to accept a single dead pixel in a machine that costs me 2000 euros, so I'm asking for advice so that my money can be safe is something goes wrong.

Wraven
2005-05-04, 11:17
ecs,
Call 1-800-MY-APPLE. Ask them (and let us know what they say). Good luck.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-05-04, 11:59
I bought a 17'' Samsung monitor. It had one dead pixel. The shop replaced it. Months later I bought another 17'', this time LG. It didn't have dead pixels. A friend of mine got a dead pixel in a PC laptop. You see, it's not so strange to get displays with dead pixels.

I'm considering buying the 20'' iMac, upgraded to 1GB, and with the wireless keyb/mouse option. This is very close to 2000 euros. I'm not going to accept a single dead pixel in a machine that costs me 2000 euros, so I'm asking for advice so that my money can be safe is something goes wrong.

First off, Apple only repairs custom built computers, they don't replace them. If this is true then you'll need multiple dead pixels in order for Apple to replace the monitor.

As far as the Apple stores go, they won't open up a computer box until it's been paid for. If you decide to return it (as open box) you'll be assessed a 10% restocking fee.

I tried getting the Chestnut Hill store to open my PowerBook up before I bought it to make sure there were no dead pixels but they flatly refused me. Once I bought it I was free to borrow Genius Bar space and open it up myself for inspection but the box isn't allowed to be opened until it's been bought.