PDA

View Full Version : sell Powerbook for new iMac?

LAmezq3984
2005-05-03, 22:26
I am really liking the new iMac 20", and so I put my powerbook up for sale on craigslist.com, and within like 10 minutes, I already got an e-mail about someone wanting it. I am asking 1900 for it, and that would cover the cost of the iMac. So my question to you is, Do I go for it? the portability of the PB is great, but not a huge factor.

_Ω_
2005-05-03, 22:39
I think we might need a bit more info.....like PB specs, your desired iMac etc......

That said and done the main adv of the PB is portability. If you can do without it what the heck.

:)

omem
2005-05-03, 22:42
my guess

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/sys/71527805.html

LAmezq3984
2005-05-03, 23:26
::hands OMEM a cigar:: hehe, yeah thats it.

my powerbook is a 1.25 GHz 15" Aluminum Powerbook. I purchased a 1 GB Ram stick seperately (It's OEM though), for a total of 1.25 GB of RAM. I mainly want to upgrade for the G5, faster processor, better superdrive, and of course, a larger screen. I use final cut to edit my animation projects for school, and I use logic and garageband to mess around as a hobby, and occasionally use songs made in movies. Having the faster computer and larger screen would benefit me greatly. I really only take advantage of the portability when I go home once a month, other than that, I don't take it anywhere. If I were to get the iMac, I feel the pros far outweigh the cons.

Oh yeah, I am looking at the iMac 20" 2.0 GHz, probably making it 1 gig (2X512), and upgrading one of them to a 1 gig stick later if possible

Wrao
2005-05-03, 23:36
I am in the exact same boat except I think I can only get $1650 at best for my powerbook, since it has less RAM, a combo drive, and pitting on the palm rest area, but otherwise it's the exact same situation you're in.

However, I reeeeally like having the portability. The iMac would become solely a music production machine, and in that regard I would probably prefer keeping the powerbook and getting the iMac a little bit down the road. Oh decisions.

Mac+
2005-05-04, 00:05
Wrao - keeping the iMac as solely a music making machine. If you were going that route, wouldn't you prefer to save harder for a dual processor machine and let the music apps harness that extra power? One processor for the plug-ins/effects the other for application specific stuff ... or however it works.

Also, what music apps are you using on your PB and are they frustratingly slow or just competent?

LAmezq3984
2005-05-07, 16:09
so I got some more responses on craigslist inquiring aboout my powerbook. One of them is asking if I accept PayPal. I've never used Paypal, and was wondering what the differences were between the 3 different types they have to choose from on their site. I can scratch the business account, I'm pretty sure thats not me, but the personal account, and premier account confuse me. Anyone here with PayPal exp. care to comment? If I were to sell him my powerbook, which account would I need to accept payment? and what cost are involved? Thanks.