PDA

View Full Version : Best graphics card for G4MDD?

Dark Skies
2005-05-03, 17:23
Hi guys,

I've got a Dual 1Ghz MDD G4 currently using a Radeon 9000 Pro. I believe its got a 4x AGP graphics slot - but I might be wrong. Now that I've got Tiger, and I'm missing out on the Core stuff - what are my options for a new blisteringly fast graphics card? And do any of them have ADC (I've got a 2003 20" Cinema Display)?

Thanks in advance.

DS

Wraven
2005-05-03, 17:25
Dark Skies,
Welcome to AppleNova. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your question soon, but just an FYI - this thread will probably be moved to Purchasing Advice (since it is asking for advice on a potential purchase). Don't take it personally if it is moved...

Luca
2005-05-03, 18:10
Thanks, Wraven. :)

As for your question, there is one. It is the extraordinarily rare and expensive Radeon 9700 Pro Mac Edition. It was only available as a BTO option with the last generation of mirrored drive door PowerMacs, and even then only for a few months because it wasn't available at first. The 9700 Pro Mac Edition is the only video card for the MDD PowerMacs that has ADC and fully supports CoreImage. The 9800 Pro Mac Edition is cheaper and more powerful, but it doesn't have ADC. You can also get a Radeon 9600 Pro, pulled from a G5 and modified to work in a PowerMac, but the ADC on that one doesn't work because Apple moved the ADC power connector on the motherboard.

You're going to have to make a choice. Either sacrifice full CoreImage acceleration, sacrifice ADC, or spend probably several weeks looking for a video card that could easily run you $300+. If I were in your position, I'd just stick with what you have. All you're missing out on is one (?) pretty visual effect. I have a Mac mini and it doesn't support CoreImage either. I don't even notice. Performance isn't increased at all and as far as I know, the "ripple effect" is the only advantage to having a CoreImage video card. Well, that and full hardware acceleration for all the CoreImage transformations.

See, you're not actually "missing out" on much. CoreImage is always running in Tiger. It's just a set of really cool transformations and filters. The ripple effect is one of many, and it's visible when putting a widget on the dashboard. You'll still have access to the ripple effect, but it won't play when you put a widget on the dashboard because without full hardware acceleration, it won't be very smooth. But I think there are already a couple applications out that use the CoreImage transformations, and you can run those just fine, they'll just take a little longer.

Actually, I thought of another option if you are just *dying* to see this ripple effect. You could buy a Radeon 9600 Pro from OtherWorldComputing.com for $120, and then get a DVI to ADC adapter for around $100. It'll let you use your ADC monitor, and it's cheaper than buying a Radeon 9700 Pro. The 9700 Pro is faster, but they're so rare that I'm not sure you'd be able to find one no matter how much you'd be willing to spend.

staph
2005-05-03, 18:52
Thanks, Wraven. :)

As for your question, there is one. It is the extraordinarily rare and expensive Radeon 9700 Pro Mac Edition. It was only available as a BTO option with the last generation of mirrored drive door PowerMacs, and even then only for a few months because it wasn't available at first. The 9700 Pro Mac Edition is the only video card for the MDD PowerMacs that has ADC and fully supports CoreImage. The 9800 Pro Mac Edition is cheaper and more powerful, but it doesn't have ADC. You can also get a Radeon 9600 Pro, pulled from a G5 and modified to work in a PowerMac, but the ADC on that one doesn't work because Apple moved the ADC power connector on the motherboard.

Actually, it does work apparently, just without power (!)

Luca
2005-05-03, 18:56
I know. So if you get a 9600 Pro, you can only use the ADC port if you buy an ADC to DVI adapter (which is cheap, and not the same as a DVI to ADC adapter).

Dark Skies
2005-05-03, 19:27
Thank you...and DAMN IT!!!!

I'm gonna look around for a 9700, but I think I'll really have to wait until I'm a G5 owner!

DS