PDA

View Full Version : Saving up for an iMac or PowerBook or iBook

Dave.m55
2005-05-06, 11:51
Hi all,
just registered pretty recently...

I've been a pc user for most of my life, but I'm getting tired of them to be honest, looking for a more stable and reliable system ( that also looks good ). I'm a computing student so I have been building pc's for quite a while aswell. Anyway inbetween using college computers and my own home i generally get quite irritated using microsoft OS and apps as they are boring and poorly built.
My friend has been a mac man for all his life, he has shown me his machines and there very impressive, well he's convinced me anyway. So tonight I'm gonna order myself a new iMac G5 (2Ghz 17" Model), seems a very nice machine and well made; and a great alternative to this PC,

thanks for reading,

Dave.

Kickaha
2005-05-06, 11:53
Congrats, welcome, and don't mind the frat party atmosphere over in AppleOutsider, we're all good blokes. Well, except for the good blokettes. :)

SledgeHammer
2005-05-06, 11:59
Yeah. Read as many existing threads as you can to get yourself started here. Especially in AO. It helps to pick up the tone of the humor before posting so that you don't get offended at things meant in fun. Welcome aboard, and feel free to ask any questions about Macs or computers in general. There are plenty of people here willing and able to help.

Luca
2005-05-06, 12:04
Hola!

http://www.spamusement.com/gfx/236.gif

torifile
2005-05-06, 12:15
Welcome to AN!

Since you're also a new mac user, you might want to give a few of these threads a read-through.

Essential System Utilities (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=4047&highlight=essential)
General Troubleshooting Techniques (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=24)
Essential Programs (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=5259&highlight=program)
Forum "Handbook" (http://forums.applenova.com/showthread.php?t=4066)

Don't let the old crotchy bastards here scare you off. We're really a good bunch. ;)

murbot
2005-05-06, 12:16
Yeah, this place must be hard for newcomers to figure out, now that I think about it.

One tip: if I post a reply to a thread of yours and it's only one sentence long, chances are it's dripping with sarcasm. I'm kind of an asshole that way.

Kickaha
2005-05-06, 12:33
Only that way?

(See? ;) )

thuh Freak
2005-05-06, 12:36
I'm kind of an asshole that way.
he really is. and we love to watch him do his work.

don't forget to grab a beer, and please, don't bogart the chips.

Dave.m55
2005-05-06, 13:14
well cheers for the welcome and links guys ;)

Wrao
2005-05-06, 14:21
Hola!

http://www.spamusement.com/gfx/236.gif

Damn you! you stole my post!

Wrao
2005-05-06, 14:23
We're really a good bunch...

of crotchety old bastards!

crotchety

2005-05-06, 14:25
No, I'm crotchy. Definitely.

Kickaha
2005-05-06, 14:31
*sniff sniff*

Yup, you are.

2005-05-06, 14:39
:p

Well, murbot's got a drippy asshole, so I'm in good company.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-05-06, 14:43
:p

Well, murbot's got a drippy asshole, so I'm in good company.

Yea, in a 'I don't know why these dogs love to stick their wet nose up my ass' kinda way. :lol:

Either that or you're eating those potato chips with that OLean nonfat stuff in them.

torifile
2005-05-06, 15:04
Freudian slip, I suppose.

Windswept
2005-05-06, 15:11
Congrats, welcome, and don't mind the frat party atmosphere over in AppleOutsider, we're all good blokes. Well, except for the good blokettes. :)
Yeah, welcome, Dave. :)

Yes, indeed. Ya gotta watch out for stuff/people in AppleOutsider...especially Murbot. But he warned you himself, so that's a good thing. ;)

I am always happy to get 'converts' at AppleNova. We have been getting lots and lots of those lately. Yay!

Brad
2005-05-06, 16:48
int um = (int)( Math.random() * 5 );
switch ( um ) {
case 0: out.println("Welcome"); break;
case 1: out.println("Bienvenidos"); break;
case 2: out.println("Bienvenue"); break;
case 3: out.println("Bienvenuti"); break;
case 4: out.println("Willkommen"); break;
default: out.println("Huh? " + um);
}

Kickaha
2005-05-06, 16:53
Oh yeah, and Brad's a big geek. But we love him anyway.

(We have to, or we get Banninated.)

Franz Josef
2005-05-07, 05:50
Welcome Dave :) let us know how you get on with the iMac. As torifile said, lot's of good links in those threads. http://www.macupdate.com/ particularly good :)

Dave.m55
2005-06-26, 13:42
OK,
seems a long time since i made this thread but...
i've been actually saving my cash a bit more, although interested in the imac, i feel i might need a notebook for taking up to college. Seen alot of spec on a new ibook soon, but only concern with the ibook is i'd like to use the audio in feature with garageband and my guitar in my spare time (but i hear there are products that let you do this externally?) anyway, main decision is between the G5 imac and as of right now ... 1 of the notebooks. Thanks for any feedback

--p.s im in kind of a remote area in the UK ... the closest apple store is like 400 miles away, so any pics of the systems i'm interested in would be great ;)

Stevuh
2005-06-26, 14:01
i love my 15" i've been trying to get a pro tools setup working on it for an auditorium i work in, biggest issue is i don't understand pro tools. mine is the original ALbook 1.25 G4 and it still is kicking ibook ass to this day my friend just got a new ibook and mine is still faster than it for stuff like basic video editing and photoshop. Could be that mine is a very well maintained machine, but still mine PB flies. i highly reccomend a 15" for students who want both power and portability. and to be honest i've never had an issue with my 15" being too big to move around easily. and my hand fit better on the keyboard.

HTH

sunrain
2005-06-26, 14:11
OK,
seems a long time since i made this thread but...
i've been actually saving my cash a bit more, although interested in the iMac, i feel i might need a notebook for taking up to college. Seen alot of spec on a new iBook soon, but only concern with the iBook is i'd like to use the audio in feature with garageband and my guitar in my spare time (but i hear there are products that let you do this externally?) anyway, main decision is between the G5 iMac and as of right now ... 1 of the notebooks. Thanks for any feedback

--p.s im in kind of a remote area in the UK ... the closest apple store is like 400 miles away, so any pics of the systems i'm interested in would be great ;)
If you're looking at using GarageBand, you'll find that it's a bit of a resource hog. Wrao could speak to this better (since he loves the GB), but I remember him mentioning that. You might want to look at a PowerBook.

Brad
2005-06-26, 14:15
I'm moving this thread to Purchasing Advice since that appears to be the nature of the current discussion. I'd also highly recommend browsing or searching the existing threads in the Purchaing Advice forum because we've had lots of people ask about and discuss the pros and cons of notebooks.

And I'm editing the title to something more appropriate too...

Franz Josef
2005-06-26, 14:19
To my mind, a 12" PowerBook would work well for you - it's in your price range. It is very portable, fast, will work well with Garageband, comes WiFi-enabled. Buy one with an 80GB harddrive (good capacity), a superdrive, and if your budget will stretch, upgrade RAM from the 512MB to say 768MB. Details online at the Applestore - http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore .

It's a great machine :)

Dave.m55
2005-06-26, 14:37
To my mind, a 12" PowerBook would work well for you - it's in your price range. It is very portable, fast, will work well with Garageband, comes WiFi-enabled. Buy one with an 80GB harddrive (good capacity), a superdrive, and if your budget will stretch, upgrade RAM from the 512MB to say 768MB. Details online at the Applestore - http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore .

It's a great machine :)

I certainly did consider that machine, my friend has one which I did like however the ibook attracted me because of the price and still seemed to have decent features, I believe I would be eligible for a student discount aswell(not sure how that works)

Brad
2005-06-26, 14:41
I believe I would be eligible for a student discount aswell(not sure how that works)
Apple's education page for UK:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/

Apple Education Store for UK:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/store/

UK education special offers:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/promo/

How to buy:
http://www.apple.com/uk/education/howtobuy/

Franz Josef
2005-06-26, 14:55
I certainly did consider that machine, my friend has one which I did like however the iBook attracted me because of the price and still seemed to have decent features, I believe I would be eligible for a student discount aswell(not sure how that works)

12" iBook is great value, particularly if you manage to get an edu discount. These days the RAM and harddrive capacity look a little light to my mind though and that may be in issue with Garageband (as would lack of audio-in but you can work around that). Would recommend you upgrade RAM (an additional £100 to 768MB) and HD to 80GB (for an extra £80).

Dave.m55
2005-06-26, 15:26
Thing is the iMac has everything I want, (apart from portability to college obviously) it has an analogue audio in right, for a good price. So basically I gotta decide between that or being able to take the machine with me, tough call :P

Franz Josef
2005-06-26, 16:53
Yes. It's gotta be the first decision in the decision tree - portability or not. Everything else follows.

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-06-27, 17:54
If you're getting the computer for college, you'll most likely want something portable. It makes taking notes in all those lecture classes much less painful. Heck with the built-in mic you can audio record the lectures as well. As long as you're reasonably close to the front of the class anyway.

Or you could sit in back in the really boring classes (although I honestly don't remember any dreadfully boring classes in college) and wirelessly surf or whatever.

MindyM
2005-06-27, 18:13
As a recent purchaser of a new iMac (went for the 20" myself), I went through the same question of desktop or portable. When I sat down and thought about what I would really do with it away from home (carry it around, have to watch out for it, forget I have it, or just don't feel like pulling it out) instead of what I thought I would do with it (write a world-class novel, conquer the world, cure cancer) - the choice was easy. I am thrilled with the iMac's performance even through it's not a G5. I talked to several people who said to go with 20" because I would really enjoy the real estate (they were sooooo right!), and upgraded to 1Gb in 1 chip (because size may not matter - but memory sure does).

Hope this helps!

benkraft
2005-06-28, 01:56
As a recent purchaser of a new iMac (went for the 20" myself), (...) I am thrilled with the iMac's performance even through it's not a G5.

...and how is your 20" iMac not a G5?

bassplayinMacFiend
2005-06-28, 05:51
...and how is your 20" iMac not a G5?

It could be a refurbed lampshade iMac (G4). Those were getting blown out on Apple's special deals pages about a month or so ago.

FallenFromTheTree
2005-06-28, 09:18
I think he means it's not a dual G5 tower.

Dave.m55
2005-07-10, 08:50
i've narrowed it down to 12" ibook or powerbook, just having trouble because theres little things like my machines seem to get dirty + " All models include scrolling trackpad capability, AirPort Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rates, Sudden Motion Sensor, etc."
... do these things really make a difference,
anyone who has ibook/powerbook can offer advice , thanks ;)

Franz Josef
2005-07-10, 09:18
There are a lot of existing threads comparing iBook v PowerBook. Suggest you use the search bar at the top of the page - you will very likely find everything you need.

Dave.m55
2005-07-11, 13:46
Oh one last question - is applecare worth getting?

kretara
2005-07-11, 14:03
Oh one last question - is applecare worth getting?

On a portable -- YES!!
On a desktop -- maybe

Portables tend to be beat upon alot more than a desktop, thus they tend to fail more often (this is for all portables, not just Apple portables). That little extra bit of insurance is very nice to have.

Unch
2005-07-12, 05:01
Hi Dave,

I don't know if you know this but you can get really good educational discounts on Apple products. The Higher Educational discounts are particularly good. I assume from the fact that you are a computing student (me too :)) that you are at Uni. If this is the case you can access the Higher education store from a Uni IP address (either on campus, or by proxy if your uni offers it)

You can really save yourself a bit of cash.

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/uk/Images/routingpage.html

Dave.m55
2005-07-12, 05:47
Well college at the moment, and they are Anti-apple, they've never used them and when you mention something about them during a class they are like "huh?...",
Besides I'm pretty sure that won't work, I'll just use the Educational individual, I'm pretty sure that will will work,
but thanks for mentioning it ;)

Franz Josef
2005-07-12, 07:40
Well college at the moment, and they are Anti-apple, they've never used them and when you mention something about them during a class they are like "huh?...",
Besides I'm pretty sure that won't work, I'll just use the Educational individual, I'm pretty sure that will will work,
but thanks for mentioning it ;)

Apple are a huge supplier to education (maybe even still the No 1 supplier) so don't get hung up if the guys at your college don't know anything about Macs - they ought to.

Unch
2005-07-12, 10:45
The problem is (from what I've seen) Educational establishments in this country tend to see Macs as "Art" machines. The thought that you might want to use it for something other than Photoshop or Flash is almost beyond comprehension :\