PDA

View Full Version : Don't move my shit.

alcimedes
2004-06-24, 23:09
Ok, here's a personal rant for you all. Just in case anyone hasn't learned this yet.

When you live with someone, and they have stuff they use on a regular basis, don't move it for them. Don't "organize" it for them. Don't "help" clean.

However, if, by some god awful mistake in genetics you just can't help but clean, reorganize and move shit all over creation, for GOD'S SAKE remember where the HELL YOU PUT IT.

Nothing is more annoying than to have someone move your crap all over creation and then say "I don't know where it is, I didn't move it".

Arghh!!!

Anyway, end of rant. Hopefully I'm not the only person who's felt ready to strangle someone over this. :D

Now to find all of my crap again.

Wrao
2004-06-24, 23:11
I agree 100% EXCEPT in regards to the kitchen.

Ryan
2004-06-24, 23:15
I have people move stuff all around in classes, whenever I leave my desk. It gets old quickly.

Very quickly.

EDS66
2004-06-24, 23:43
Ok, here's a personal rant for you all. Just in case anyone hasn't learned this yet.

When you live with someone, and they have stuff they use on a regular basis, don't move it for them. Don't "organize" it for them. Don't "help" clean.

However, if, by some god awful mistake in genetics you just can't help but clean, reorganize and move shit all over creation, for GOD'S SAKE remember where the HELL YOU PUT IT.

Nothing is more annoying than to have someone move your crap all over creation and then say "I don't know where it is, I didn't move it".

Arghh!!!

Anyway, end of rant. Hopefully I'm not the only person who's felt ready to strangle someone over this. :D

Now to find all of my crap again.

Who moved your shit? Or did you move someone else's shit?

Brad
2004-06-24, 23:50
It looks like someone needs to read this book.

http://home.pacbell.net/jymd/images/whomovedmycheese290.gif

:p

Naderfan
2004-06-24, 23:52
here's a suggestion: Make sure your shit is organized nicely so there's no reason to have to move it. :) But I understand what you mean. I like to have my stuff stay where I leave it, otherwise I'll never find it. All in all, an understandable rant.

alcimedes
2004-06-25, 00:01
the wife moved my crap.

as for the background to the story....

as you know naderfan, my ankle has put me pretty much into a situation of chronic pain for the rest of my life.

so in the kitchen i keep two bottles of aspirin. for whatever reason, it's the only (legal, non perscription) thing that seems to work.

anyway, tonight i go to look for it, and it's not there. i'm in a pretty damn serious amount of pain, so i'm not exactly in a good mood. so i ask my wife where they are, and i get "i don't know, i dind't move them".

i probably wouldn't have cared as much, but of course when my ankle is killing me i get a bit cranky. top that off with this being the third time in a week that something has "moved itself" and i was getting a bit annoyed.

and then i hear "it's not my fault".

:mad:

you move shit, you damn well better remember where you moved it to, especially when it's not yours. i'm thinking that if in the next week her makeup, jewelry and various soaps were to "move themselves" i might "it's not my fault" to not be a very good excuse. we'll have to see. :)

Bender
2004-06-25, 00:16
Amen. Don't "clean" for me. Don't "help me organize"

Some of us are right brained. Other's need to deal with it.

:mad:

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 01:28
"Everything in it's right place" (and that is where I put it!!)

johnq
2004-06-25, 01:32
I've had 20 years of housemates...

My RULES ...all true but I honestly don't phrase them this rudely :D :D

1. Keep your shit off the bathroom sink (there's no room), put it somewhere else. If you don't, I move it, placing it in one messy, bitchy pile on the top of the toilet tank.

2. FLUSH. I'm not pissing into your shit or shitting into your piss, so if you don't flush I have to flush for you. You ain't saving any water, hippie. Plus the longer it sits there the quicker the bowl gets dirty. More chemicals going out to the harbor. JUST FLUSH.

3. Dry your fucking feet before getting out of the shower. I'm sick of stepping into Lake Fucking Erie in my socks when I just want to brush my teeth.

4. If you keep all your shit in Bathroom #1 and I'm using it, tough shit and wait. No, waiting outside the door only makes me go slower. Go jerk off or read a book. If you don't like this, do what us intelligent humans do and keep our vital toiletries in a little bag or tray and keep it in your room so you can use EITHER bathroom at any time.

5. Sort the fucking mail. I put your mail in your slot, don't fucking leave my mail on the floor where the opened door pushes it under the recycling bin where it sits for a week.

6. I don't use the kitchen, nor do I put stuff in the sink or the kitchen's trash. You fucking clean it and empty it, it's all your shit. I eat out or get delivery 100% of the time and have a bucket in my room for my trash.

7. Lock the goddamn doors. This isn't fucking Mayberry.

8. If I loan you something GIVE IT BACK.

9. You knew your room's fuse can't take a space heater or air conditioner, so stop fucking trying it each season. Don't like it? Move. That my room has A.C. is none of your business.

10. I just handle the rent. Don't act like the money you are giving me is going to ME. Just because I make 6 times more than you do (even on unemployment) doesn't mean I can or will float you rent. It all goes to the landlord. Get a real job.

11. I didn't use or steal your stuff. Keep your stuff in your own room, locked, like I do. Or else tolerate the occasional stolen Q-Tip in silence.

12. Yes I have cable and the rest of the house doesn't. Feel free to call the cable company and have your own line put in. I have too much to deal with.

13. No we aren't getting a house phone line just for you. Get a cell phone. I'm sorry if your credit sucks.

14. No, you can't use my computer to check Hotmail, I'm busy.

15. You play bongos and guitar and it annoys me, I play Ghost Recon with the sound up to 11. We're even.

16. I added you to my Airport Base Station's authorized access list, I can remove you from my Airport Base Station's authorized access list. Pay up.

17. Winter alchemy: $50 per person = heat. No money, no heat. We buy only when everyone has paid. Or you can just be cold.

18. If you are cold and want us to buy heat and fix the vent to your room so it works, don't stand around in those stupid tighty red shorts of yours and a tank top in December and complain about how fucking cold you are, you Bulgarian metalhead freak, you. (Hi Miro!)

19. I use my previous Sony Wega as my coffee table in front of my new Sony Wega. Yes it still works (but the picture's kinda green now). No you can't have it. It's a coffee table now. Deal with it. Go away.

20. No, you can't borrow my iPod.

_Ω_
2004-06-25, 01:48
I've had 20 years of housemates...

...rant...

WOW!! :eek:

:lol:

Mac+
2004-06-25, 05:11
man - that is some 20 years of pent up shite! :lol:

I agree with some of it - but damn, what a vent!!! :wow:

(do you have that printed up in hard copy form - and hand it to new housemates on arrival?) :p

johnq
2004-06-25, 05:32
It's not as bad as I make it sound. :D

Nah, I let everyone do what they want initially (i.e. trust them) and deal with any problems anew each time. Pretty easy to overcome any of those problems with a simple polite request (which is nearly always what it amounts to).

But those are ones that were pretty common every few years.

Another thing: turn the shower back to the BATH setting when you're done. Sooooo sick of getting blasted with cold water. Why do I still assume it'll be set to BATH first? :D

thegelding
2004-06-25, 08:08
alc...do you have dogs? children?

having dogs helps you deal with and understand "loss"...that nothing is yours, that everything is transitory...

ummmm...i liked that belt, but the dog ate the buckle off it...
that was a nice vase, but the dog's wagging tail knocked it off the table and that was the end of that...
etc

i have come to a point in my life (having kids and dogs and a wife) to just "accept" that what i can't find i wasn't meant to have

now i know pain make that harder...but another way of "dealing" with the situation of not finding your aspirin would be this (and i readily admit that i am "whipped" in sooooo many ways...it seems to make life go much easier): "ummm, aspirin seems to be gone (i ignore the small voice in my head that reminds me that the bottle was half full just yesterday), guess i'll run out to the store and buy some more..." notice how i don't ask the wife, the kids nor the dogs where said aspirin might be...that is because all answers will be either "how should i know, you are the aspirin addict of the family" or "dad! i'm on IM right now so get out of my room" or "woof woof woof" which loosely translates to "yeah, maybe i buried your precious aspirin in the backyard and maybe i didn't, i really can't remember, but take me on a walk anyways"

the sooner you realize nothing is yours, the happier you are on your long slog to the grave

cheers

g

alcimedes
2004-06-25, 08:59
lol, we have two dogs geld, one's over 100lbs, the other close to 80. i understand loss.

i also understand that a dog is a dog, and i don't expect that much from them. i know they'll destroy stuff, i know they're going to take crap and move it around. which is why i keep that which is important to me out of their way, and out of their reach.

i just expect slightly more from people. maybe that's a bit too much.

Moogs
2004-06-25, 09:54
johnq, I can sympathize with much of your plight, but still I recommend a nice big bottle of Xanax. We'd rather you remain a solid citizen and not a reasonable man turned serial killer. Alternately, you could *buy your own place*... you know, mortgages, equity and all that fun stuff? I think 20 years is long enough to be renting / sharing payments... time to graduate from that post-collegiate stupor we all enjoyed once upon a time.

:D

A little story of my own: my boss tends to leave a lot of his photography equipment stored up in various crooks and corners of his house because his studio isn't done being furnished yet, etc. Well, as the week goes on stuff tends to get piled onto other stuff and eventually his wife goes looking for something that she had added to the pile earlier in the week.

The problem is, she will pick up anything, no matter how important or expensive it is, and just stow it somewhere as she digs through the piles to find her thing. This invariably drives my boss insane because his wife never remembers to replace the item in its original / usual spot, and never remembers to tell anyone that she moved it in the first place.

We've found inkjet printers in cupboards, light meters in the stove drawer and just about any other ridiculous combination you can think of. Now whenever something goes missing we have to search half the friggin house, even though we always keep it in the same general area.

Reminds me of my dog who will grab our drink coasters or remote controls when she's bored, and hide them in various sleeping locations throughout the house.

:)

dviant
2004-06-25, 10:14
hahah john's list is hilarious... i'll probably receive that as some chain email in the future with a trumped up title like "George W. Bush's house rules if he let Cheney* move in" or some such.

*he is a big metalhead you know...

2004-06-25, 10:18
I agree 100% EXCEPT in regards to the kitchen.Ooh! I'm exactly the opposite. NOBODY touches my shit in the kitchen. If you want to help washing the dishes, fine. Leave them in the drying rack when you're finished and I'll put them away, thank you very much. If by some horrible turn of events I can't find my favorite wooden mixing spoon...the fiery wrath of Hell will surely be rained upon the offender. :mad:

And as far as my office 'work habits' go...my stacks of paper may look untidy and on the verge of succumbing to gravitational force to you...but they aren't. And won't. My piles are analogous to the perfectly layered strata of the earth, or the wonderfully delicate rings of a growing tree. I know EXACTLY where each and every piece of paper I might need resides by depth and skew. Don't fucking organize it. I will kill you.

DMBand0026
2004-06-25, 10:30
Well said. I couldn't agree more. I hate when people try to organize my "mess". If I know where everything is, it's not a mess. :D

And no worries, even if my piles of crap did come tumbling down, they wouldn't hit you...so stfu. :D

thuh Freak
2004-06-25, 11:24
my "mother" was the worst about this stuff. not just for me, but for my siblings. she moves things and can never find them. when she cleans (or used to tell me to clean) it was always about making less stuff visible, thence unfindable. she's pretty bad about it. one year, she hid our christmas presents (to be expected, of course, as we were young and still believing in the big, fat, red man). a few months later, one of my sisters was poking around her closet for something and found a vhs of her favorite movie. she asked mother about it, and mom was like "oh, yea. i had bought that for you for xmas, but i couldn't find it." every easter, again when we were young, we'd do a egg hunt in the house. we stopped them a several years ago. a year or so after the hunts stopped, we found an egg, in a child-unreachable spot above the t.v. dealie (which is about 7.5ft tall). my room was always terribly messy, as i fuckin like it. she'd move clothes, mail, papers, drugs (legal and non), everything, just so it wouldn't be visible when u entered the room. i can't even tell you how many times i've reworn some dangy clothes because i couldn't find anything (i never look in my closets or drawers, b/c i expect the clean clothes to be visible when i enter the room; a lot of the time they aren't placed there anyway). i've gone days, and sometimes weeks, without finding my stash, which is more than a little irritating. i have bad credit now, because my credit card bill was "misplaced" by the powers that be; and my checkbook is missing. its a real big hassle, and from my perspective, little or no benefit. you can ask her where stuff is, and unless its in her hand at the time, its gone forever.

i, on the other hand, am not too good (yet stil lbetter) about placing stuff. my stuff is all over the place, but i know exactly where it is. someone else looking over my room won't know the ceiling from the floor, but i can tell you exactly where everything from my nailclipper to my ps2 are. its all right there in the big pile. if you can't find it, follow the smell. you might think "hey, nail clippers don't have a smell." well, buddy, they do in my room.

Moogs
2004-06-25, 12:18

Ewww. Toe jam.

curiousuburb
2004-06-25, 14:07
Can I get a "Stay out of my directory structure"?

Amen.

Moogs
2004-06-25, 14:24
Yah! Just because a person may be welcome in my home, doesn't mean they're welcome in my House, if you take my meaning. Respect the Directory, bizotches!

:D

Chinney
2004-06-25, 15:38
It happens to anyone who lives with anyone else. Things get left lying around - people move them. My wife does this to me all of the time. I do it to her too. I am sure that each of us thinks that the other does it more often. If you love the other person, you get over it, especially if you are looking forward to doing things together aside from arguing.

If, however, you are just rooming together, the usual result is for people to move out…or gunplay. In my experience, the average lifespan of any single roommate combination – no matter how cordial the initial situation – is less than a year. Heck, I’ll bet that the average is even less than a school year. Geez, I can remember some ‘battles royale’ back in my university rooming days…and I’m a pretty easy-going guy.

Naderfan
2004-06-25, 15:56
Alcimedes-sorry, didn't realize it was your ankle stuff. That would be off- limits, sacred ground, etc. I thought it was just piles of other stuff, like books or clothes or something. Like how some people just leave socks lying around the house, wherever they took them off. That I can understand moving. I try to control myself-if there's a pile of stuff that's not mine, I might move it from the center of the room to the side, but I try not to put it away where I think it should go. If you do move someone's stuff, you should tell them where you moved it too right after you moved it, so you don't forget yourself. Too bad that didn't work out this time.

Chinney
2004-06-25, 16:12
One person’s “just put down” or “stored away” is the other person’s “left lying around” or “stored in the wrong spot”. That’s the source of the whole problem…or it is at least in my case.

Moogs
2004-06-25, 16:34
Anyone ever work for one of those bosses with an "advanced filing system", consisting of random piles of papers, folders, mail and binders about two feet high, scattered all across their desks and shelves?

Disaster.

thuh Freak
2004-06-25, 18:04
If, however, you are just rooming together, the usual result is for people to move out…or gunplay. In my experience, the average lifespan of any single roommate combination – no matter how cordial the initial situation – is less than a year. Heck, I’ll bet that the average is even less than a school year. Geez, I can remember some ‘battles royale’ back in my university rooming days…and I’m a pretty easy-going guy.
ya know, thats interesting. my first roommate and i were both very messy, and didn't bug eachother about that kind of shit. only when the stank got out of hand (ie, when u could smell it from the rooms next to ours). but we hated eachother, and i was more than glad when he failed out midyear. my next roommate was considerably more clean than me (well, i actually had 2: one was clean and one was kind of in the middle). but the clean guy wasn't too pushy about it, and he was one of my best friends in college. occassionally, he'd be like "ok, we gotta clean this shit up." and so he'd move shit around; but it was always in my presence, so i could see where he misplaced things. the other roommate never had issues about any of that, except of course when security came to break up our drinking parties, and we had to clear out the empties before they got in the room. /me reminisces about the good ol' days...

fahlman
2004-06-25, 18:51
Anyone ever work for one of those bosses with an "advanced filing system", consisting of random piles of papers, folders, mail and binders about two feet high, scattered all across their desks and shelves?

Disaster. I could take pictures of exactly this and post it but I can't host 'em. My dad's house is one huge stack. Kitchen, living room, and even the bathroom. I was at his house the other day using the bathroom, as I'm sitting there I grab a piece of newspaper from the pile. It's dated September something 2003. This stack is at least two feet tall.