PDA

View Full Version : Getting ripped off???

mattmal
2005-05-07, 23:31
Like i said in my last post, I just bought a Apple iBook 14.1". When I got home and opened it up, I saw that the box was a little bit worn, not bad but a little bit. That made me raise some eyebrows, but I wrote it off due to maybe a lot of moving in the back or something. WHen i turned on my computer and started browsing the internet, in my history and in the address bar there were a whole bunch of sites I had never gone to like oreillyfactor, washingtonpost, Is this right taht I got a computer that someone returned? I like my stuff brand new and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts. The iBook also did not come installed with tiger but with a tiger installation disk.... if anyone has any thoughts of help please let me know.thanks!

Kiren
2005-05-07, 23:39
many sites are already in your autocomplete with a new mac, I'm pretty sure washington post is one of them, don't know about oreillyfactor. As to the o/s you probably just have an ibook that left the factory prior to 10.4's release, I wouldn't worry about that.

Brad
2005-05-07, 23:39
Hmm. That sounds like someone purchased it, returned it, and you got it. I'm not sure if the Apple Store are supposed to give open-box discounts or not, but I'd go back and ask them about it.

edit... wait... are you saying they were in your history or in your bookmarks? If the latter, that's perfectly normal. As Kiren said, Safari includes a lot of bookmarks by default.

mattmal
2005-05-07, 23:43
no you know in your address box, when you start to type like www. whatever your gonna type and some like sites that yo have been to drop down, thats what happened, i started typing www.dru, and a whole bunch of sites that i never went to dropped down, in a brand new computer and a brand new browser, the addrss bar shold be completely blank of addresses, there was also a red sticker on the box so i dont know what that meant.

Brad
2005-05-07, 23:47
Okay. I just tried on a clean account and you should definitely *not* be getting any autocomplete entries in the address bar.

Take that back and ask about who had it before.

Paul
2005-05-07, 23:48
yeah, safari checks through bookmarks as well as your history for the URL autocomplete feature...

perfectly normal.

err... I should probably rephrase that...

It depends on what urls come up. Are they top-level links like: www.xxx.com and thats all or do they go www.cnn.com/4027/2340noune/bush/30/4/2005/war or something like that?

mattmal
2005-05-07, 23:50
I didn't have any bookmarks prior to that. I am pissed that they wuld try to pull something like that on me, do you think that is standard procedure that is, if everything is ok with a returned computer, tehy put it back out for resale?? or not

Wickers
2005-05-08, 03:45
Well how about this. . .

When you first turn on you new (from factory) Apple, you will get that nifty spining cube setup program.

If you did not get this, and it just booted right into a desktop, then someone has used that mac before. . .

That simple.